Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

    As the haze is almost gone today, I went for a jog jus nw..then as I was going to a fitness corner near my block to do some situps etc, I saw that the sit up bench was partially burned liao..piangz...and the fitness corner is streaked wif torn rubber flooring, candles wax etc...I jus emailed my town council, hope that they can repair the area soon so tat the public can use it....

    This remind me of the past friday during the mooncake festival, I was at west coast park...saw some youngsters making a campfire.....there was alot of unwanted lanterns, burned fire crackers (nt sure if it is called tat), candles etc....rubbish such as tissue paper, food wrappings was thrown all over the place also (except in the rubbish bin)....

    Dunoe wat the childern or their parents is doing or learning nowadays...alot of ppl realli heck care abt the place they live in leh...To me, I would tink tat the parents carry the most responsibiltiy for their children's behaviour....but as usual, these parents will blame wk, school, society, gov etc (bascially is everybody else except themselves)...

    So what do you ppl think?

  2. #2
    Senior Member dominator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Amazon Forest
    Posts
    1,662

    Default Re: Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

    I think?

    This is because of urbanization!

    If the childrens belong to the kampong days, no one will complain and they will have more fun!
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

    This reality very hard to change. Burning of candle wax had been my childhood practice too during 80's. So you can imagine the present group of parents belong too?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    820

    Default Re: Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

    Sad to say ... majority of the kids are brought up by maids these days ...
    Both parents are busy working ...
    除了爱, 我一无所有

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

    Think it really depends on individuals................. some singaporeans really take pride to keep their community area clean, some just cannot be bothered....................... human nature is different

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

    I would like to see people who vandalise and litter to be punished by rebuilding the thing they destroyed, joining the cleaner cleaning the street for 2 weeks to 3 months (on repeated offence), and have a taste of their medicine .
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

    Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    I would like to see people who vandalise and litter to be punished by rebuilding the thing they destroyed, joining the cleaner cleaning the street for 2 weeks to 3 months (on repeated offence), and have a taste of their medicine .
    yah...tink the previous CWO work wonders for a while....before ppl start going back to littering again...hai....ppl jus never learn.....anyway nt sure CWO still haf anot leh...like seldom see ppl doing it liao....

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonus View Post
    This reality very hard to change. Burning of candle wax had been my childhood practice too during 80's. So you can imagine the present group of parents belong too?
    actually the burining of candle is still ok to me....I jus dun ustd why they have to burn the poor sit-up bench....now I got to find another place to exercise liao...

  9. #9
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

    i was getting worried when i saw kids burning candles in the playground (rubberised flooring), than i notice some adults sitting on the benches by the side (i assume they are parents of those kids). so i thought they will stop the kids. man i was wrong. the kids than started to burn more candles. point to note is all local singaporean.

    than a ang moh family came to the playground. the lady saw and couldnt believe her eyes (cause she was telling her hubby), she than took the trouble to explain to the kids the danger of such act and the kids stop.

    i guess although singapore is a developed country, but our citizens have a long road to catch up with the status.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    i was getting worried when i saw kids burning candles in the playground (rubberised flooring), than i notice some adults sitting on the benches by the side (i assume they are parents of those kids). so i thought they will stop the kids. man i was wrong. the kids than started to burn more candles. point to note is all local singaporean.

    than a ang moh family came to the playground. the lady saw and couldnt believe her eyes (cause she was telling her hubby), she than took the trouble to explain to the kids the danger of such act and the kids stop.

    i guess although singapore is a developed country, but our citizens have a long road to catch up with the status.
    Actually jus went and view the Stomp website, there r quite a few examples where ppl bascially jus burned public property...it is no longer jus as simple as just burining candles only liao....

    Just hope that these culprits could be make to perosnally repair the damages they cause...

  11. #11

    Default Re: Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    i was getting worried when i saw kids burning candles in the playground (rubberised flooring), than i notice some adults sitting on the benches by the side (i assume they are parents of those kids). so i thought they will stop the kids. man i was wrong. the kids than started to burn more candles. point to note is all local singaporean.

