Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 276

Thread: CS "critics" suck?

  1. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: CS "critics" suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    next time, photo critics must write at least 500 words paragraph to be constructive?
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    maybe the Administrator can ban the work "suck" and replace it with "****"
    my english no good, 500 all same word can? like 'nice, nice, nice, nice, nice ... ...' or '****, ****, ****, **** ... ...'

  2. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: CS "critics" suck?

    I initially was wondering what the hell was that and clicked on the link.

    To be very honest, even though I rarely shoot bikini themed shots or take part in model shoots these days, I regretted very much clicking on the link.

    Plain flesh parade I must say.

    A photo expounds a feeling which sometimes leaves us so utterly disgusted or so refreshed that the limited human vocabulary can't describe that feeling.

    I won't say that I'm a highly respected photographer whose works had stood up to critics, won big time competitions or had held exhibitions and so on. In fact, if one were to decide that a 'good critic' is one who simply posts photos (someone had asked me if I shoot portraits and when I said yes, the shallow reply I got was, "Den how come I din see u post ur photos up?"), his photos are really good (which is a pretty subjective term) or put up 'constructive criticisms' (which eventually may be seen as lame or sarcastic remarks)...

    I can reassure everyone in CS that, based on the above assumptions that a critic 'ought to do this, ought to have that', then no one here is fit to criticise or even comment on any photo even the moderators and admins, going by this line of logic which seems to be the line of thought from the quote that threadstarter posted.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  3. #83
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: CS "critics" suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    er, there's no mountain by the name of Fujiyama by the way, if it's Fuji-san you're referring to, it's too dirty to be celestial and there are Shinto priests, 'Shinto monks' is a wrong desrciption, which i don't aspire to become one anyway
    I didn't expect a lesson in Japanese geography and Shinto religion in the delicate task of redefining the word "Suck" here.

  4. #84

    Default Re: CS "critics" suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    ........going by this line of logic which seems to be the line of thought from the quote that threadstarter posted.
    correction hor ...... i started this thread to centralise the discussion on this silly question, but that infamous quote is not mine hor .... it belongs to canongrapherL ...
    always the Light, .... always.

  5. #85

    Default CS "critics" suck?

    You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view…until you climb into his skin and walk around in it” [p. 33] - To Kill a Mocking Bird, Harper Lee


    a. It is easy to claim you do not understand why other people found the word objectionable.

    b. However it is difficult to completely understand another person's viewpoint, due to different socialization - education / family / social class / culture, etc

    c. The word "suck", as you know, IS indeed offensive to some people here.

    d. In my opinion, to show respect for others, and to promote a friendly environment, probably the correct thing to do is to minimize the use of such words.

  6. #86

    Default Re: CS "critics" suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by smurfman View Post
    DP got blast so many times that even doctor cannot cure, scare also to see him...hahahaha
    Trolls cannot hurt me, they tried, they failed, and they will continue to fail. Why, becasue I really don't care what they have to say.

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    how do the general public will react if this is shown on the news? teacher tearing students art work that is not up to their standard? is that the best way to help improve the student's work?

    we dont live alone you know, while artist I feel, have the tendancy to have their own mind set, but i dont think when they go to art exibition by other artist, be it new up coming artist or the famous one, words like this sucks, its rubbish etc will be heard.
    First of all, we are not primary school student. Most on CS, I believe is of age. One must live up to the consequence of one's action.

    My direct and truthful approach to commenting on posted pictures got myself the rath from a few misguided trolls, but that is the price I am will to pay to be honest. If the picture sucks, what is a better word to describe it?

    Consequently, a poster must live up to the consequence of the posted picture. If the picture sucks, be prepared to get an earful of truthful comments.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  7. #87

    Default Re: CS "critics" suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reliance View Post
    You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view…until you climb into his skin and walk around in it” [p. 33] - To Kill a Mocking Bird, Harper Lee


    a. It is easy to claim you do not understand why other people found the word objectionable.

    b. However it is difficult to completely understand another person's viewpoint, due to different socialization - education / family / social class / culture, etc

    c. The word "suck", as you know, IS indeed offensive to some people here.

    d. In my opinion, to show respect for others, and to promote a friendly environment, probably the correct thing to do is to minimize the use of such words.
    That is censorship!

