Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 345671015 ... LastLast

Thread: How to shoot banquet?

Default Re: How to shoot banquet?

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    yes, the LS comes with the cd but not very helpful.he doesnt tell u what to set or what to compensate.

so if i set my camera to manual, but the flash i leave it to iTTL rite?it will talk to the d200 and fire appropriately?
    ... I guess trying out the LS on your family with different angles might help.

You can check this out too...
    http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/

I use manual+flash for my macro photos, not banquet though. It works.

thank you all for your kind comments and guidance, as well as holding my hand up the experience ladder

ok, to sum up,

MINIMUM f stop i should use is 5.6 or 8.
    most likely u'll be using a wide lens. wide lenses do haf great DOF. anything from f4 and up is good. depends on the ISO u're using too.

i have 18-200 and a 17-35f2.8. but i usually bring my walkaround lens which is the 18-200 since i am NOT the official photographer.just kaypo and shoot FOR FUN

shutter speed should be about 1/60, and 1/30 should be the minimum i go.
    shutter speed is dependent on the amount of ambience light u wanna capture and it is linked with the ISO u've set. alot has to do with how bright the place really is.

1/60 would be ideal for ISO800 and up.
    1/30 would be more for ISO400.

flash SB800- set to TTL WITHOUT BL.when using bounce, add 0.5+ Exposure compensation on flash.
    i do notice if i shoot direct using the built in wide adaptor, the flash comes out a bit harsh.
    i love bounce but i cant really control it well.
    ok, so for the hongkee gary fong lightsphere clouded, what settings should i dial the flash to?still TTL and exposure compensate?(since it generally underex?)
    can't really advise u on Bounce-card flash fotography(i assume, bounce could be from the walls, the ceilings... cards...) becos i use the LS exclusively.

it's a very simple device to use, really. jus take note of more light loss if u're using the cloudy version as opposed to the clear version.

the cloudy version is much more warmer, in its output, as compared to the clear version which i think is more neutral.

simply attach the dome to ur LSPJII and point the flash upwards will do.

another question using the LS, if i shoot portrait format, do i point the lighsphere up 90degress, or 45 degrees, or directly at the subject?i usually leave the dome on.
    i simply point the dome straight at the subject. if the flash output isn't strong enough, remove the dome and shoot again.

i think i will stick to Aperture priority.for a newbie like me, is it even safe to use manual?
    should be Manual all the way. it's easy.

also, a stupid question...WHY use manual when the such a sophisticated camera can do all the calculations for you?as i said again, stupid question from a newbie.i know experienced users will of course prefer manual.but WHY? you mean if i use A mode and exposure compensate the flash, i wont be able to achieve the same results as manual?
    please enlighten me on this.
    sophisticated the flash might be but still they are made by humans. we're still smarter than them and these equipments can be fooled easily by circumstances and such.

manual, becos from the first foto of the banquet table, we can easily adjust aperture upwards or shutter downwards etc.etc. different tables might require different values... oh well. it depends on situation.

hey btw, i'm surprise that clubsnap has been around so long and no one actually posted this 'how to shoot banquet' thread?

or can i assume guys here only like to shoot bikinis, portraits and BDSM?
    to be perfectly honest... these type of shoots are the easiest.
    horses for courses, some might not think so.

but when it gets to the banquet table shoots, i know the end of the day is drawing near. hahaha

yes, the LS comes with the cd but not very helpful.he doesnt tell u what to set or what to compensate.

so if i set my camera to manual, but the flash i leave it to iTTL rite?it will talk to the d200 and fire appropriately?

u simply need more practise with using the LSPJII. and yes, amazingly, ur SB800 will talk to ur D200 and they will make friends and try to help u take better fotos.

of course, my LSPJII is different from others....
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

one wedding banquet 30 tables
    ten wedding banquets 300 tables
    hundred wedding banquets 3000 tables

that's why many photographers say table shots are piece of cake.

what to compensate? What is your camera monitor for? can you tell is your exposure correct by looking at the monitor? if it is already overexposed, do you still want to add compensation?

Set camera in manual mode is to lock the shutter speed and aperture setting, you are using the flash as main light.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

hey btw, i'm surprise that clubsnap has been around so long and no one actually posted this 'how to shoot banquet' thread?

or can i assume guys here only like to shoot bikinis, portraits and BDSM?
    Your qn is not exclusive. There are other similar threads before. However, the advise given may differ.

There are people with different shooting style. Some prefer full auto, semi auto, Fully manual. I chose fully manual so that I can control what I want. If u set it to Aperture priority, there could be chances that the camera is trick into giving a wrong value. This is because the sensor take the average reading of that area and decide the exposure. You may not even shoot the photos evenly.

Deregistered

Default Re: how to shoot banquet?

this thread is NOT about rich nor poor.if you have no other comments, please shut your trap.

who in the world says MUST know something b4 can buy d200+combo THEN can shoot banquet?
    yes, i can afford the equipment. and i'm trying to learn from the helpful members here.
    for your info, learning a skill doesnt mean u start old school.else, why driving lessons are conducted using modern cars?why not use a 1818 vintage?

if you have nothing to contribute, appreciate you keep your fingers busy by doing something else.
    TQ.
    Well said I salute u for what u have said.. Even for those using 1DS mark 2 has so far never heard them saying that D200 & SB-800 is nothing.. Since you said they're nothing,mind to ask you what are you using... Contax.. Mamiya... Or maybe Leica is it... Mind what you say before people starting to use your **** to shut your trap!!

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    one wedding banquet 30 tables
    ten wedding banquets 300 tables
    hundred wedding banquets 3000 tables

that's why many photographers say table shots are piece of cake.

what to compensate? What is your camera monitor for? can you tell is your exposure correct by looking at the monitor? if it is already overexposed, do you still want to add compensation?

Set camera in manual mode is to lock the shutter speed and aperture setting, you are using the flash as main light.
    you know hor...that day only 1 night of about 4 hours, my enel3batt hor...almost empty u now?so i hope i can 'fire and forget'.heheheheeee.no need to review best lah.

you know hor...that day only 1 night of about 4 hours, my enel3batt hor...almost empty u now?so i hope i can 'fire and forget'.heheheheeee.no need to review best lah.

you use D200 you don't know this camera "eat batteries" like drink water? where is your spare batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    you use D200 you don't know this camera "eat batteries" like drink water? where is your spare batteries?
    korkor...go ez on me can?i stress again me newbie hor....
    just got my d200 niah...

i only bought 2 batts.and yes, one finishduring the wedding, so i pop in one more to review the pics.

korkor...go ez on me can?i stress again me newbie hor....
    just got my d200 niah...

i only bought 2 batts.and yes, one finishduring the wedding, so i pop in one more to review the pics.
    Hah? U shd be reviewing once u shoot. Not the other way round. What u are doing now is like shooting film. Shoot now, processed and see

Quote Originally Posted by CreaXion View Post
    Hah? U shd be reviewing once u shoot. Not the other way round. What u are doing now is like shooting film. Shoot now, processed and see
    so i should enable preview on?lidat hor..i tink the power usage lagi worse.
    i only review the shots which i think may not turn out well.if i'm confident, then i dont even review it lor.

i only review the shots which i think may not turn out well.if i'm confident, then i dont even review it lor.
    Of couse you must shoot with confident.
    I set my review always on, make sure I get the shot right immediately.

So may i know. are your shots correct?

If u say it is correct, is it on print or on screen? There is a very huge difference.

So may i know. are your shots correct?

If u say it is correct, is it on print or on screen? There is a very huge difference.

as long as they look OK to me on screen.i really dont care about printing it.

if i'm that meticulous about on LCD and on prints, then i'll prob need to buy spyder or gretagmacbeth screen calibration to get the colors rite?
    neverending one lah!

as long as they look OK to me on screen.i really dont care about printing it.

if i'm that meticulous about on LCD and on prints, then i'll prob need to buy spyder or gretagmacbeth screen calibration to get the colors rite?
    neverending one lah!
    Maybe I am harsh. But it seems that we have wasted our effort in trying to get your shots right. If u think that by seeing on screen is rt, then I am sad to say, u have stopped at a dead end to your hobby.

Screen is never comparable to prints. People may argue but real photographers whether serious hobbyists, pros or whatsoever will know that screen look does not equate prints. Screen whether calibrated or not is only 72 DPI while on prints, it is 300 to 400 DPI. The difference is great.

I no money to calibrate my screen but I know how a gd photo shd look on my screen as I have done a comparison with my developer's screen and print.

If u think that screen equates prints and u are not meticulous abt the details, then I suggest u dropped the "hobby" quickly cause u will be wasting your money in the investments. YOU HAVE HIT A DEAD END cause you never know how a real photo looks like and your pics will never hit std cause no observation of details. However, the choice and money is yours. Good bye

Maybe I am harsh. But it seems that we have wasted our effort in trying to get your shots right. If u think that by seeing on screen is rt, then I am sad to say, u have stopped at a dead end to your hobby.

Screen is never comparable to prints. People may argue but real photographers whether serious hobbyists, pros or whatsoever will know that screen look does not equate prints. Screen whether calibrated or not is only 72 DPI while on prints, it is 300 to 400 DPI. The difference is great.

I no money to calibrate my screen but I know how a gd photo shd look on my screen as I have done a comparison with my developer's screen and print.

If u think that screen equates prints and u are not meticulous abt the details, then I suggest u dropped the "hobby" quickly cause u will be wasting your money in the investments. YOU HAVE HIT A DEAD END cause you never know how a real photo looks like and your pics will never hit std cause no observation of details. However, the choice and money is yours. Good bye

u do haf a point there...

but some ppl jus take fotos for the fun of it.
    we shud let them enjoy their hobby as they deem fit.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post

Pay a few thousand dollars for the fun of it . Maybe u are rt that I am too harsh.

One of the thing that Singapore needs is people with passion. That is how peaks are created. Look at the newbies that are coming out to work in any job. So lack of passion in their work. Of course no peaks lah.

creaxion,
    ok ok

so HOW do i match my d200 'okaylah' pics with print pics?
    but as long as i see screen ok, print should be ok right?
    else?how do i go about doing it?please teach me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post

ya.i seriously do it for fun.

but i appreciate all the help given to me in this thread to help me improve.thanks

Default Re: how to shoot banquet?

Quote Originally Posted by thoa_rs View Post
    I don't understand why people make table shots sound so complicated. I just keep to 1/60 F5.6 at ISO800, direct SB800 with the WA adaptor. As long as you keep you seated and standing guests more or less the same number (so that most of your frame is filled by subjects at the same distance), it is highly unlikely to go wrong. I just dial in +0.5 of flash compensation whenever there's too much of the white table showing.

As for ambient light, sure you can get your background slighly brighter by bringing your shutter speed down further, but at what expense? Unless you gel your flash head to the similar temp as the ambient lighting, the people will be subject to uneven coloration (due to different temps in flash and ambient).

Never had a use for omnibounce and cards, they just use up more flash power and don't make a difference. I like to take two shots quickly so as to prevent blinkers. As long as you use a bit of common sense with your flash compensation, it's very easy to get properly exposed photos for every single table shot.

just want to tell you i love yours pics in your webpage.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 345671015 ... LastLast