Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast

Thread: CS "critics" suck?

Default Re: CS "critics" suck?

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    when i was in uni, i've seen tutors who use that word. and i've seen tutors make direct criticism on students' personal character because of the works they submit. i've seen tutors tear up students' work, throw them into rubbish bin. it's usually the more passionate tutors who do that, and they are more than often the preferred tutors.

not saying that there are tutors in CS, or that CS should pick up that (that's entirely up to the admin to decide) just saying that in fields that engage art and artistic effort, it's really quite common for strong and negative words to be used. words directed at works are words directed at works, not words directed at person(s).
    i dont agree with you on the part "words directed at works, not words directed at person(s)".

the works are the end results of hard works done by individual, not photo-copies of others work.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Well, if you have to protect the feelings of the poster who had just abused our senses, well, that is your choice. I can respect that. I will not be as nice.
    i totally agree with this. i find alot of threads in portraits and poses especially offending, but i've refrained from making my feelings heard many times because like what others said, i can ignore those threads.

can i extend it to say that if you find a person's words especially hurting, there's the ignore function?

there's no need to redefine that word, anyway who are we to do the redefining

here's a list of definitions from www.dictionary.com

1. to draw into the mouth by producing a partial vacuum by action of the lips and tongue: to suck lemonade through a straw.

2. to draw (water, moisture, air, etc.) by or as if by suction: Plants suck moisture from the earth. The pump sucked water from the basement.

3. to apply the lips or mouth to and draw upon by producing a partial vacuum, esp. for extracting fluid contents: to suck an orange.

4. to put into the mouth and draw upon: to suck one's thumb.

5. to take into the mouth and dissolve by the action of the tongue, saliva, etc.: to suck a piece of candy.

6. to render or bring to a specified condition by or as if by sucking.

–verb (used without object)

7. to draw something in by producing a partial vacuum in the mouth, esp. to draw milk from the breast.

8. to draw or be drawn by or as if by suction.

9. (of a pump) to draw air instead of water, as when the water is low or a valve is defective.

10. Slang. to behave in a fawning manner (usually fol. by around).

11. Slang. to be repellent or disgusting: Poverty sucks.

–noun

12. an act or instance of sucking.

13. a sucking force.

14. the sound produced by sucking.

15. that which is sucked; nourishment drawn from the breast.

16. a small drink; sip.

17. a whirlpool.

when used on pictures, the most likely intended meaning is #11, and looking at the list, 'disgusting' seems like a good replacement for 'suck' then.

what do you think Sion? i'm sure you have lots in your mind
    I am thinking more in the line of:

18. to indicate the potential of a photo to reach higher level of excellence.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    you mean you have been to a mnc's meeting with bosses sitting in and they use such terms?
    Yup, and much worse. On top of that often the recipient gets fired too.
    Last edited by Wisp; 3rd October 2006 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    i dont agree with you on the part "words directed at works, not words directed at person(s)".

the works are the end results of hard works done by individual, not photo-copies of others work.
    so you're telling me that through a piece of work (or works), i can exactly point out what kind of a person you are? what do you think of a person who posted a thread like this http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=226294 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
    Yup, and much worse. On top of that often the recipient gets fired too.
    ditto to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I am thinking more in the line of:

18. to indicate the potential of a photo to reach higher level of excellence.
    you mean like, 'what a sucking picture'

- a picture that sucks all attention

- a picture that ...

Personally, I think the clashing of culture part is still okay. I'm fine with people making liberal comments or with people being traditional and sticking to their values. However, the problem arise when we have people who thinks they are liberal and pick up all their comtemporary values from the west (or where ever) without picking up any of the graciousness or courtesy that comes with it. Or conversely, traditional people who are dead stuck in all the wrong values. Just like being able to dish out their opinion without accepting that others have the rights to their own opinions. Or that authority and respect comes with seniority without knowing that those have to be earned not given through time.

I think comments like 'good' and 'bad' are really meaningless. They make it seem like photos can only be on 2 sides. Whatever happened to all that grey zone in between? Comments like that tell the poster no information where his picture actually, nor tell anyone any information about what are the standards the critic use to evaluate the picture are. So what is the point of even posting in the first place?
    Last edited by Prismatic; 3rd October 2006 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic View Post
    it seem like photos can only be on 2 sides. Whatever happened to all that grey zone in between?
    ditto to that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    I said. And not the first time I hear that word used. And not the worse word I heard and used.