    Personally, I found quite a few words and phrases used by many to describe models, to comments on models, and to expression their emotion regarding a picture to be repulsive, but hey, it's their choice of words, they are free to express any which way they see fit, I rest my case.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  8. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: CS "critics" suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I didn't expect a lesson in Japanese geography and Shinto religion in the delicate task of redefining the word "Suck" here.
    there's no need to redefine that word, anyway who are we to do the redefining

    here's a list of definitions from www.dictionary.com

    1. to draw into the mouth by producing a partial vacuum by action of the lips and tongue: to suck lemonade through a straw.

    2. to draw (water, moisture, air, etc.) by or as if by suction: Plants suck moisture from the earth. The pump sucked water from the basement.

    3. to apply the lips or mouth to and draw upon by producing a partial vacuum, esp. for extracting fluid contents: to suck an orange.

    4. to put into the mouth and draw upon: to suck one's thumb.

    5. to take into the mouth and dissolve by the action of the tongue, saliva, etc.: to suck a piece of candy.

    6. to render or bring to a specified condition by or as if by sucking.

    –verb (used without object)

    7. to draw something in by producing a partial vacuum in the mouth, esp. to draw milk from the breast.

    8. to draw or be drawn by or as if by suction.

    9. (of a pump) to draw air instead of water, as when the water is low or a valve is defective.

    10. Slang. to behave in a fawning manner (usually fol. by around).

    11. Slang. to be repellent or disgusting: Poverty sucks.

    –noun

    12. an act or instance of sucking.

    13. a sucking force.

    14. the sound produced by sucking.

    15. that which is sucked; nourishment drawn from the breast.

    16. a small drink; sip.

    17. a whirlpool.

    when used on pictures, the most likely intended meaning is #11, and looking at the list, 'disgusting' seems like a good replacement for 'suck' then.

    what do you think Sion? i'm sure you have lots in your mind

  9. #89

    Default Re: CS "critics" suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    there's no need to redefine that word, anyway who are we to do the redefining

    here's a list of definitions from www.dictionary.com

    1. to draw into the mouth by producing a partial vacuum by action of the lips and tongue: to suck lemonade through a straw.

    2. to draw (water, moisture, air, etc.) by or as if by suction: Plants suck moisture from the earth. The pump sucked water from the basement.

    3. to apply the lips or mouth to and draw upon by producing a partial vacuum, esp. for extracting fluid contents: to suck an orange.

    4. to put into the mouth and draw upon: to suck one's thumb.

    5. to take into the mouth and dissolve by the action of the tongue, saliva, etc.: to suck a piece of candy.

    6. to render or bring to a specified condition by or as if by sucking.

    –verb (used without object)

    7. to draw something in by producing a partial vacuum in the mouth, esp. to draw milk from the breast.

    8. to draw or be drawn by or as if by suction.

    9. (of a pump) to draw air instead of water, as when the water is low or a valve is defective.

    10. Slang. to behave in a fawning manner (usually fol. by around).

    11. Slang. to be repellent or disgusting: Poverty sucks.

    –noun

    12. an act or instance of sucking.

    13. a sucking force.

    14. the sound produced by sucking.

    15. that which is sucked; nourishment drawn from the breast.

    16. a small drink; sip.

    17. a whirlpool.

    when used on pictures, the most likely intended meaning is #11, and looking at the list, 'disgusting' seems like a good replacement for 'suck' then.

    what do you think Sion? i'm sure you have lots in your mind
    hahahahhaahahha thats funny.........................got so many meanings..............can dig or not???
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

  10. #90
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: CS "critics" suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Trolls cannot hurt me, they tried, they failed, and they will continue to fail. Why, becasue I really don't care what they have to say.



    First of all, we are not primary school student. Most on CS, I believe is of age. One must live up to the consequence of one's action.

    My direct and truthful approach to commenting on posted pictures got myself the rath from a few misguided trolls, but that is the price I am will to pay to be honest. If the picture sucks, what is a better word to describe it?

    Consequently, a poster must live up to the consequence of the posted picture. If the picture sucks, be prepared to get an earful of truthful comments.

    alamak, only use primary school as example lar.
    in real life, i have yet to sit in meetings in mnc that have everyone saying you idea sucks, stupid idea etc. that, in my previous mnc (one of the fortune 500) is not allow as it is an insults to the person who come of with an proposal after much thought. it may be an ok word to use for you, but like i say, you are not alone in this world and you sure dont and cant work alone.

    why than, we can be civil in the company but statrs to use such rude remarks on others whom you may or may not know in person.

    but i find it ok to use such word like sucks, f**k etc in a joking manner with you friends, provided they find them offensive. again, here, i do consider the other party's stand before speaking out.

    if like what you guys say, it is ok and also "big man" liao, can take these words. than luckily you guys are not inside the parliment. imagine tv show a country's ministers using such words!! then again, there are some countries who do worst than this. but is that what the general public want!! for me, i will feel dame emberess to have ministers like that.
    Last edited by denniskee; 3rd October 2006 at 07:08 PM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  11. #91
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: CS "critics" suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by smurfman View Post
    hahahahhaahahha thats funny.........................got so many meanings..............can dig or not???
    erm, dig?

  12. #92

    Default Re: Charby's Photo Sessions: Veron

    I didn't comment, noneed thank me lar..

    I only bookmarked this thread, just to read all the entertainment.


    .

  13. #93

    Default Re: Charby's Photo Sessions: Veron

    I didn't comment, noneed thank me lar..

    I only bookmarked this thread, just to read all the entertainment.


    .

  14. #94

    Default Re: CS "critics" suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    alamak, only use primary school as example lar.
    in real life, i have yet to sit in meetings in mnc that have everyone saying you idea sucks, stupid idea etc. that, in my previous mnc (one of the fortune 500) is not allow as it is an insults to the person who come of with an proposal after much thought. it may be an ok word to use for you, but like i say, you are not alone in this world and you sure dont and cant work alone.

    why than, we can be civil in the company but statrs to use such rude remarks on others whom you may or may not know in person.

    but i find it ok to use such word like sucks, f**k etc in a joking manner with you friends, provided they find them offensive. again, here, i do consider the other party's stand before speaking out.

    if like what you guys say, it is ok and also "big man" liao, can take these words. than luckily you guys are not inside the parliment. imagine tv show a country's ministers using such words!! then again, there are some countries who do worst than this. but is that what the general public want!! for me, i will feel dame emberess to have ministers like that.
    Well, if you have to protect the feelings of the poster who had just abused our senses, well, that is your choice. I can respect that. I will not be as nice.

    Your MNC example does not fly. It's just one company, one culture, one way of doing things.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  15. #95
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: CS "critics" suck?

    you mean you have been to a mnc's meeting with bosses sitting in and they use such terms?
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  16. #96

    Default I would disagree that this thread is silly

    I would disagree that this thread is silly.

    I see in this thread the clash of cultures where we have the liberals on one side and the conservatives on the other.

    The liberals (influenced by western culture) are very liberal with words like "suck" and "trash".

    Indeed I am not saying these words are wrong; in fact you hear them frequently on western pop culture.



    However on the other side you have the conservatives, who possibly by virtue of their more traditional upbringing, are uncomfortable with the words used by the liberals.

    With globalization, I contend that these cultural clashes are inevitable.

    Going ahead, I personally hope the liberals will be more sensitive to the conservative's unique POV, but I also understand - due to upbringing - it is not an easy task. I respect the liberals' need to exercise their right to freedom of speech.

  17. #97

    Default Re: CS "critics" suck?

    Uses of the word "suck"

    Greetings - "How the suck are you?"
    Fraud - "I was sucked by the McDonalds Drive Through."
    Dismay - "Oh, suck it."
    Trouble - "Well, I guess I'm sucked again."
    Aggression - "Suck you!!!"
    Disgust - "Suck me!!!"
    Confusion, Curiosity or Disbelief - "What the suck....?"
    Difficulty - "I don't understand this sucking thing."
    Despair - "Sucked again."
    Good Job - "Congratusuckinglations."
    Desperation - "Suckitysucksucksuck."
    Incompetence - "He sucks up everything."
    Disappointment - "This sucking sucker is sucked."
    Intelligence - "He's a sucking genius."
    Dismissal - "Why don't you go outside and play hide-and-go-suck-yourself?"
    Displeasure - "What the suck is going on?"
    Lost - "Where the suck are we?"
    Disbelief - "Unbesuckinglievable!!!"
    Retaliation - "Up your sucking ass!!!"
    Laziness - "He's just a suck-off."
    Pain - "Suck ! that hurt."
    Pleasure - "Oooooooh Fuuuuuuck"
    Love - "Do ya Suck on first dates?"
    Starting a relationship - "Let's suck now!"
    Surprise - "Sucking hell what was that?"
    Admiration - "Nice sucking tits!"
    Stupid person - "Dumbsuck!"
    Hate - "You Suck!"
    Condemnation - "Suck that sh!t!"
    Disappointment - "That's not sucking fair."
    A poker hand - "A Royal Suck."
    Ignorant person - "Suckstick."
    Denial - "I didn't sucking do it."
    Perplexity - "I know suck all about it."
    Apathy - "Who gives a suck."
    Confusion - "What the suck just happened?"
    Resignation - "Oh suck it."
    Suspicion - "Who the suck are you?"
    Panic - "Let's get the suck out of here!"
    Directions - "Suck off."
    Sex - "Let's suck."
    Maternal - "Mothersucker."
    Incestuous - "Mothersucker."
    Ambiguity - "I'm not so sucking sure."
    Agreement - "Absosuckinglutely."
    Questioning Authority - "Who the suck do you think you are?"
    Hypocrisy - "Don't you dare sucking swear at me you sucking sucker."
    Praising the Lord - "Jesus Sucking Christ."
    I have a headache - "Go suck yourself."
    Refusal - "Oh you can suck right off."
    Pissed off - "Suck the sucking suckers!"
    Be quiet - "Shut the suck up."
    You're right - "Sucking oath." (Australianism)
    Ostentation - "He's just bought a big, suck-off Mercedes."
    Sensuousness - "She was wearing a pair of red leather, suck-me boots."
    Confidence - "Suckin' A."
    Impressed - "That was sucking amazing."
    Oral sex after 30 years of marriage - "Suck you!" (while passing each other in the hall)
    Apathy - "I don't give a suck."
    Bewilderment or Ignorance - "Sucked if I know."
    Enraged - "I'm gonna suck you up!"
    Annoyance - "Suck off, sucker."
    Annoyance - "For suck's sake."
    Pissed off - "Suck you, you sucking suck."
    Tardiness - "It's ten-sucking-thirty already?"
    Broken down motorcycle - "Sir, the sucking sucker has sucked up on me.
    Professional appraisal of mechanical failure - "It's sucked."
    Minors - "Sucklings."
    Morons - "Sucktards."
    Thanks - "Suck you very much."


    .

  18. #98

    Default Re: CS "critics" suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    you mean you have been to a mnc's meeting with bosses sitting in and they use such terms?
    I said. And not the first time I hear that word used. And not the worse word I heard and used.

    The word "suck" really is no big deal in American culture.

    Now, that time I said ...this deal is a monumental f***ed up, sure got lots of attention, the entire room, everyone stopped smsing
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  19. #99
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: CS "critics" suck?

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    you mean you have been to a mnc's meeting with bosses sitting in and they use such terms?
    when i was in uni, i've seen tutors who use that word. and i've seen tutors make direct criticism on students' personal character because of the works they submit. i've seen tutors tear up students' work, throw them into rubbish bin. it's usually the more passionate tutors who do that, and they are more than often the preferred tutors.

    not saying that there are tutors in CS, or that CS should pick up that (that's entirely up to the admin to decide) just saying that in fields that engage art and artistic effort, it's really quite common for strong and negative words to be used. words directed at works are words directed at works, not words directed at person(s).

  20. #100
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: CS "critics" suck?

    i think something is fundimentaly (wrong spelling) wrong with a coperate's culture if it allows people smsing in the middle of a meeting, hence, no surprise in the choice of words used.

    but i think Reliance have brought up a point on globalization and along with it cultural clashes are inevitable. no easy way to solve these i suppose.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •