Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice needed for Newbie switching to DSLR

Default Re: Advice needed for Newbie switching to DSLR

Personally, I think if you're a beginner, AND on the budget, might as well drop the idea of the 50mm 1.8 Get the kit lens, it'll do you much more good than the 50mm1.8

50mm1.8 is one of the most bought lenses, and it's also one of the least used lenses as in (% of people using it actively / % of people who bought it).

As a beginner, I doubt you know your own shooting style yet. If you tie yourself down to a single prime lens, to most people it's almost certain death.

---

As for flash.. forget about the 430, get the Sigma Super DG 500. It's cheap, and it's very good.

If people say get the 50mm 1.8 even though it's slow, noisy but it's dirt cheap, then think about it. The Sigma Super DG 500 is dirt cheap at 375, and it's as good as its $700 counterpart, and it's going to be ALOT more useful than the 50 1.8.

dancemania> hi... not exactly. Think i still prefer canon at the moment.

unseen> hi... you are the first and only guy who is commenting and recommending on a non canon flash. Is it as good as canon or is there any reason why people is sticking to speedlite 430ex when Super DG 500 seems better? Does Super DG 500 has LCD control?

Have a friend ROM coming up and its indoor evening. Find that its a good opportunity to do some practice when i got my cam. Is 50mm1.8 really going to be useful during that evening? Or flash with kit lens is more than enough for my practice run. Dun have much of such opportunity to practice so dun wan to waste it

Quote Originally Posted by tazzy View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Was deciding between 350D and 400D intially. But it seems the major diff was 10mp, 5fps and sensor cleaner. As I am on a budget, was thinking getting 350D and with the money save, get better lens etc. Feel free to correct me. BTW i am a canon fan...
    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    at the speed that technology moves
    i'd always say buy new tech
    I was in the same situation as yourself with regards to either the 350D or the 400D. The relative difference between the 8 mega vs the 10 mega is an increase in "noise" levels for settings above ISO 400. The LCD layout for the 400D has also changed with the enlarged 2.5" LCD.

I have to disagree with ortega. IMHO its not necessary to always stay "in-touch" with the latest technology, especially if the improvements to over the "previous" technology are not significant. In our chosen hobby, its not the technology alone that determines the final picture, its how you use your equipment to bring out the subject creatively that matters most. Many a good photos were not taken with the latest DSLRs or 35mm SLRs.

I eventually settled for the 350D and saving the cash for upgrades in lens (a 70-300mm and a 17-50mm f/2.8). Hope that helps.

Cheers

Kelvin
    EOS 6D|EOS 50D|EOS 350D|EF-S 17-85mm|EF 24-70mm|EF 70-200mm|EF 50mm f/1.8|Sigma 70-300mm

Thanks Kelvin for your advice. Btw did you get any flash? If so, which did you end up in getting?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kelvgoh View Post
    I have to disagree with ortega. IMHO its not necessary to always stay "in-touch" with the latest technology, especially if the improvements to over the "previous" technology are not significant. In our chosen hobby, its not the technology alone that determines the final picture, its how you use your equipment to bring out the subject creatively that matters most. Many a good photos were not taken with the latest DSLRs or 35mm SLRs.

I eventually settled for the 350D and saving the cash for upgrades in lens (a 70-300mm and a 17-50mm f/2.8). Hope that helps.

Cheers

Kelvin
    i agree with you on the "skill is more important than the equipment used" thing
    in fact I am using a D70 which is quite old already,

but this is about buying equipment and not about shooting.
    and for a few hundred $ more you get new tech, which you will be happy with for a little longer than the old tech.

What is the price difference of the 350D and 400D body only?
    In 1 year time the 350D will start to look really old and the 400D will still be current.

We are taking about DSLRs and not film cameras

Is there any 400D users around to comment? Or even better someone who had tried both 350D and 400D. I heard that the time taken for the picture to be show for review takes awhile for 400D.

With the announcement of the release of the new ixus and G7 running on DIGIC III. Will there be any impact for the DSLR currently in the market? Price will drop?

dancemania> Is 50mm1.8 really going to be useful during that evening? Or flash with kit lens is more than enough for my practice run. Dun have much of such opportunity to practice so dun wan to waste it
    I would suggest that you stick to the kit lens if you intent to buy a flash. This will bring you thru' pretty far in terms of practising and fine tuning your skills and understanding more about digital photography.

Thanks Kelvin for your advice. Btw did you get any flash? If so, which did you end up in getting?
    Hi tazzy, I didn't get a flash as I don't see a need for one at the present moment. I've been playing around with AV & TV.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i agree with you on the "skill is more important than the equipment used" thing
    in fact I am using a D70 which is quite old already,

but this is about buying equipment and not about shooting.
    and for a few hundred $ more you get new tech, which you will be happy with for a little longer than the old tech.

What is the price difference of the 350D and 400D body only?
    In 1 year time the 350D will start to look really old and the 400D will still be current.

We are taking about DSLRs and not film cameras
    Hi Ortega, the additional feature doesn't really justify the additional $ spend for the 400D. Generally speaking the 400D is a 10 megapix 350D with self-cleaning CMOS and an enlarged LCD. Other than that, the rest of the features remain constant. The 350D will still be current as long as the 400D is current.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward77 View Post
    I would suggest that you stick to the kit lens if you intent to buy a flash. This will bring you thru' pretty far in terms of practising and fine tuning your skills and understanding more about digital photography.
    Agree with Edward, stick to the kit lens until you have the need for an upgrade in lens. I currently have 2 kit lenses, the 18-55mm (from the 350D) and the 28-80mm (from the 500N).

Cheers

Kelvin
    EOS 6D|EOS 50D|EOS 350D|EF-S 17-85mm|EF 24-70mm|EF 70-200mm|EF 50mm f/1.8|Sigma 70-300mm

Somehow rather I think that getting a 2nd hand 10D would be better than getting 350D since the body is only selling at ~750 in BnS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12