Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to China, what to use?

Default Re: Going to China, what to use?

allow me to be the devil now.

cosycactus is selling his Minolta 5D for $650 in B&S now. i think its an excellent buy. it even has ISO3200 which is usable for 4R prints. plus built in image stabiliser to boot! u just need to get the Minolta 5D plus the utilitarian tamron 17-50 or sigma 17-70mm lens. that is all you'll ever need.

i'll respectfully disagree with stoned with regard to the extreme range of 200mm. a range of 18-200mm results in compromise in terms of quality in comparison wiht the tamron 17-50 or sigma 17-70mm. in addition, how often do you need to use it at 200mm? i hardly ever use anything beyond 85mm. the nikon 18-200 costs a bomb, whilst the sigma and tamron variants cost less than half the nikon but result in average image quality.

in summary: cosycactus' 5D for $650, used sigma 17-70 for $500 thereabouts. and a slik 330DX pro tripod for about $110 brand new. total $1260.

just use the pop up flash to save money. no point spending money on a huge flash that you'll hardly use anyway. the minolta 5D has built in AntiSHake which makes it even easier for you to handhold at night.
    Last edited by Isaiahfortythirtyone; 7th October 2006 at 12:17 PM.

am going to be using a D70 and a 18-200mm VR so i guess that should suffice. Dun know if any other lens is needed?

BTW, which part or parts of China are you going to? That will narrow down the scope and perhaps you can get better advice on what lens to bring along...

i am actually going to this place called Guizhou.

I think your gear should suffice. Never heard of the place but checked it out on the net - mountainous region with the biggest waterfall in China. You'd probably end up using more of the short end of the lense. Have a good trip and do post some pics when back!

Many people have very good advice on what cameras and lenses to get, I won't add to it

I've got a side issue for you to consider though. Be careful displaying your expensive new/second hand camera and lenses in China. I've not been to your holidaying area, but at the places I've gone alertness of your surroundings and people is very important. I've got conmen and swindlers picking us out several times already. I always carry my junkiest and most casual travelling bags and clothes in China. The latest DSLR, with big lenses, will obviously make you stand out. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by RW11 View Post
    I think your gear should suffice. Never heard of the place but checked it out on the net - mountainous region with the biggest waterfall in China. You'd probably end up using more of the short end of the lense. Have a good trip and do post some pics when back!
    I will see if I have any photos that are passable enough to put up on this website when I come back so see how first......

Quote Originally Posted by bigu2fan View Post
    Many people have very good advice on what cameras and lenses to get, I won't add to it

I've got a side issue for you to consider though. Be careful displaying your expensive new/second hand camera and lenses in China. I've not been to your holidaying area, but at the places I've gone alertness of your surroundings and people is very important. I've got conmen and swindlers picking us out several times already. I always carry my junkiest and most casual travelling bags and clothes in China. The latest DSLR, with big lenses, will obviously make you stand out. Just a thought.

Yup I think that will be useful advice so I am thinking how to bring along my dslr as well as my viewcam.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12