Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

Default Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

if you guys have seen the way youngsters in bukit batok and bukit panjang (i stay bb, frequent visit to bp) cycle, you will understand my concern. like the saying goes, seeing is beliving.

their life means nothing to them, dashing across zebra crossing and traffic light like the are king of the road. dont care about those people standing, waiting to cross / those who are already crossing the road. dont care if oncoming car may run over them. speeding along the pavement.

some do wheelies in the carpark, use the pillars at the void deck as obsticle course, cycle into bus stop full of people waiting for bus, etc etc.....

few bad eggs some may say, but isnt terrorisium also cause by a handfull of extremist???
    Last edited by denniskee; 8th October 2006 at 02:47 AM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    if you guys have seen the way youngsters in bukit batok and bukit panjang (i stay bb, frequent visit to bp) cycle, you will understand my concern. like the saying goes, seeing is beliving.

their life means nothing to them, dashing across zebra crossing and traffic light like the are king of the road. dont care about those people standing, waiting to cross / those who are already crossing the road. dont care if oncoming car may run over them. speeding along the pavement.

some do wheelies in the carpark, use the pillars at the void deck as obsticle course, cycle into bus stop full of people waiting for bus, etc etc.....

few bad eggs some may say, but isnt terrorisium also cause by a handfull of extremist???
    not all cyclists are like this. just because a few cyclists are stunt bikers doesn't mean that we have to totally disallow ALL cyclists from using the pavement.

we cannot judge a religion just because of a few terrorists.

me not judging any religon, just pointing out even a small group of bad eggs can do ir-reversal demage.

pls answer my post 117.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

post 117?

about the pregnant woman and people carrying young children.
    first of all, NOT all cyclist are going to be so suay and hit pregnant women and children. you make it sound like if any cyclist ride on the pavement, he will be like evil keneval. Ssceesh. we don't purposely target pregnant women and children. jesus.

the probability of hitting pedestrains is seriously small compared to the probability of a big bus or car hitting the cyclist. New Bus drivers sometimes cannot judge well enough. taxi drivers for some reason, maybe because bicycles don't need to pay road tax, hate us. they overtake and suddenly brake to get passengers. Bicycle brakes are not that good to stop immediately.

please i am only speaking up for the "good guys" the guys that cycle slowly ( not the crazy stunt bikers type ok ) and please just want to share the pavement. is that too much to ask?

I myself am a very avid cyclist, mostly on my bike for either a form of transport during the weekends or just for the fun of it. Riding on the roads in Singapore is generally safe. I can say that as the only road accident I was involved in was due to my fault in not checking my blind spot.

I can agar that 95% of road users are generally cyclist-friendly and would be cautious enough to leave a liberal amount of space before passing by you. Fortunately they also have quite a good amount of patience and would stay behind slower cyclists without horning them.

For the pavement thing, although it's the law, it's sure as hell not enforced. I myself believe that you can't ask ALL cyclists to cycle along the road as unlike a car, or a motorbike, you are required to be licensed which certifies that you are competent and safe enough to use the roads after meeting the pre-defined standard.

Cyclist on the other hand do not have anything to deem them proficient in using the roads. If this pavement thing was really stricly enforced, you would have casual cyclists endangering their lives not being experienced enough to ride safely and competently on the road as well as the lives of other motorists.

I ride on the road as I feel that I am capable and experienced enough. For me, if you are not confident at all riding on the road then by all means use the pavement and just exercise caution when having to avoid or pass by pedestrians; remember that they have the right of way and their safety should be your number one concern. Pedestrians (especially those who complain about cyclists) should understand that not all cyclists are capable to ride on the road and have no chioce but to use the pavement. Convenience for safety is not an option.

Until roads can be really cyclist-friendly (something like Australia), there will still be a lot of cyclist using the pavement. Unfortunately courtesy and patience are not Singaporeans' best traits. If all of us can understand each other's situation, then there won't be this argument. But that's probably in a more or less perfect world. Till then for all the cyclist, ride safe.
    if my camera is there at the right moment, click, all I have to do is accept it.
    -edouard boubat

Smile Re: Cycling on the pavement, who has the right of way?

ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    i do not wish to know, if you do, ask mr policeman yourself
    I do not have anything to prove

you were so sure then?

i think it is called common sense

so sure?

you can get fined for riding on the pavement, so there is a law against it

Quote Originally Posted by gary wong View Post
    not all cyclists are like this. just because a few cyclists are stunt bikers doesn't mean that we have to totally disallow ALL cyclists from using the pavement.

we cannot judge a religion just because of a few terrorists.
    I am not sure if you are confusing issues.

The issue at the present moment is not the attitude of cyclists or pedestrians. There are good cyclists and bad cyclists (I have seen plenty of bad cyclists - and of course good cyclists). And there are good pedestrians and bad pedestrians.

