Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: What filter(s) ...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore, NE
    Posts
    264

    Question What filter(s) ...

    What filter to use if I wish to take pics with the clear blue sky as the background (specifically on a sunny day)?

    And how about for sunsets?

    Thank you.
    :: Capture the moment :: :heart:

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: What filter(s) ...

    try CPL and sunset-orange GND filter

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: What filter(s) ...

    Circular Polarizer filter.

    But, Cir-Pol doesn't do magic. You must know how to use and maximize its ability.

    Like, for example, do not shoot when sun is on your top. Meaning, shoot in the morning or afternoon. Put the sun behind you for stronger effect of blue sky when using Circular Polarizer.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore, NE
    Posts
    264

    Smile Re: What filter(s) ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    Circular Polarizer filter.

    But, Cir-Pol doesn't do magic. You must know how to use and maximize its ability.

    Like, for example, do not shoot when sun is on your top. Meaning, shoot in the morning or afternoon. Put the sun behind you for stronger effect of blue sky when using Circular Polarizer.

    Regards,
    Arto.

    Circular Polarizer Filter is the CPL mentioned above?

    Thanks for the tip... gotta read up on this thingy.

    Btw, how much does it cost? Any specific brand to look out for?
    :: Capture the moment :: :heart:

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: What filter(s) ...

    Quote Originally Posted by fotojoy View Post
    Circular Polarizer Filter is the CPL mentioned above?

    Thanks for the tip... gotta read up on this thingy.

    Btw, how much does it cost? Any specific brand to look out for?
    iirc hoya one cost 30+ @ about 50mm thread size and over $80 for 77mm size (normal).
    cheapest option might be tokina... 77mm one is barely $50.
    one of the best one will be Nikon CPL slim 77mm @ close to $200

    just get the hoya one if you are tight on budget.. else nikon if you using it on wide angle lens, the CPL is as slim as hoya normal UV filter
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 7th October 2006 at 11:04 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    2,504

    Default Re: What filter(s) ...

    actually the more recent super WA lenses like sigma 10-20mm tokina 12-24 do not require a slim filter. a normal CPL will do. no vignetting will be caused (:

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: What filter(s) ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiahfortythirtyone View Post
    actually the more recent super WA lenses like sigma 10-20mm tokina 12-24 do not require a slim filter. a normal CPL will do. no vignetting will be caused (:
    wrong... i own a tokina 12-24... it gets vignett even with one single CPL... no other filter stacked.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore, NE
    Posts
    264

    Exclamation Re: What filter(s) ...

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    iirc hoya one cost 30+ @ about 50mm thread size and over $80 for 77mm size (normal).
    cheapest option might be tokina... 77mm one is barely $50.
    one of the best one will be Nikon CPL slim 77mm @ close to $200

    just get the hoya one if you are tight on budget.. else nikon if you using it on wide angle lens, the CPL is as slim as hoya normal UV filter
    WOW! i didnt know even so much to know when getting a filter!

    just for my understanding, the 50mm & 77mm, is it the thickness? or width?
    :: Capture the moment :: :heart:

  9. #9

    Default Re: What filter(s) ...

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    wrong... i own a tokina 12-24... it gets vignett even with one single CPL... no other filter stacked.
    Lucky I didn't buy the Tokina... Phew...
    My Canon 10-22 works fine with 1 normal sized B+W MRC UV or 1 normal sized B+W CPL...
    But I think will vignet if I stack them.

  10. #10

    Default Re: What filter(s) ...

    Quote Originally Posted by fotojoy View Post
    WOW! i didnt know even so much to know when getting a filter!

    just for my understanding, the 50mm & 77mm, is it the thickness? or width?
    It's the diameter of the thread size that goes into your lens.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore, NE
    Posts
    264

    Question Re: What filter(s) ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    It's the diameter of the thread size that goes into your lens.
    Ahhhh ...... okie

    When u use a CPL, do u have to remove the UV filter?
    :: Capture the moment :: :heart:

  12. #12

    Default Re: What filter(s) ...

    Quote Originally Posted by fotojoy View Post
    Ahhhh ...... okie

    When u use a CPL, do u have to remove the UV filter?
    Depends... Typically for wide angle lens, they tend to vignet (dark corners appearing) if you stack both the CPL and UV filter.

