Thread: Viewing slides

Default Viewing slides

Hi, was wondering what is the most economical way of viewing slides? Does anyone still use slide projectors and if so, do you know where I can find them? It appears Kodak has discontinued their production of slide projectors in 2004..

Default Re: Viewing slides

i got slide projector, bought & never use, haha...
    then i got the Gepe color corrected panel with rodenstock loupe...

and another useless one i bought is those loupe & light box all in 1 viewer...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
    Hi, was wondering what is the most economical way of viewing slides? Does anyone still use slide projectors and if so, do you know where I can find them? It appears Kodak has discontinued their production of slide projectors in 2004..
    Check ebay or your local school, university, poly AV dept. They may have old projectors that they are tossing out.

You can pick up 35mm projectors in mint condition for less than USD$50. But the shipping costs will kill you bec they are usually very heavy. Weight is about 5-10kg.

If you want a good economical lightbox, build one yourself. I started with the small portable Cabin, then a slide projector, but I got the most enjoyment from the lightbox I built. Parts I used:

1) 2x flourescent light fixtures. Replaced the tubes with the 5K color temp versions.

2) A sheet of white corflute or cholorplast

3) A sheet of opal plastic cut to size

For less than A$200 bucks (should be cheaper still in SG), I got a pretty decent lightbox that I can lay 3 pages of 35mm slide or neg pages. It's very gratifying to be able to see so many slides at once.

Cheers
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post

i flip the study lamp upside down.
    place 2 stack of books on each side of the lamp.
    place a smooth, flat, frosted looking plastic ontop of the books with the lamp under it, leaving a gap between the lamp and plastic.
    view the slides through my 50mm f1.4 lens.

if i got more time, i mount those slides i really like, view them with the projector with white wall.
    Last edited by denniskee; 4th October 2006 at 12:57 AM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Wow those ideas are cool.. thanks! What would be the best kind of light to view slides? The 5K color temp ones?

not sure, but i use the cool flourescent lamp.

i find it doesnt really matters, look at the slides projector lamp, dont think the lamp are accurate in term of color temp.

i think what is more important is to have a surface (the plastic) that can evenly distribute the light and it should be smooth so as to damage the slides.

if you have the plastic bigger than your laptop screen, than just use this combi to view the slides lor.
    Last edited by denniskee; 6th October 2006 at 12:33 AM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    i think what is more important is to have a surface (the plastic) that can evenly distribute the light and it should be smooth so as to damage the slides.
    Yes, that's very important. If not, you get areas in your slides that are brighter than others. That's why the opal sheet is essential.

I used to handhold a portable flourescent tube with a clear protective plastic, the kind you find the army people use, but it was pretty lousy.

If you have the default tube + a 5K tube switched on side by side, you can see a very big difference in the level of "whiteness". The default is usually 4.5K. Though it looks white, it pales when you compare it to 5K.

Maybe 5.5K is the actual definition of daylight? But I can't find 5.5K tubes.