The issue is this. At this moment, cyclists do not have a right to be on the pavement. You can think this regulation/legislature is wrong/unfair/impractical/discriminating, etc. And you might ne right. But this is the regulation. On the pavements, cyclists are at best, "guests", if not "intruders". "Guests" and "intruders" do not tell residents to "Please move off".

So what can you do? What can you do to this piece of legislature which you feel should be changed?

Go write to the forum. Write to the Home Affairs Minister. Is there a cyclists "association". Get them to write to the relevant authorities.

Hopefully with such actions, there will come a time where cyclists can be allowed on pavements, and maybe even better, their own tracks.

But until then, you are "guests" and "intruders".

the probability of hitting pedestrains is seriously small compared to the probability of a big bus or car hitting the cyclist. New Bus drivers sometimes cannot judge well enough. taxi drivers for some reason, maybe because bicycles don't need to pay road tax, hate us. they overtake and suddenly brake to get passengers. Bicycle brakes are not that good to stop immediately.

please i am only speaking up for the "good guys" the guys that cycle slowly ( not the crazy stunt bikers type ok ) and please just want to share the pavement. is that too much to ask?
    omg?! are you SURE the probability of hitting pedestrians is seriously small compared to the probability of a big bus or car hitting the cyclist??? some pedestrian walkways are so narrow, when there is an cycling coming from the front or rear cyclist, where do you expect the pedestrian to 'siam' to? Jump on the road and face traffic just so they can be 'gracious' to you, the good cyclist who wants to buy his chicken rice???

so you're saying that new bus drivers and taxi drivers can't 'judge well enough', but all you 'good guy' cyclists can judge well enough??? talk about class stereotyping for the benefit of your side of the argument man.

and yes, IT IS TOO MUCH TO ASK. Since you keep repeating this, I hope everyone will reply with "IT IS TOO MUCH TO ASK" so maybe you'll get your answer, finally.

doctor, pls back up your statement with the relevant legislation/s pls.

Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    The issue is this. At this moment, cyclists do not have a right to be on the pavement.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    doctor, pls back up your statement with the relevant legislation/s pls.
    No, I am not interested to check up the legislation. But see post #92. I am making the assumption that people like Streetshooter who also cycles, was right.

Would you be kind enough to ask Streetshooter to back up his assertion about the legislation? Why did you not ask SS to back up his assertion?

BTW, for selfish reasons, I would really like to see cycling tracks for cyclists, at least in "major roads". I have seen enough cyclists who think they own roads and that cars do not have a right to hoot them off "Siam!".

Your feelings about cyclists and pedestrians on pavements, is very similar to the issue of cars and cyclists on roads.

Think again. If cyclists have a "right" to ask pedestrians to "siam!", can cars (drivers pay road tax BTW) ask cyclists to "siam!"?

Your feelings about cyclists and pedestrians on pavements, is very similar to the issue of cars and cyclists on roads.

Think again. If cyclists have a "right" to ask pedestrians to "siam!", can cars (drivers pay road tax BTW) ask cyclists to "siam!"?
    The "I, ME, MYSELF" syndrome?

you have now clarified that you were making an assumption. thank you.

No, I am not interested to check up the legislation. But see post #92. I am making the assumption that people like Streetshooter who also cycles, was right.

Would you be kind enough to ask Streetshooter to back up his assertion about the legislation? Why did you not ask SS to back up his assertion?

BTW, for selfish reasons, I would really like to see cycling tracks for cyclists, at least in "major roads". I have seen enough cyclists who think they own roads and that cars do not have a right to hoot them off "Siam!".

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    you have now clarified that you were making an assumption. thank you.
    Would you ask SS about his assertion on the legislation?

He mentioned it explictly. Yet you did not question him.

Why?

For your inform,you will be fine $20 when caught by men in blue.I find it too low,it should be $200 @ least.Bear that in mind pavements are used by pedestians of children & senior citizen too.Please obey the law.

i missed his post. BTW, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Would you ask SS about his assertion on the legislation?

He mentioned it explictly. Yet you did not question him.

Why?

On the road, if i get hit by a bus / taxi / car I DIE

On the pavement, if i hit a perdestrain, i survive, i can still say sorry.

I really hate to see young children / old folks riding on the road because of this stupid law and get killed.
    how about seeing children and old folks walking on the pavement and get frightened by bikers like you and then fall and hurt themselves, ...will you hate to see this too?

Don't u just hate those pple walking a i straight row, and however U try to walk, can never get in front of them? They're walking as if they're on holiday in Disneyland...

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter View Post
    Yes, and cars can and do cause fatal accidents.

But I don't think there's any legislation banning cars from using the road.

Not trying to stir trouble, but there's some inconsistency, don't you think?

If the few bad drivers don't justify banning cars from using the road, why should a few bad cyclists justify banning the majority of good cyclists from using the pavement?

You know which side I'm on.
    there is no inconsistancy, there is still a ban on cars using pavement right? Roads are for vehicles (including bikes) and pedestrians have to look out for them, pavement are for pedestrians, so bikers have to look out for them.......

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast