Thread: Little red flowers

Default Little red flowers

Hi Everybody,

Have posted this in the Macro gellery before and would like to hear C&C from more experienced bros here.

some data:
    sensitivity: ISO400
    focal length: 80mm
    Hoya 10x macro filter
    apperture priority @ f/7.1
    MF
    tripod used
    around 6pm
    Last edited by titaniumt4; 2nd October 2006 at 05:23 PM.

Default Re: Little red flowers

I'm not into macros but was wondering any reasons for using ISO400 since you already have a tripod? The photos look a little soft throughout, was this deliberate?
    "...not taking what one doesn't desire is the hardest thing in the world" - Albert Camus

pic is not sharp, n draw the people more into the blur part of your pic..
    Too much unnecessary space in the pic. If its not needed, throw it away.
    Shoot more in wide, to get a better fuller n clearer pic of the flower.
    Unless u want to get a certain part of the flower clear, use an extension tube.
    Canon EOS 50D 24-105mm f4 L IS 70-200mm f/4 IS L 50mm f/1.8

Quote Originally Posted by centurion_sg View Post
    I'm not into macros but was wondering any reasons for using ISO400 since you already have a tripod? The photos look a little soft throughout, was this deliberate?
    ISO was set to auto, as it was around 6pm+, the surrounding light is a bit low, and i was setting apperture priority, so that was what the camera set the ISO to be.

the pix were soft because I was using 10x Hoya macro filter, it was not deliberate.

in a way, I kindda like the softness as it looks like water color pix.

I agree with bWilly that the picture is not sharp. It is very dreamy looking and doesn't look appealing to me. #2 : maybe you can focus more on the inside of the flower.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilly View Post
    pic is not sharp, n draw the people more into the blur part of your pic..
    Too much unnecessary space in the pic. If its not needed, throw it away.
    Shoot more in wide, to get a better fuller n clearer pic of the flower.
    Unless u want to get a certain part of the flower clear, use an extension tube.
    Yeah, I am serously considering using extension tube instead of this 10x macro filter, anyway, you will have to be real close to the subject and its quite hard to focus...

as of the space, i kindda like it that it looks like water color painting, but thats my own perception...

Quote Originally Posted by titaniumt4 View Post
    as of the space, i kindda like it that it looks like water color painting, but thats my own perception...
    i'll like to quickly illustrate how the space you're referring to might not be working the
    way you wanted it.

Proportion

proportioning is an important component of composition. in pictures where
    the focused area is small and out of focused area is large, it becomes
    especially apparent.

as shown above, the focused area is rather lost in a sea of out of focused area.
    i'm not saying that such a proportioning is always bad, it doesn't contribute here
    because the out of focused area contains complicated details such as contrasting
    colours and complex arrangement of lines, which fights with the focussed area for
    attention.

as such you might want to recrop the image for an easier proportion for the subject.

Colour

next you might want to consider the frame in terms of the colours.

obviously the red out of focused petal on the upper left is stealing attention,
    here you might want to consider using a method such as circular gradient in
    photo editing software to create a vignetting effect around the frame so as to
    cut down the influence from the 'extra' red petal.

by no means are these absolute truths, this is just one way out of thousands to
    reconsider your pictures.

Non of the first 5 worked for me because they are lacking in Depth of Field. You lose focus when you try to look at them. The colours are alittle too rich (oversaturation). Just my observation.

Quote Originally Posted by titaniumt4 View Post

I dont mind the OOF look. In fact, It like the pastel colors and soft look of the #2, #3 and #4. Gives me a very dreamy, light feeling.
    My Webspace
    ##See and listen with your heart, for beauty will reveal thyself##

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post

as such you might want to recrop the image for an easier proportion for the subject.

obviously the red out of focused petal on the upper left is stealing attention,
    here you might want to consider using a method such as circular gradient in
    photo editing software to create a vignetting effect around the frame so as to
    cut down the influence from the 'extra' red petal.

by no means are these absolute truths, this is just one way out of thousands to
    reconsider your pictures.
    Thanks for your effort bro.

I like the tightness of the cropped image, as for the vignetting effect, maybe can put more highlights and saturations on the focused protion may make it stand out a bit, but damn pai seh that I dun have enuf time to photoshop...

This is also the beauty of having C&Cs, which will allow me to gather different views and opinions, so that I can improve. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by eng_keow View Post

I dont mind the OOF look. In fact, It like the pastel colors and soft look of the #2, #3 and #4. Gives me a very dreamy, light feeling.
    Thanks, that is my feel as well. Was thinking to print out as A4 to see whether it has that pastel color painting feel...

alternatively, eikin's cropping also presented a different feel which I also like.