Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Living with the haze

Default Re: Living with the haze

no haze means no plantation, no plantation means no food. so just bear with it for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by dr34mc4st3r View Post
    best thing now is to stay in aircon areas. lol

Not really best, last nite at Suntec the haze also seems to come inside the building. Quite serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenten View Post
    Can't our officials do something about it?
    Remember, we are just a little RED DOT ....
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyspk View Post
    I use to fantasize bout Singapore building a transparent dome covering the entire island. Since sg doesn't have 4 seasons, we can control the temperature of SG as long as we're inside the domE! Just make sure we have enough trees for oxygen! muahahaha!!
    i prefer tis...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Colony_(Gundam)
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Remember, we are just a little RED DOT ....
    so they are the big bad wolf?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I was out last night, and thats the worse ive seen it in my three years of living here. I literally couldnt see about 20m infront of me. The haze is horrible, it gets caught in your throat, i ended up buying so much water, alos, after ones had a few, navigating my way to a cab in haze wasnt that fun. I think i was nearly run over by a cab, but cant quite remember.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyspk View Post
    I use to fantasize bout Singapore building a transparent dome covering the entire island. Since sg doesn't have 4 seasons, we can control the temperature of SG as long as we're inside the domE! Just make sure we have enough trees for oxygen! muahahaha!!
    How would planes get in and out, and also, boats?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bumortic View Post
    no haze means no plantation, no plantation means no food. so just bear with it for awhile.
    But we don't get this crap from agricultural countries like China and Thailand ........ why only from the bloody Indonesians ................. They are IMO a bunch of selfish idiots

I think it's a good reminder that we all live on same planet, and that other people's problems are also our problems.

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    How would planes get in and out, and also, boats?
    he see too much SCI-FI liao... he thought of building a defense shield... perhaps a laser grid... or force field...

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    he see too much SCI-FI liao... he thought of building a defense shield... perhaps a laser grid... or force field...

Haha, a dome would be worse then the haze! How can singapore trade, all the boats would go to Malaysia or HK liao!

Although, if teh whole of SG could be air-conned? hmmm

we should charge them for their smoke particles renting our airspace. wait, they are infringing into our airspace. to the international arbitration courts!
    Canon 5D & 35L + Panasonic Lumix GX1 & 20mm
    Flickr | Buy Baobao's photobook!

Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    Haha, a dome would be worse then the haze! How can singapore trade, all the boats would go to Malaysia or HK liao!

Although, if teh whole of SG could be air-conned? hmmm
    eh... then Earth-lover will complain about global warming...

as an indonesian... sorry leh >____<

Just some random thoughts.. one can either donate money for them to clear the forest using proper menthod or send people over as volunteer to clear together with them using proper method. How much money, time and effort is required to have clean air?

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."- Jim Elliot

But we don't get this crap from agricultural countries like China and Thailand ........ why only from the bloody Indonesians ................. They are IMO a bunch of selfish idiots
    We don't get it from China because they are too far away from us. HK is suffering from haze partly because of ShenZhen industrial factory smoke outlet.

think 1st before u speak, ur the selfish one here.

Quote Originally Posted by evershine View Post
    Just some random thoughts.. one can either donate money for them to clear the forest using proper menthod or send people over as volunteer to clear together with them using proper method. How much money, time and effort is required to have clean air?

I dont think its a matter of that. The buring is a very good way to do it. It removes the crop whilst revitalising the soil and adding alot of nutrients etc.

It appears to be a very slash and burn style of production

An area of primary or secondary forest is selected, and the vegetation is cut and allowed to dry. Large trees are often girdled and allowed to die standing. Portions of the cut timber or saplings are often gathered to use for firewood or to make charcoal. After some period of time (a week to a few months) the residual dry vegetation is burned. Plots are cultivated for a few seasons (usually one to five years) and then abandoned as fertility declines and weeds invade.

Burning removes the vegetation and may release a pulse of nutrients to fertilize the soil. Ash also increases the pH of the soil, a process which makes certain nutrients (especially phosphorus) more available in the short term, but almost always to the detriment of long term.
    Although a dilemma for overpopulated tropical countries where subsistence farming may be the only viable method of sustaining many families, the consequences of slash-and-burn techniques to ecosystems are almost always deleterious when practised on a large scale. The principal vulnerability is the nutrient-poor soil, pervasive in most tropical forests. When biomass is extracted even for one harvest of wood or charcoal, the residual soil value is heavily diminished for further growth of any type of vegetation. Sometimes there are several cycles of slash-and-burn within a few years time span; for example in eastern Madagascar the following scenario occurs commonly. The first wave might be cutting of all trees for wood use. A few years later, saplings are harvested to make charcoal, and within the next year the plot is burned to create a quick flush of nutrients for grass to feed the family zebu. If adjacent plots are treated in a similar fashion, large scale erosion will usually ensue, since there are no roots or temporary water storage in nearby canopies to arrest the surface runoff. Thus, any small remaining amounts of nutrients are washed away. The area may now be an example of desertification, and no further growth of any type may arise for generations.

The ecological ramifications of the above scenario are further magnified, because tropical forests are habitats for extremely biologically diverse ecosystems, typically containing large numbers of endemic and endangered species. Therefore, the role of slash-and-burn is significant in the current Holocene extinction event occurring on the planet Earth.
    Last edited by wildstallion; 7th October 2006 at 12:58 PM.

i just take this few days or weeks as an addition to the 7mth ghost burning thingy. well in fact. the ghost burning thingy is even worst. u get black soot in ur house and all that.

PSI is 102 now..
    eat. drink. shoot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast