Thread: Newbie - Needs help on camera selection

Default Newbie - Needs help on camera selection

hi there,

I have been looking around for a DSLR for quite some time and is getting more confused by the wide array of cameras in the market.

I have a budget of abt 1 to 1.2 K and wanna get a camera that will suit a beginner.

Is there a preferred brand & model that is preferred by photography rookies??

Will be grateful for some guidance.

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Newbie - Needs help on camera selection

consider a pre-owned canon 350d kit or nikon d50 kit.

IMHO as a newbie on a tight budget, i think a 300D coupled with a cheap zoom lens like the USM 75-300mm should work out pretty fine, cos the kit lens while good cant give you the reach.. so if u want the reach, the lens is pretty good though the quality isnt.

but if you think you're not gonna need a zoom lens then i'd say go for a second hand 350D.

as for brand, i'd say canon cos im a canon user. haha. just my 2 cents worth.. hope this helps =)
    Last edited by with_brokenwings; 5th October 2006 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snowblix View Post
    hi there,

I have been looking around for a DSLR for quite some time and is getting more confused by the wide array of cameras in the market.

I have a budget of abt 1 to 1.2 K and wanna get a camera that will suit a beginner.

Thanks in advance

How bout NIKON D70s? Probabaly a bit exceed limit but I jz get mine couple days ago and it's a 101% no regret purchase. Also a begginer in DSLR. Feels good in my hand.

D50 + 18-55 + 55-200 or 70-300

Thanks guys. Really appreciate all your advices.

Will definately work on them.

Cheers

hi there,

Thanks in advance
    On tight budget? maybe u would want to take a look at Pentax...

Quote Originally Posted by liveevil View Post
    On tight budget? maybe u would want to take a look at Pentax...
    Hi Liveevil,

I am really not too sure about Pentax. I am certain I have enuff for other brands and is feeling extremely uncertain about getting a Pentax.

Hi all the brands have their respective strengths and weaknesses. Pentax is definitely not inferior to the other brands. Just that they are not as fierce in advertising as the C & N thats y they are not that well-known or recognised. I would think the K100D(slightly over $1k) would be quite good for your budget plus it features built-in stabilizer too.. The upcoming K10D is definitely worth looking out for but I guess it would be above $1.5K which is over your budget liao..

Hi Liveevil,

I am really not too sure about Pentax. I am certain I have enuff for other brands and is feeling extremely uncertain about getting a Pentax.
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron80 View Post
    Hi all the brands have their respective strengths and weaknesses. Pentax is definitely not inferior to the other brands. Just that they are not as fierce in advertising as the C & N thats y they are not that well-known or recognised. I would think the K100D(slightly over $1k) would be quite good for your budget plus it features built-in stabilizer too.. The upcoming K10D is definitely worth looking out for but I guess it would be above $1.5K which is over your budget liao..
    Thanks Aaron. guess I really should reconsider my budget if I should insist on the bigger brands. Just feeling a little overwhelm with the amount of cameras in the market and thought that the bigger brands will be more reliable.

By the way, isn't the Canon EOS350D going for about 1.2-1.3??

Ya when I first decide to get my dslr, was also in the same dilemma. The number of cameras in the market are huge. But when making your purchase, most imptly your camera must be one which fits your need and budget. Get what u need, and not just what you want.. I think new 350D is going for slightly lower than $1.3k?

Thanks Aaron. guess I really should reconsider my budget if I should insist on the bigger brands. Just feeling a little overwhelm with the amount of cameras in the market and thought that the bigger brands will be more reliable.

By the way, isn't the Canon EOS350D going for about 1.2-1.3??
    Last edited by aaron80; 8th October 2006 at 02:43 AM.
    Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives.