Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 47891011 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 236

Thread: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

  1. #161

    Default Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    there you have it, as long as you are 1 of those who will be saved, others can die.
    Just move to the side a bit. nobody needs to die. how many times do i have to say, with my speed nobody is going to die. just move a bit will make you lose face is it?

  2. #162
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,467

    Default Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

    dont know where and why you get the idea that people will feel they loose face.

    my last post here. no point trying to talk sense into TS. pls look at all the replies you get, digest it. believe me, it will make you a better person.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  3. #163

    Default Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

    In developed nations that advocate cycling, they have bicycle only lanes and pedestrians must never cross it or they will be in violation.

    Right now, we only have this in parks. So we have to give way when cycling on pavements. The town councils should think about implementing bicycle lanes in the heartlands as part of a healthy livestyle campaign.

  4. #164
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    24,053
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

    Quote Originally Posted by gary wong View Post
    Just move to the side a bit. nobody needs to die. how many times do i have to say, with my speed nobody is going to die. just move a bit will make you lose face is it?
    if you cycle to the side will lose face is it?
    why must you insist that people give way to you?

    why can't you cycle around them?

  5. #165

    Default Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    if you cycle to the side will lose face is it?
    why must you insist that people give way to you?

    why can't you cycle around them?
    that is what the bike bell is for. if you don't stand right in the middle of the pavement, of course i can cycle around you. when i am a pedestrian, i give way. why can't you do the same?

  6. #166
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The 13th floor
    Posts
    776

    Default Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

    Quote Originally Posted by gary wong View Post
    that is what the bike bell is for. if you don't stand right in the middle of the pavement, of course i can cycle around you. when i am a pedestrian, i give way. why can't you do the same?
    Many people dun 're-act' well to bells. Animals do.
    Maybe u should cycle near & say 'excuse me'. I believe most pedestrians will be happy to let u pass.

  7. #167

    Default Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

    Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter View Post
    Gary, a few points:

    1. Since you're technically not allowed to cycle on the pavement, if you choose to do so, please consider yourself as a "guest" and ride carefully and slowly. If you come across pedestrians, slow down and give way (not expect it the other way around). It's not a matter of targeting anyone, but accidents can and do happen, and a pedestrian is less likely to react quickly enough to a fast-moving bicycle to avoid an accident.

    2. If your brakes cannot stop your bike faster than a taxi or bus, I seriously suggest you get them checked before you ride on the road.

    3. You should also assume that every vehicle you ride alongside with is going to suddenly stop and swerve in your direction. It's called defensive riding. Assume that everyone hates cyclists, whether or not it's true. That way you're more likely to stay alive. I worry for you.
    Gary, I hope you didn't miss seeing StreetShooter's post, as I'm sure he put in some effort articulating his points across. You took the effort to reply everyone else's posts but skipped StreetShooter's.

  8. #168
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    24,053
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

    Quote Originally Posted by gary wong View Post
    that is what the bike bell is for. if you don't stand right in the middle of the pavement, of course i can cycle around you. when i am a pedestrian, i give way. why can't you do the same?
    when i am a cyclist i cycle around the pedestrain, why can't you
    when I am a driver a drive away from the cyclist, why can't you do the same for the pedestrain?

    you kena bully on the roads, so now you want to bully the pedestrains?
    how would you like it if the cars just horn at you and ask you to give way?
    instead of driving towards the next lane so as not to knock you down

    i worry for you as well
    Last edited by ortega; 8th October 2006 at 11:45 PM.

  9. #169
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    The 13th floor
    Posts
    776

    Default Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

    It's as good as I allowed u stay over at my place.
    & u come into my room & say 'Hey, get off the bed, I need to sleep'.

  10. #170

    Smile Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

    even if the pedestrian is standing on one side of the pavement, i will bring my bell as a safety warning that i am approaching from their rear.

    Quote Originally Posted by gary wong View Post
    that is what the bike bell is for. if you don't stand right in the middle of the pavement, of course i can cycle around you. when i am a pedestrian, i give way. why can't you do the same?
    Last edited by reachme2003; 9th October 2006 at 10:03 AM.

  11. #171
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

    Well said. It sometimes takes a look in the mirror to get the drift of things.

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    when i am a cyclist i cycle around the pedestrain, why can't you
    when I am a driver a drive away from the cyclist, why can't you do the same for the pedestrain?

    you kena bully on the roads, so now you want to bully the pedestrains?
    how would you like it if the cars just horn at you and ask you to give way?
    instead of driving towards the next lane so as not to knock you down

    i worry for you as well

  12. #172

    Default Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    even if the pedestrian is standing on one side of the pavement, i will bring my bell as a warning that i am approaching from their rear.
    that is what i do also. how on earth is moving to one side considered bullying you? you can just turn a bit and walk more towards the side, it costs you nothing! sometimes i don't even have to ring the bell, i cycle over a drain cover, it makes a sound and the guy in front move to one side. see! so nice! i cycle over say thank you and continue.

    why do we have to insists on the law so much. are singaporeans so law minded that every single little thing has to be learn from the books? the law says that bikes are not allowed, so haha! you bikers watch out! no more giving you way!