The word "suck" really is no big deal in American culture.

Now, that time I said ...this deal is a monumental f***ed up, sure got lots of attention, the entire room, everyone stopped smsing
    Since when American culture is a model on its own ??? I'll be damned !!!

With all the respect I have for you (cause I believe you are smart and knowledgeable), this inflexibility you have in not trying to be a bit more polite and respectfull from whatever the pic or its author, justifying it by the fact that there are so few words in the english vocabulary to use that you found only "sucks", is really petty and narrow in my opinion.

I'm sad to imagine that this might be the only way you find to mark your identity above the mass while I'm sure your skills and knowledge might be enough for that.

I appreciate your comments, I take them regularly into consideration, but with this sour taste of abruptness that I don't think anyone deserve, even the lousiest photographer...
    Last edited by Fiip; 3rd October 2006 at 08:27 PM.

Default Re: Charby's Photo Sessions: Veron

Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post
    I didn't comment, noneed thank me lar..

I only bookmarked this thread, just to read all the entertainment.

now reporting! abit late!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by AReality View Post
    I didn't comment, noneed thank me lar..

I only bookmarked this thread, just to read all the entertainment.

now reporting! abit late!

Well, I am amazed at where they get the time for this. I wish I had the luxury ...

Quote Originally Posted by canongrapherL View Post
    Can I say the "critics" here in CS forum suck?

Just like old school shaolin temple masters, they only know how to bellow "You suck! Fock off my mountain!"

Hardly enough efforts are seen from the critics to provide insights to guide the TS. Yeah, you could say "Underexposed! Bad poses! Bad this and that...", but has anyone even provided the TS with good sample pictures or explanations to help him understand the problems?

If one claims "underexposed!" for example, how about providing him a reference for him to compare? How about editing his work to show him? (with permission from him of course).

Yeah, everyone can be a critic. But a good critic is one who not only criticise technically but also one who can provide inspirations and motivations.

The manners of some of the critics here only me laugh. When I need some kind of solace, I simply come into the critiques corner for some entertainment!

nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    nice.
    you're nice too

you're nice too
    CS is nice. we're all nice.
    *** roxxxxxxxxxxxxx!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    CS is nice. we're all nice.
    *** roxxxxxxxxxxxxx!!!
    let's be nice and let others have a go at trashing what they think of comments ... oh sorry, i mean 'critiques' made in CS

Maybe members should refrain from using "suck" as it has become too controversial..... Potential words to replace "suck" :
    unspeakable, unutterable, appalling, disagreeable, indescribable, terrible, horrid, distasteful, incommunicable, indefinable, ineffable, inexpressible, nameless, atrocious, awful, dreadful, frightful, ghastly, grisly, gruesome, hideous, horrendous, horrifying, lurid, macabre, monstrous, nightmarish, shocking, bloodcurdling, dire, direful, fearful, fearsome, forbidding, formidable, frightening, hair-raising, terrifying; abhorrent, deplorable, disgusting, loathsome, nauseating, obnoxious, offensive, inconceivable, incredible, unbelievable, unimaginable, unthinkable; characterless, featureless, nondescript, repugnant, repulsive, revolting, sickening; abominable, evil, foul, heinous, noxious, odious, vile

So for example, if one wants to say: your images suck ... maybe should rephrase to: your images are indescribable, or .......
    Last edited by Canonised; 3rd October 2006 at 08:16 PM.
    always the Light, .... always.

I think criticisms are best used on printed photos.

After all, time and consideration is used to select the specific image and DI it so that it will be printed just the way you want it to be.

Furthermore, flaws can be easily viewable on an A4 print and people would think twice about showing numerous works due to the cost involved in printing.

That way, we don't shoot and post and say, "How's this?" without putting in thought and consideration to the composition, selection of that single shot in the midst of hundreds and touching up the image so that it would look flawless. Well, at least in your eyes.

To TS... I tink you missed the point altogether...

If critics says you pic "s***" then the objective is to shoot what you think they like to see....Not make them see what you like to take.

Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast