Thread: Need advice on aircon purchase (case specific)

Default Need advice on aircon purchase (case specific)

hi,

i am new here. need some advice.

my area:
    1 room with a door (width:3.5m length:5.5m height:3.5m), room facing the road. so will get quite hot in the day
    1 main area (width:3.5m length:13m height:3.5m)

currently,
    have this very old system 3 aircon left by the landlord. the one in the room totally broken down. there are 2 in the main area, one is cold. the other is not.

2 choices:
    1. replace the whole system and buy a new system 3 non inverter. got the quote from best denki. its about $1.9k (additional $300 for removal of current unit)

2. buy a window unit for the room (heard its about $400-500) and retain the 2 units in the main area. then when i have more budget, but a system 2 to replace that 2 in the main area.

my concerns:
    should i buy the system 3 1 shot?
    or i should buy a window unit first. because the main area will only be on like for 3-4 hrs a day. and the room will be on for 5-6hrs a day. cos not too sure how my monthly bill will be like.

please advise. hope u guys can help, cant bear with the heat anymore!!!

thanks

Default Re: Need advice on aircon purchase (case specific)

one advice, relay all the pipes as it would give u problem in future. Spend more on the piping to save ur anguish in future.

yeah, intend to remove everything and redo as new.

kena conned by my agent who promised that i will get working air cons

Actually if you don't mind the noise, window unit will do just fine and have a smaller cash outlay. I know because my ex company at Tg Katong area uses a few of these and it can cool down the ground floor....but you must consider the drainage lah...

People go for those system 2, 3, 4 or 5 are all follower of trend and for aesthetic reason so that when friend ask:

"Eh, what aircond system your house use huh?"

"Oh, Daikin invertor system 3, the one 29,000btu one leh"

"Wow...nice hor, how much huh"...blah....blah....blah...

I admid I am one of those

a lot of aircon info on renotalk threads

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index....ighlite=aircon

thank paul,

i was reading it.

but i just wanted to find out if the cost will be alot of diff. i mean, not too sure if a window unit will draw alot more power than a split. and if the combined cost of the window unit and later the new sys 2 aircon will be more than just buying a sys 3 right from the start.

Suggest getting a window unit for the room (i hope you mean those casement aircon - the mitsubishi tiara is a good option since they pioneered the first model).

Is the place rented? If so ... better check with the landlord before just stripping out.

what is the diff between casement unit and normal units?

as far as i know, my house has 2 types. one is the longish type and the other is the old fashion box type

Quote Originally Posted by wainism View Post
    what is the diff between casement unit and normal units?

as far as i know, my house has 2 types. one is the longish type and the other is the old fashion box type
    Casement units are those that mount on sliding window. Requires minimal drilling. Usually in small capacities - 7000Btu ...

if you decide to get a window unit, make sure that you get a bigger unit like 15,000 btu since you mentioned that the room can get hot during the day.

From my exp, we tried to save cost by getting a small 7,000 btu for our container office and regretted. Can't tolerate the heat even with air-con at full blast during mid day. Later on, no choice but to change to a bigger unit. Not too sure about electricity consumption as site electricity was free.

system 3 non inverter should go for about $1.5-$1.7k which should include installation and removal of old set. But may not include the stainless steel bracket. You can check out the shops at IMM.

Inverter systems are worth it only if you switch on the air-con for very long hours as they are easily 1k more than non inverters.

From my experience you will be better off redoing the pipes and do a one time investment for a new split unit system. You risk of maintaining 2 different type of aircon system which might break down and would cost you more to repair. It would be better to maintain one single unit/type rather than 2 differetn types. Again this depends on how long are you going to be there. If it is short term then a window unit would be fine but if you intend to stay there for at least 2 years or more then investing in a reliable system would be wise.

I made a mistake when deciding this once and thinking I would save some cash decided to go for the window unit. Then the split unit broke down. Finally had to tear up all the old pipings and all the other knick knacks and buy a brand new system which last me till today. Had to sell off the window unit cheap. In the end I spend more instead of saving some moolah.
    Last edited by jbma; 4th October 2006 at 08:45 PM.

thanks. gotta discuss this with my partners.

thanks so much for all inputs