  13. #173
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    8,168

    Default Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

    Quote Originally Posted by gary wong View Post
    wow! such strong reactions. seriously, if a cyclist see a pregnant woman walking on the pavement, any cyclist would slow down and stop and glide across. chill man..

    my main point is that some people are really "attitude" and really don't like to give a little way for bikers. this is the only thing i don't understand, we can share the pavement right?

    there are many different types of bikes

    mountain bikes
    road bikes
    bmx bikes
    lady bike
    malay custom bike i see around now hip hop kind with music

    bikes on the pavement are usually mountain bikes, bmx bikes, lady bike. really. look around.
    the gears are usually not as high as roadies. this is not tour de france

    the speed is seriously not going to cause anybody to die. maybe a few scratches. that's it.
    no one is seriously going to get injured. if not why Japan encourages people to cycle on the pavement? really look around at the biker next time on the pavement. We don't speed that much. we just want to share the road is that too much to ask?
    Last time when my wife was pregnant, she nearly got hit a few time by the
    speeding cyclists.
    They don't slow down, instead they speed pass..usually are those people with
    those expensive bicycle trying to show off..
    Now after some upgrading, a pavement for pedestrian & cycling track were built
    but those show off cyclist still cycle on the pavement.. speeding pass pedestrian
    showing off how well they can control the cycle..
    Not all riders are considerate as what you thought..
    Last edited by donchua; 9th October 2006 at 12:13 AM.

  14. #174
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    24,053
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

    Quote Originally Posted by gary wong View Post
    that is what i do also. how on earth is moving to one side considered bullying you? you can just turn a bit and walk more towards the side, it costs you nothing!
    well said, now you just need to do what you expect others to do for you.
    It does not cost you a thing, just turn your handlebar a bit, go over the grass and then turn back onto the pavement. no one gets hurt

  15. #175
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    1,479

    Default Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

    Quote Originally Posted by donchua View Post
    Last time when my wife was pregnant, she nearly got hit a few time by the
    speeding cyclists.
    They don't slow down, instead they speed pass..usually are those people with
    those expensive bicycle trying to show off..
    Now after some upgrading, a pavement for pedestrian & cycling track were built
    but those show off cyclist still cycle on the pavement.. speeding pass pedestrian
    showing off how well they can control the cycle..
    Not all riders are considerate as what you thought..

    Actually I have seen riders riding on pedestrian track and pedestrain walking on cycling track also... sometimes it required both parties to cooperate to prevent accidents....

  16. #176

    Default Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

    Since so Blood Puking ... Dun cycle lar ...
    If want to cycle .. Go to the road side .. Cycle till the Max speed u like ..

    Just be happy .. Might Die under the Bus or Car anytime ..

  17. #177
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

    He just wants pedestrians to give way to him cos he's scared of the cars, but he doesn't realise pedestrians are scared of him. :P

    Oh and gary, to add on, next time a car honks at you while you are cycling on the road, please move your handlebars and get off the road. Doesn't cost you a thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    well said, now you just need to do what you expect others to do for you.
    It does not cost you a thing, just turn your handlebar a bit, go over the grass and then turn back onto the pavement. no one gets hurt
    Last edited by vince123123; 9th October 2006 at 12:53 AM.

  18. #178
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

    Law has nothing to do with learning things from books.

    Why not I knock you down and then tell you not to care about the law?

    Quote Originally Posted by gary wong View Post
    why do we have to insists on the law so much. are singaporeans so law minded that every single little thing has to be learn from the books? the law says that bikes are not allowed, so haha! you bikers watch out! no more giving you way!

  19. #179

    Default Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

    Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter View Post
    Gary, a few points:

    1. Since you're technically not allowed to cycle on the pavement, if you choose to do so, please consider yourself as a "guest" and ride carefully and slowly. If you come across pedestrians, slow down and give way (not expect it the other way around). It's not a matter of targeting anyone, but accidents can and do happen, and a pedestrian is less likely to react quickly enough to a fast-moving bicycle to avoid an accident.

    2. If your brakes cannot stop your bike faster than a taxi or bus, I seriously suggest you get them checked before you ride on the road.

    3. You should also assume that every vehicle you ride alongside with is going to suddenly stop and swerve in your direction. It's called defensive riding. Assume that everyone hates cyclists, whether or not it's true. That way you're more likely to stay alive. I worry for you.
    Well said.

    Someone here chose to ignore this. Next time I come across a certain cyclist ringing the bell indiscriminately, I'll throw a banana skin lined with grease in the path of that cyclist and make sure that "certain cyclist" will skid and fall

    Oh and don't worry, the fall from a bicycle will not cause serious injury to the "certain cyclist" - only some bruises

  20. #180

    Default Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

    Quote Originally Posted by gary wong View Post
    that is what i do also. how on earth is moving to one side considered bullying you? you can just turn a bit and walk more towards the side, it costs you nothing! sometimes i don't even have to ring the bell, i cycle over a drain cover, it makes a sound and the guy in front move to one side. see! so nice! i cycle over say thank you and continue.

    why do we have to insists on the law so much. are singaporeans so law minded that every single little thing has to be learn from the books? the law says that bikes are not allowed, so haha! you bikers watch out! no more giving you way!
    Actually, I give way to bikers due to CONCERN about my own safety. Personally, I just wish they stay OFF the pavements and stick to the roads as stated in the law.

    If you don't know how to cycle on the road, DON'T cycle. The pavements in Singapore are NOT meant for cyclist. Too narrow and it is against the law.

    I wish the traffic police will do something about cycling on the pavements....

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 47891011 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •