Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Friendly' Software

Default Re: 'Friendly' Software

Just wondering, does that means you guys also uses orginal MS windows, MS Office etc?

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    can't equate them together like this. The pirated vendors under constant fear of getting busted and jailed but seems like everyone got a better experience with them .

Every job will be bounded by tonnes of T&C. Doesn't mean that becos I got to abide lots of T&C gives me a reason to provide lousier service?
    Apparently, the pirates here doesn't seem to be in constant fear! Even for music CDs, the shops are selling PRC pressed discs. Hell knows if the royalties have been paid for because the shops are selling them for less than half the price of locally pressed or US pressed versions. What's even more intriguing is that the pasar malam booths are selling the same thing for less than half the price the shops are selling them!!

The shops will tell you they are legitimate because they don't know also. PRC is well known not to abide by copyright laws, so I'm sceptical of these discs.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 11th October 2006 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by canongrapherL View Post
    Just wondering, does that means you guys also uses orginal MS windows, MS Office etc?
    Yes. Of course they are legal copies. MS has made it easy and cheap for people to obtain license copies for non-commercial use. For example, if you buy a PC or notebook, it probably comes with Win XP Home. Otherwise, an OEM copy is about $150.

If you have someone in the same household who is studying or teaching, you can obtain the Students' and Teachers' Edition of MS Office, which can be installed into 3 machines in the household. This retails for under $200.

Otherwise, there are so many open software under GNU public license like GIMP, OpenOffice, Audacity etc. And also free versions of commercial software for non-commercial use like AVG Free Edition.

Even for engineering software, there are crippled Student's version which can be used for free even in commercial environment like Ansoft Designer SV.

a couple more reasons why using original is better.

chances of having virus-infected files on the original cd is almost zero. and if there is got someone to scream and shout at

the quality of pirated cd is questionable. i have seen a lot with bad files, missing files, incorrect copies (ie..file copies vs cd copies). yeah sure you can always bring back to the shop you got it. problem is every single copy has the same problem.

oh yeah...registering an original product sometimes brings you added benefits and goodies. like member area to download extras, tips and tricks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    a couple more reasons why using original is better.

chances of having virus-infected files on the original cd is almost zero. and if there is got someone to scream and shout at

the quality of pirated cd is questionable. i have seen a lot with bad files, missing files, incorrect copies (ie..file copies vs cd copies). yeah sure you can always bring back to the shop you got it. problem is every single copy has the same problem.

oh yeah...registering an original product sometimes brings you added benefits and goodies. like member area to download extras, tips and tricks, etc.
    i bought mobos with free norton antivirus oem... then the oem norton antivirus inside got virus... solid man... maybe dun say which brand...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

seems that either I am living in a diff world or that the ppl here in CS are mostly honest ethical software user.

Most of the ppl that I know uses pirated software. Be it Windows, Office, Visio or Adobe. Cracks and serial no are either obtained free online or purchased as pirated CD-ROM.

Kudos to you all honest ppl

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    i bought mobos with free norton antivirus oem... then the oem norton antivirus inside got virus... solid man... maybe dun say which brand...
    thats why i say "almost zero"

antivirus software with a virus huh? thats damn classic

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    Ya i guess so too... imagine i go to SLS to buy original software i either get kok or i get ignored... i bought once a software in SLS, i saw HWZ write cheapest about $140 for OEM then i went to 1 shop and ask he said $180, then i thought it might be box set, cos see all box sets in that shop... so i said, ok, gimme 1 then... then after that also OEM... duh... nowadays i only go for box sets when i see it...
    you? you will never get kok by sls one lah... i have higher chance of being kok lor

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Apparently, the pirates here doesn't seem to be in constant fear! Even for music CDs, the shops are selling PRC pressed discs. Hell knows if the royalties have been paid for because the shops are selling them for less than half the price of locally pressed or US pressed versions. What's even more intriguing is that the pasar malam booths are selling the same thing for less than half the price the shops are selling them!!

The shops will tell you they are legitimate because they don't know also. PRC is well known not to abide by copyright laws, so I'm sceptical of these discs.
    PRC labelled Music Videos, Audios, DVDs or anything related is suppose to be for CHINA market

as long as you see PRC labels in singapore, it is illegal liao...

vince123123
    Guests

Are you saying that an authentic PRC labelled media (ie it is original and made under license in China) constitutes infringing goods in Singapore?

Quote Originally Posted by slooow View Post
    PRC labelled Music Videos, Audios, DVDs or anything related is suppose to be for CHINA market

Quote Originally Posted by slooow View Post

u liddat say i machiam alot of illegal stuff in my room.. cos my DVDs all R1 (US & Canada) and R2 (Japan & UK), no R3 Local... only R3 HK...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

seems that either I am living in a diff world or that the ppl here in CS are mostly honest ethical software user.

Most of the ppl that I know uses pirated software. Be it Windows, Office, Visio or Adobe. Cracks and serial no are either obtained free online or purchased as pirated CD-ROM.

No, you live in the real world. Piracy advocates (or practitioners) wisely stay away from threads like these, but there are definitely much more illegal SW around than original stuff.