    You are right, few years back there is one incident one rubberised playground in Khatib was burn down. The only way we can stop S'poreans doing something is up to gov to BAN BAN and more BAN.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonus View Post
    You are right, few years back there is one incident one rubberised playground in Khatib was burn down. The only way we can stop S'poreans doing something is up to gov to BAN BAN and more BAN.
    wrong! there's no way to stop people of doing something like that. Soon, someone will complain to government in the Strait Times about rubberised playground. And ask them to change it to some fireproof material

  13. #13

    Default Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee;
    i guess although singapore is a developed country, but our citizens have a long road to catch up with the status.
    True, because we are relatively young compared to most of the developed nations

    The people's mindsets have not caught up with their wealth


    If you compare our situation to China................

  14. #14

    Smile Re: Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

    actually, the so-called celebration of mid autumn festival does not help with the haze pollution here. the mass lighting of candles and (unfortunate) burning of paper lanterns adds to the pollution too. not to mention, the vandalism of common facilities. no thanks to parents who sanctioned or adults who participated in such activities. why does the town councils have to spend $$ or assign cleaners to clean up the mess created by us? isn't this considered as littering or/and vandalism.

    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post
    As the haze is almost gone today, I went for a jog jus nw..then as I was going to a fitness corner near my block to do some situps etc, I saw that the sit up bench was partially burned liao..piangz...and the fitness corner is streaked wif torn rubber flooring, candles wax etc...I jus emailed my town council, hope that they can repair the area soon so tat the public can use it....

    This remind me of the past friday during the mooncake festival, I was at west coast park...saw some youngsters making a campfire.....there was alot of unwanted lanterns, burned fire crackers (nt sure if it is called tat), candles etc....rubbish such as tissue paper, food wrappings was thrown all over the place also (except in the rubbish bin)....

    Dunoe wat the childern or their parents is doing or learning nowadays...alot of ppl realli heck care abt the place they live in leh...To me, I would tink tat the parents carry the most responsibiltiy for their children's behaviour....but as usual, these parents will blame wk, school, society, gov etc (bascially is everybody else except themselves)...

    So what do you ppl think?

  15. #15

    Smile Re: Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

    why is 'burning of candles' ok? who cleans up or removes the wax?


    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post
    actually the burining of candle is still ok to me....I jus dun ustd why they have to burn the poor sit-up bench....now I got to find another place to exercise liao...

  16. #16

    Default Re: Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

    Mid-autumn festival is nothing compared to all the burnings that take place during Hungry Ghost.

  17. #17

    Smile Re: Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

    yes, you have a point there. however, the practice of burning of incense papers/big(now reduced) candles associated with 7th month ghost festival is traditional. for mass burning of candles, i cannot say the same for mid-autumn festival.

    Quote Originally Posted by Singer high View Post
    Mid-autumn festival is nothing compared to all the burnings that take place during Hungry Ghost.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    actually, the so-called celebration of mid autumn festival does not help with the haze pollution here. the mass lighting of candles and (unfortunate) burning of paper lanterns adds to the pollution too. not to mention, the vandalism of common facilities. no thanks to parents who sanctioned or adults who participated in such activities. why does the town councils have to spend $$ or assign cleaners to clean up the mess created by us? isn't this considered as littering or/and vandalism.
    Ya this may be considered as littering or vandalism but how is the police going to catch the culprit? If in the end nobody is caught or penalised, it is still up to the town council to get somebody to repair rite? If they jus leave it as it is, sooner or later somebody going to complain to the newspaper lor.....


    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    why is 'burning of candles' ok? who cleans up or removes the wax?
    At least to me, buring of candles is still ok. the wax most likely will be removed over time (maybe scrap off bit by bit by rain or somebody walking past it...The damage most probably is nt permanent...

    but burining of benches, rubbish bin etc is different...the damage done can nt be easily remove by cleaners liao....most likely will haf to be replaced...
    Last edited by scramblur11; 9th October 2006 at 03:41 PM.

  19. #19

    Smile Re: Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

    can you imagine the scale of candle burning following the mid autumn festival?

    Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11 View Post
    At least to me, buring of candles is still ok. the wax most likely will be removed over time (maybe scrap off bit by bit by rain or somebody walking past it...The damage most probably is nt permanent...
    Last edited by reachme2003; 9th October 2006 at 04:55 PM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Will ppl in Spore ever learn to be civil minded?

    well, at least no one tied firecrackers to dogs' tails.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •