Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flash or reflector?

Blog Entries

Default Re: flash or reflector?

Quote Originally Posted by modelinn View Post
    I believe such shots are only using the flash to such a low power that it just gives a slight fill, thats all. But it can never compare to proper strobe set up or reflector, else no professionals will be using them, as camera mounted flash is so convenient.
    there are many ways to use the flash, the choice of background and exposure must also be taken into consideration. of course it can never compare to the studio lights. duh...!?

Quote Originally Posted by student View Post

You prefer me to call those photos "sucks"? The word "Sucks" is better than "so-called" and "miserable"? Or shall I do better than DP and called them "sh1t"?
    call them what you like. doesnt mean anything to me. but the point is still made, that you are no better than him.

Firsly, I have absolutely no intention to give anything useful to you. I would rather give things to pigs. You barge into my comments to this TS and showed off your stupidity.
    for someone in your profession, i would expect you to have a somewhat better vocabulary than pigs and stupid... is this really the best that you can do?

and you call this barging into comments... and what do you call it when you go and make an issue in other threads of how other people choose to comment on photos. is that not barging? so, pot, kettle black student.

Secondly, DP led you into the right direction? Don't make me laugh! With utmost restrain, I will not make any clarifcation.
    he pointed out errors in my photos. which is a lot more than you've done. i

Well, giving you the benefit of the doubt that you just might has a vestige of brain, show me ONE INSTANCE where I demonstrated that I could not take any kind of comments or criticism of my work, and I worked up a lather.

Just showed one ONE INSTANCE.

If you can, I will say sorry.
    as i said, i dont need to waste my time. i have a perfect example right here.

Not only you like to show your stupidity, you also show a complete inability to read.

What did the TS asked? Did he asked specifically for an explanation of choices? Any further explanation by any posters to his original question is going beyond his original question.

While he may ask about flash and reflectors, I had given him another perspective of outdoors people photography, one which many photographers had employed successfully. Want to know some names?

Oh! I forgot. I show let the pigs know these names.
    pigs again student? really. this is getting quite boring. if you need help, im more than happy to buy you a thesaurus. or get you some english lessons.

go take a look at all the questions people ask on this board. shall i get x lens or y lens. a camera or b camera. they dont need to elaborate, that if you give an answer, then an explanatino would be more than helpful.

throwaway remarks like yours, without justification, are unhelpful to the TS by any stretch of the imagination and frankly, only show you up as being a pompous ass.
    Last edited by jdredd; 5th October 2006 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    really? i suggest u go have a look at Joe McNally's instructional DVD called "The speed of light". either dat, or u go spend a day shooting with willyfoo or chngpe01 (there are many other CSers who can and does shoot excellent pics with nothing more than flashes).

just becos u haven't seen good photogs producing excellent pics with on-cam flashes doesn't mean it sucks.
    I think what he meant was it will have better results with using professional strobes than on camera flash.

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd View Post

for someone in your profession, i would expect you to have a somewhat better vocabulary than pigs and stupid... is this really the best that you can do?
    Oh! I can do better.

How about swine and morons?

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    and you call this barging into comments... and what do you call it when you go and make an issue in other threads of how other people choose to comment on photos. is that not barging? so, pot, kettle black student.
    I do not barge into others posts. I write in that thread a contrary viewpoint.

Know the difference?

errors in my photos. which is a lot more than you've done.
    Often misleading comments are worse than no comments.

t need to waste my time. i have a perfect example right here.
    Right here? I posted a picture here?

Now, give evidence that I wprk up a lather to a criticism of my work.

Cannot find any?

dent? really. this is getting quite boring. if you need help, im more than happy to buy you a thesaurus. or get you some english lessons.
    How about hogs?

k at all the questions people ask on this board. shall i get x lens or y lens. a camera or b camera. they dont need to elaborate, that if you give an answer, then an explanatino would be more than helpful.

throwaway remarks like yours, without justification, are unhelpful to the TS by any stretch of the imagination and frankly, only show you up as being a pompous ass.
    Really? So this is the standard of comprehension in CS?

Fine by me.

I rather like to be called pompous ass. Much better than moronic swine.
    Last edited by student; 5th October 2006 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    really? i suggest u go have a look at Joe McNally's instructional DVD called "The speed of light". either dat, or u go spend a day shooting with willyfoo or chngpe01 (there are many other CSers who can and does shoot excellent pics with nothing more than flashes).

just becos u haven't seen good photogs producing excellent pics with on-cam flashes doesn't mean it sucks.
    wah, dun quote me saying it sucks leh, I say its not beautiful, just normal, suck is a strong word... dun wish to start war here...

I meant to say is, if u have a choice between camera flash and studio strobe with various attachment choices, I guess its a no-brainer. I am sure u will find the mentioned photographers' works great, but I believe they knew it too that they can achieve even better results by using studio strobe set up.

Anyways the TS wanted to know which one is better, reflector or flash, so what I merely trying to clarify is flash if mounted on camera will lose out to studio flash setup. But it will ultimately comes down to convenience and budget, so very subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    Oh! I can do better.

How about swine and morons?
    Keep it coming, Im very much enjoying how, from just making one straightforward comment, it can lead you on an inexorable spiral down into silly name calling. You should change student, to child.

I do not barge into others posts. I write in that thread a contrary viewpoint.

Know the difference?
    Contrary. Thatís how you want to gloss it? Okay. Whatever floats your boat. Its no difference to me, making the point here, that your comments are not helpful to the TS, because his style of photography, may well be different to yours.

Right here? I posted a picture here?

Now, give evidence that I wprk up a lather to a criticism of my work.

Cannot find any?
    There you go.
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...=213851&page=3

How about hogs?
    I like hogs. At least, they donít have double standards.

Really? So this is the standard of comprehension in CS?
    Fine by me.
    I rather like to be called pompous ass. Much better than moronic swine.
    You can add, arrogant to pompous ass now.

Default Re: Flash or reflector?

Quote Originally Posted by iltriumph View Post
    Dear all,

when u do outdoor shoot, do u rather use a reflector or flash?

thanks
    Since I was dragged into this by one of my regular troll, I thought I might as well contribute my $0.02.

For outdoor shoot, I use strobes, flashes, reflectors and none of the above. It all depends on the situtation and image you have in mind. Flash on the camera is probably the worse option of them all.

I am assuming that you are fairly new to portrait photography. My recommendation is to use none of the above, until you get a hang of the whole thing, then get a medium size reflector, the small one is a waste of money (small=1 meter or less) and experiment with it. To use a reflector correctly, find another photographer, and work as a team.

One word of advise, while you are starting out, pay attention to your exposure. Get it right first, then you can experiment with under and over exposure.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

hi folks, we like to remind everyone to refrain from making personal attacks comments. Multi-quotes especially are usually good signs of such posts.

CS Public forum is not meant for such discussion and it usually sways the discussion away from whats the originator post.

vince123123
    Guests

Isn't personal attacks a prohibited activity under Clauses 1 and 5 of the Terms of Use?

There's quite clearly a number of personal attacks and name calling going on in this thread, some initiated and some in response to those initiated, and some of it rather disproportional reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Since I was dragged into this by one of my regular troll, I thought I might as well contribute my $0.02.

For outdoor shoot, I use strobes, flashes, reflectors and none of the above. It all depends on the situtation and image you have in mind. Flash on the camera is probably the worse option of them all.

I am assuming that you are fairly new to portrait photography. My recommendation is to use none of the above, until you get a hang of the whole thing, then get a medium size reflector, the small one is a waste of money (small=1 meter or less) and experiment with it. To use a reflector correctly, find another photographer, and work as a team.

One word of advise, while you are starting out, pay attention to your exposure. Get it right first, then you can experiment with under and over exposure.
    I would agreed with DP. Very good advise which I hope the TS will consider. The only diff in opinion I have with DP is the size of the reflector. For me I think those reflector about 1m works just fine for me. It is small enough to carry around without getting in the way and it works just fine for me especially for head shots and half body shots. Maybe it is just that I usually just want to fill in the lights a little. It's a personal choice.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

How could you call someone a pig? Even if his photos suck, you shouldn't do that. It's wrong calling someone a pig. Just not sure why you did that.

dear all,

i got my answer liow. thank u for your time.

cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12