As much as I love the power of Adobe CS2, but because of its price(!!!!) I have to stick with using GIMP and may be checking out Photoshop Elements 5 soon to see if it fits my needs. At this point in time, I use several free image editing software, Irfanview for cropping and resizing (because it's small and fast!) and GIMP for more complicated works. I'm currently checking out Picasa also, seems like it's quite a useful software.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Are you saying that an authentic PRC labelled media (ie it is original and made under license in China) constitutes infringing goods in Singapore?
    It's the ethics. If you purchase software from countries where copyright laws are enforced, you are paying for the royalties. That is ethical. A piece of plastic and some manufacturing process is very cheap but you are actually paying for the intellectual property when you buy original and royalty paid goods.

The question lies in whether the PRC labeled CDs and DVDs are royalty paid. If they were, it is not likely that a CD with 10-20 songs cost as little as S$5. Those record producers and labels need to pay artists and recording engineers too!! They need to make a living! So pay them for what they are worth.

By buying pirated, these people who work hard don't get a cent at all. You will only be paying pirates who sell you stolen goods. I don't advocate nor do I want to fund these people. They are no better than robbers.

Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    Dear all,

Just to share something I encountered over the weekend which made me think. I was with a conversation with a friend of mine and somehow he brought out a topic on pirated softwares.

He knew I was into photography and so he asked why did I bother to spend so much money on Photoshop CS2 when you can get the pirated version across the causeway at $5 and features wise is the same! I couldn't answer him except to say I support the real version... hmmm... not a very convincing answer...

So I poise the question to you all. Why bother spending hundreds of bucks for it when you can get the same one at $5?

*Disclaimer: I am in no way of supportive of piracy by starting this thread
    It is like leeching your photo and making money from it
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100 View Post
    No, you live in the real world. Piracy advocates (or practitioners) wisely stay away from threads like these, but there are definitely much more illegal SW around than original stuff.
    But if you put yourself in the shoes of record producers, programmers where you make a living from the sale of software, you will understand how it feels like to have someone else making money out of your works. It really feels shitty!

Or you start to find people starting to sell your photographic work of art and you don't get a cent out of it.

Well, piracy advocates will always say claim that original software are overpriced.. but I am one who is hopeful that the prices will come down if more people buy legitmate versions. Programmers draw a salary. If few people buy, the software prices needs to be priced higher for the companies to break even.

Microsoft is one company who has tried proactively to lower the prices of the software in the hope that people buy original. But as long as the mentality of people doesn't change and still continue to feed the pirates, I think very soon, prices of MS software might probably go back up again..
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 11th October 2006 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    Be a MAN! Do the RIGHT thing!
    reminds me of russell peters line in one of his shows bout chinese man cannot do business with indian man.

vince123123
    Guests

Please read my post again - my question was based on the assumption that the PRC labelled media are genuine original products made under license in the PRC. This has nothign to do with pirated media.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    It's the ethics. If you purchase software from countries where copyright laws are enforced, you are paying for the royalties. That is ethical. A piece of plastic and some manufacturing process is very cheap but you are actually paying for the intellectual property when you buy original and royalty paid goods.

The question lies in whether the PRC labeled CDs and DVDs are royalty paid. If they were, it is not likely that a CD with 10-20 songs cost as little as S$5. Those record producers and labels need to pay artists and recording engineers too!! They need to make a living! So pay them for what they are worth.

By buying pirated, these people who work hard don't get a cent at all. You will only be paying pirates who sell you stolen goods. I don't advocate nor do I want to fund these people. They are no better than robbers.

When I bought my Adobe CS, I got a free upgrade to CS2. Sent in the receipt and waited for 3 months, nothing happened. So I emailed twice more to inquire status, still no reply. Then I called support line. A staff told me the upgrade period is over. I explained that I did send by post before deadline. One day later, they informed me that I am eligible for the upgrade, which made me feel better. To my surprise, they delivered a big box by Fedex that just contained a small box of CS2. Looked quite impressive. Now every time when I launch Photoshop, feel very good for the ownership. Last time I used freeware/shareware here and there, nowadays I just spend more time to learn Adobe. Besides Adobe, I also paid for licensed Macromedia and MS Office. Peace of mind. One lisence allows me to install on both my home desktop and laptop. I use open-source tools for everything else. Bad thing is: it makes me difficult to switch to Mac coz otherwise I got to purchase another lisence..

Quote Originally Posted by tomshen View Post
    When I bought my Adobe CS, I got a free upgrade to CS2. Sent in the receipt and waited for 3 months, nothing happened. So I emailed twice more to inquire status, still no reply. Then I called support line. A staff told me the upgrade period is over. I explained that I did send by post before deadline. One day later, they informed me that I am eligible for the upgrade, which made me feel better. To my surprise, they delivered a big box by Fedex that just contained a small box of CS2. Looked quite impressive. Now every time when I launch Photoshop, feel very good for the ownership. Last time I used freeware/shareware here and there, nowadays I just spend more time to learn Adobe. Besides Adobe, I also paid for licensed Macromedia and MS Office. Peace of mind. One lisence allows me to install on both my home desktop and laptop. I use open-source tools for everything else. Bad thing is: it makes me difficult to switch to Mac coz otherwise I got to purchase another lisence..
    Are you allowed to install the Adobe on both the notebook and the desktop? I know Macromedia allows that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast