Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Living with the haze

Default Re: Living with the haze

that's uncilivized way of plantation. These are bunch of lazy people who make easy way out. Malaysia, thailand and rest of world do not do plantation ?

"for a while " ? they have been doing it for years.

Quote Originally Posted by bumortic View Post
    no haze means no plantation, no plantation means no food. so just bear with it for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by bumortic View Post
    i just take this few days or weeks as an addition to the 7mth ghost burning thingy. well in fact. the ghost burning thingy is even worst. u get black soot in ur house and all that.
    Better black soot than black ghosts in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by evershine View Post
    Just some random thoughts.. one can either donate money for them to clear the forest using proper menthod or send people over as volunteer to clear together with them using proper method. How much money, time and effort is required to have clean air?

we had, afew years back, singapore and malaysia had contributed a large sum of money to indonesia to help fight these burning by spotting the hot spots.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

its the mgmt issue ,

farmers are no rewarded for the method of clearing but more on the yield of the crop, if it put food on the table and brings in the money , why not burn , fertilizer needs money , machine needs money , the rich getting richer , the money that really flows to farmers is small.

eg if the proper of way of cleaning the crop will translate to price increase of sgd10 dollars will u still buy it? going further if its a stable food , this will increase the overall costs.

if we are suffering for a day , they r suffering for the year,

Quote Originally Posted by Zenten View Post
    But we don't get this crap from agricultural countries like China and Thailand ........ why only from the bloody Indonesians ................. They are IMO a bunch of selfish idiots
    you are the one who is idiot, IMO.
    China is so far from Singapore. Thailand do not have as much as forest as Indonesia. And even if it does, it also depends on where the wind blows.

Quote Originally Posted by Caussway View Post
    that's uncilivized way of plantation. These are bunch of lazy people who make easy way out. Malaysia, thailand and rest of world do not do plantation ?

"for a while " ? they have been doing it for years.
    I agree is uncivilized way of plantation. But they just don't have a choice. This type of plantation is done because there's no irrigation. It's not the same as rice fields where the same piece of land can be reused over and over again due to fertilization and irrigation.

And yes, it happened to in Malaysia, Thailand, and rest of the world since the day human discovered plantation. You never heard of it before because it doesn't affect your well being so you don't care about it.

i dont know want to laugh or want to cry when newspaper reported their govt claim it is beyond their control, and that the even pray for rain.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    i dont know want to laugh or want to cry when newspaper reported their govt claim it is beyond their control, and that the even pray for rain.
    well, but indonesia is really really really really big when compared to singapore. is like an equlivent of tracking someone throwing a cigarette butt on the floor in singapore, too hard to track. i mean, there are like 506(!) stupid hotspots burning right now, quite impossible to control it unless foreign aid is provided.

precisely! afew country already extend helping hand in the past and have now, but no replies from them yet (source from newspaper).

Smile Re: Living with the haze

maybe, pray to their Allah for divine power to intervene.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post

Smile Re: Living with the haze

yes, it is a very big country. it is a tran border pollution issue. so, the region eg, asean(bad choice as it is powerless) or even, global bodies to intervene. it is overdue for effective action to be taken. it is almost a decade problem.

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    well, but indonesia is really really really really big when compared to singapore. is like an equlivent of tracking someone throwing a cigarette butt on the floor in singapore, too hard to track. i mean, there are like 506(!) stupid hotspots burning right now, quite impossible to control it unless foreign aid is provided.

Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer View Post
    I agree is uncivilized way of plantation. But they just don't have a choice. This type of plantation is done because there's no irrigation. It's not the same as rice fields where the same piece of land can be reused over and over again due to fertilization and irrigation.

And yes, it happened to in Malaysia, Thailand, and rest of the world since the day human discovered plantation. You never heard of it before because it doesn't affect your well being so you don't care about it.
    Slash and burn method has basically been curbed in Malaysia and Thailand. I guess like what was mentioned, Indonesia is not only big, but spread out widely. There are a lot of remote areas which the central government (especially a weak and inefficient one) has very little control. And these poor farmers, many have no choice...it is either slash and burn, the fast way to clear the jungles, or no food.

It is no point throwing insults at the Indonesian farmers and government, it is not going to solve the problem. One solution that was suggested by a professor in the newspaper was for the farmers to do their slash and burn in February during the monsoon season...think the wind will be blowing different direction and the haze won't affect the neighboring countries.

But I think the best solution would be for ASEAN to pressure the Indon government to do the right thing and perhaps provide aid to Indon to educate the farmers and help them clear the jungles the proper way.

I think there isn't really a haze over at Indonesia. They burn, smoke goes up and the wind brings it away. At one spot it's jus smoke from 1 fire. Whereas as the wind collects all the smoke from 500+ smoke points, it creates the hazer we experience here. The indonesians practice what we call shufting cultivation so it will involve burning down to clearn newe grd whenever they shift their farms.

Places like Thailand and China produce mostly rice and rice farmers dun practice such cultivation.

It's hard for our govt to do anything except protest. And it surely isn't easy sending police into the jungle to catch the small time farmers.

No farms = no food. So how/ Find a way to clear land and fertilize it without burning?

i got cough.. bad 4 my health..

Just now saw a bit haze appearing.

Quote Originally Posted by alwayschampion View Post
    Just now saw a bit haze appearing.
    i think it just got promoted from "abit" to "quite some bit". my eyes are like .

i just heard that indonesia just reduced the number of hot spots from 6000 to about 600, hmmmmm......lets hope it would end soon.

the haze was so bad that i nearly had to cancel my lomo appt with my friend.. thank god it cleared on the very morning when we were supposed to go out and take pictures of salvadore dali's works.

drink more water!

Two ways to stop this non sense …

1.The Indonesian government claims that they couldn’t stop the fire in time. Well don’t put out the fire then and just let it continue to burn until nothing is left there

2.Ask the sg government to create a gigantic fan and blow everything back at them

Hehehe …

Quote Originally Posted by seankyh View Post
    Maybe we need to set up online petition leow and get all the bloggers from both Malaysia and Singapore to support and spread the word. Seems like the only way to get things moving sometimes.. trouble is I dunno how to word a petition

I think the petition should go to the ministers and menteri-menteri in charged of the environment. They must answer for this as it clearly shows their failure in working with their counterparts in the neighbouring countries to prevent this. YEAR AFTER YEAR!!!!

I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore..
    I always jokingly said, if Indonesia really want to go war with Singapore or Malaysia, they do not need to send any troops here. They can just burn their own forest. Sure win already

Quote Originally Posted by lightstocker View Post
    Two ways to stop this non sense …

1.The Indonesian government claims that they couldn’t stop the fire in time. Well don’t put out the fire then and just let it continue to burn until nothing is left there

2.Ask the sg government to create a gigantic fan and blow everything back at them

Hehehe …
    then your fan would have to be hella big in order the blow the haze back to them. imagine the waters that they would have to travel across and also, having to go against the natural winds.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123