    I personally like B+W CPLs because they have one of the best POP (effects).
    But then again, it's dependant on you and your budget.

    I tried a Tokina 58mm on my kit lens a few years back... As if like no effect... only reduce my light... seems like a ND (except that you can turn) more than a CPL.

    Also a CPL may be causing more "harm" than "good" on a wide angle.
    I can type a zillion words, but my suggestion is that you try it out first.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: What filter(s) ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    Lucky I didn't buy the Tokina... Phew...
    My Canon 10-22 works fine with 1 normal sized B+W MRC UV or 1 normal sized B+W CPL...
    But I think will vignet if I stack them.
    Canon is of cos good... but im a nikon user, the difference between tokina and nikon 12-24 is . so ended up getting tokina since performance are close. but a nikon CPL could solve all...

  14. #14

    Default Re: What filter(s) ...

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    Canon is of cos good... but im a nikon user, the difference between tokina and nikon 12-24 is . so ended up getting tokina since performance are close. but a nikon CPL could solve all...
    Yes it's like almost double the price.
    A Nikon CPL would do the trick definitely... so would the B+W MRC slim CPL...

    Btw, how much did you pay for the Nikon CPL?
    The B+W slim is going for $240... very ex...

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: What filter(s) ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    Yes it's like almost double the price.
    A Nikon CPL would do the trick definitely... so would the B+W MRC slim CPL...

    Btw, how much did you pay for the Nikon CPL?
    The B+W slim is going for $240... very ex...
    eh still waiting for $ to drop down from the sky... nikon cpl is about $190...
    heard that the ring got a special mechanism that will stop rotating once the rotatable ring turns to a certain degree... this is to help user to screw off the filter easily.
    other normal CPL like hoya/tokina/B+W doesn't have this (rotate non-stop), thus a slim CPL is hard to screw off if tighten too much.

  16. #16

    Default Re: What filter(s) ...

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    eh still waiting for $ to drop down from the sky... nikon cpl is about $190...
    heard that the ring got a special mechanism that will stop rotating once the rotatable ring turns to a certain degree... this is to help user to screw off the filter easily.
    other normal CPL like hoya/tokina/B+W doesn't have this (rotate non-stop), thus a slim CPL is hard to screw off if tighten too much.
    Oh... at least you are more realistic. Nowadays everything falls from the sky..
    A lot of people are waiting for something else... strike Toto or 4D then can buy...

    Lucky the govt going to build IR.... help us realize our dreams earlier.. or not
    Last edited by Hoky; 7th October 2006 at 07:58 PM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: What filter(s) ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoky View Post
    Oh... at least you are more realistic. Nowadays everything falls from the sky..
    A lot of people are waiting for something else... strike Toto or 4D then can buy...

    Lucky the govt going to build IR.... help us realize our dreams earlier.. or not
    using the cheap cheap tokina... iirc cost only about $45(new)
    im not a very frequent user of CPL, so i just let me be... but there will definitely be one day i will get a slim CPL (be it B+W/Nikon/Hoya Pro1) when i start using CPL more often

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: What filter(s) ...

    Quote Originally Posted by fotojoy View Post
    Circular Polarizer Filter is the CPL mentioned above?

    Thanks for the tip... gotta read up on this thingy.

    Btw, how much does it cost? Any specific brand to look out for?
    Yes, circular polarizer, cir-pol, cpl is the same. Make sure you buy Circular and not Linear Polarizer, as the Linear will not work well with the SLR/dSLR camera's light meter (IIRC).

    Regards,
    Arto.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Singapore, NE
    Posts
    264

    Default Re: What filter(s) ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    Yes, circular polarizer, cir-pol, cpl is the same. Make sure you buy Circular and not Linear Polarizer, as the Linear will not work well with the SLR/dSLR camera's light meter (IIRC).

    Regards,
    Arto.
    noted .. with thanks!
    :: Capture the moment :: :heart:

  20. #20

    Default Re: What filter(s) ...

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    wrong... i own a tokina 12-24... it gets vignett even with one single CPL... no other filter stacked.
    At times, CPL is not suitable for wide angle lens... you may get uneven polarising effect throughout the frame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •