Thread: any way to have lesser or prevent noise taken on a digicam?

Default any way to have lesser or prevent noise taken on a digicam?

any way to have lesser or prevent noise taken on a digicam?
    i saw G3 and D60 also got noise in nite shots too

even on a 602z
    wow
    anyway to prevent it
    setting ISO?
    use tripod?
    F-stop?
    shutter speed?

put a peltier behind the CCD and cool it to below 0 degree.....you won't see any noise even you use 5min shutter

but that's for extreme case....i have seen pple cut a hole below their DC and stick a fan there to cool the CCD

it really works!
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

wow tat is extreme cut a hole?

btw, to have lesser noise....

u are suppose to use lower ISO, shorter shutter speed and turn on the noise reduction on your cam, but dun expect noise reduction to be very useful for super long exposure becos it can only reduce the noise using software but not eliminate noise totally

of cos the best way is to keep the CCD cool...cos the noise is mostly due to the heat accumulated on the CCD during long exposure.

another way is to upgrade to D30/D60 which uses CMOS sensor and give u lesser noise....astrophotographer uses up to 5min exposure for D60 and still can get very good image, but we also use special technique like taking dark frame and white frame to help reduce noises. we will then take tens to hundreds of such "5min shots" and then stack them together to get the image. this is another way to reduce noise - short shutter speed and stacking

imagine 10 x 5min shots will be equiv to 50min exposure already

anyway, nose on the 602Z and G3 isn't that bad I doubt they'll be very obvious when you print them out. Unless you spend time scrutinising the monitor screen for noise, it shouldn't bother you so much
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

s45newbie
    Guests

I read somewhere that by switching off your digicam's sharpening feature might help.

Otherwise ...
    1) use lowest ISO possible
    2) shorter shutter speed if handheld
    3) use a tripod if 1) and 2) is not feasible and set to a timed shutter release

Originally posted by s45newbie
    I read somewhere that by switching off your digicam's sharpening feature might help.

Otherwise ...
    1) use lowest ISO possible
    2) shorter shutter speed if handheld
    3) use a tripod if 1) and 2) is not feasible and set to a timed shutter release
    not sure if switch off sharpening will help....but dun think 3) can help to reduce noise anyway

Trevor_Tan
    Guests

Originally posted by Wai
    put a peltier behind the CCD and cool it to below 0 degree.....you won't see any noise even you use 5min shutter

but that's for extreme case....i have seen pple cut a hole below their DC and stick a fan there to cool the CCD

it really works!
    Wah very extreme leh. But in this case with the heat out of the equations, you will have another problem with dust blown into the camera thru the hole and have spots on CCD liao.

Previous I was using Canon PS A40, as compare to current S602Z. I find Canon shots are very much more cleaner when using low ISO in dark area such as shadow (known as shadow noise, I think).

But of course S602Z better in low night as compare A40, always a trade off.

If you are shooting something static, then you can take a few shots of the same scene and then average the shots in PS. That should reduce the noise.

Alternatively, shoot a dark frame (with the lens cap on) using the same exposure settings as the actual shot immediately after the actual shot, and then subtract the dark frame from the original. This is the same method as in-camera noise reduction. Since the in-camera noise reduction only turns on for longer exposure time, you will have to do this maually for shorter exposure times.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

There are limits to the degree of noise reduction you can achieve in-camera, because of the inherent problem of small CCD's with a large number of pixels.

The next best thing you can do is reduce noise during post-processing. Try out NeatImage (www.neatimage.com). It works pretty well, and it's FREE!

wow at last a software
    to help clean up the noise
    heee
    thx's man

Originally posted by StreetShooter
    There are limits to the degree of noise reduction you can achieve in-camera, because of the inherent problem of small CCD's with a large number of pixels.

The next best thing you can do is reduce noise during post-processing. Try out NeatImage (www.neatimage.com). It works pretty well, and it's FREE!
    wow cool stuff, anybody using this?

I tried before but not much help...
    Hmmmm maybe I am doing it wrong... anyone with good success stories?

Yes, it works wonder for me.

Send me a sample shot and I'll show you what it can do.

Cool! I'll go dig up my old shot!
    Will mail you these coupple of days.
    Thanks!

Here's another PS action by Mathias Vejerslev that I came across on dpreview's Nikon Talk Forum.

http://www.2morrow.dk/75ppi/coolpix/actions/

From the examples shown on the website I'd say it is definitely worth a try.

- Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Originally posted by StreetShooter

it works pretty well for me too, look at my lambo photo, it was taken with S30 @ ISO200 so it is rather noisy...and this software completely remove all the noise even when i zoom in 100%

but then some details were lost..