Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast

Thread: How to shoot banquet?

Default Re: how to shoot banquet?

I don't understand why people make table shots sound so complicated. I just keep to 1/60 F5.6 at ISO800, direct SB800 with the WA adaptor. As long as you keep you seated and standing guests more or less the same number (so that most of your frame is filled by subjects at the same distance), it is highly unlikely to go wrong. I just dial in +0.5 of flash compensation whenever there's too much of the white table showing.

As for ambient light, sure you can get your background slighly brighter by bringing your shutter speed down further, but at what expense? Unless you gel your flash head to the similar temp as the ambient lighting, the people will be subject to uneven coloration (due to different temps in flash and ambient).

Never had a use for omnibounce and cards, they just use up more flash power and don't make a difference. I like to take two shots quickly so as to prevent blinkers. As long as you use a bit of common sense with your flash compensation, it's very easy to get properly exposed photos for every single table shot.

Quote Originally Posted by thoa_rs View Post
    I don't understand why people make table shots sound so complicated. I just keep to 1/60 F5.6 at ISO800, direct SB800 with the WA adaptor. As long as you keep you seated and standing guests more or less the same number (so that most of your frame is filled by subjects at the same distance), it is highly unlikely to go wrong. I just dial in +0.5 of flash compensation whenever there's too much of the white table showing.

As for ambient light, sure you can get your background slighly brighter by bringing your shutter speed down further, but at what expense? Unless you gel your flash head to the similar temp as the ambient lighting, the people will be subject to uneven coloration (due to different temps in flash and ambient).

Never had a use for omnibounce and cards, they just use up more flash power and don't make a difference. I like to take two shots quickly so as to prevent blinkers. As long as you use a bit of common sense with your flash compensation, it's very easy to get properly exposed photos for every single table shot.
    It is easy for pp who are used to it but not easy for newbies. Worse if it is high ceiling ballroom with yellow light. Remember the time when i was a newbie, whew, so scared to cockup the shots. Experence helped us to see certain things to look out for.

I have never shot a banquet or wedding table setting, but I read with interesting observations in this thread, me just trying to figure out what I would do if I am thrown into the same situation and have never done this before.

Just thinking out loud having known that the camera manufacturer spends alot of dough on R&D and I believe shooting Program Mode with Auto ISO would be a good choice to begin with, to see how the camera's electronics would set the scene, having seen that on LCD then it would be good to sample that by switching to AP or Manual Mode and playing with the Apertures and ISO so that it would make your scene better in terms of DOV or noise depending on your preference.

Wouldn't that be a wise thing to do? please bear in mind that imagine that you have never shot this type of scene before. I think getting the most out of the camera's intelligence and using that to fine-tune would be a good thing, no? That's the differnce between film and digital isn't it?

../azul123

Oh oh... and watch the histogram, again use the electronics to aid you.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by thoa_rs View Post

to each his own.
    YMMV. there's no one true way of shooting.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Default Re: How to shoot banquet?

for such group photo, i use 1/40 to 1/60, depends ambient light, and set at f5.6 minimum. cos mostly shoot at wide angle cos of space constraints, below 5.6 quite unsafe, unless only 4r. but when ppl blow s8r, then u see not that sharp at left and right, then ppl say you not professional enough.
    flash, i encourage use bounce card attached to sb800 good enough, as iso was at 800. don't use direct, as no fault at it, but will cause those specky reflection alot.
    after 1 shot, see histogram, that is bloody important, as not balance use flash to compensate. set camera to after shots histogram auto pop up.
    why histogram that important, cos over u know lah, but under also jialat, as color and grain all come out if printed.

why shd i tell this when i am called a idiot........
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

smurfman that's kind of you to give pointers to newbies. learnt abt these 2 threads from last nite kopi session at punggol.

it is good to hold their hand and guide them along.
    cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfman View Post
    for such group photo, i use 1/40 to 1/60, depends ambient light, and set at f5.6 minimum. cos mostly shoot at wide angle cos of space constraints, below 5.6 quite unsafe, unless only 4r. but when ppl blow s8r, then u see not that sharp at left and right, then ppl say you not professional enough.
    flash, i encourage use bounce card attached to sb800 good enough, as iso was at 800. don't use direct, as no fault at it, but will cause those specky reflection alot.
    after 1 shot, see histogram, that is bloody important, as not balance use flash to compensate. set camera to after shots histogram auto pop up.
    why histogram that important, cos over u know lah, but under also jialat, as color and grain all come out if printed.

why shd i tell this when i am called a idiot........

Three cheers for Smurfman.

Jeanie,
    What smurfman said is correct for the F5.6. But it also depends how well u understand focal length. Last time for my Group Dais shot, I always shoot at F5.6 or above. Nowadays, I shot at F4 to F5. That is because I control my zoom. For your case, not less than F5.6

Quote Originally Posted by CreaXion View Post
    Three cheers for Smurfman.

Jeanie,
    What smurfman said is correct for the F5.6. But it also depends how well u understand focal length. Last time for my Group Dais shot, I always shoot at F5.6 or above. Nowadays, I shot at F4 to F5. That is because I control my zoom. For your case, not less than F5.6
    3 cheers for me................

sure???

i am so touch................... thk u thk u............
    i wanna thk my parents, my wife, my 2 daughters, my colleagues, oh so many to thk for................
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smurfman View Post
    3 cheers for me................

sure???

i am so touch................... thk u thk u............
    i wanna thk my parents, my wife, my 2 daughters, my colleagues, oh so many to thk for................
    Please carry on sharing

and thanking...

CS is still a nice place.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Forget about other camera modes.. jus use manual.. here's something.. hope it helps..

ISO: 400 (to 800, any higher wont be nice cos noise might spoil details which is esp bad for subject faces that small)

Aperture: 5.6 (or 4 - 5.6, if the group is forming a semi-circle, safer to goes 5.6, focus center on of the group.. of course if group is in a parade-style line then go lower is ok)

Shutter: 60 (best to keep it there, but can goes lower to 30 which i think it's relatively 'un'safe.. 50-40 wont makes much different on exposure so might as well stick to 'my' safe zone.. another reason is (while shooting tables) the 1/60 setting (+ flash) is still considerably fast enough to catch a good candid in rare chances, rather then fiddling with the dial losing time or ended up with motion blur.. remember there's sometimes alot of toasting, laughing, etc.. during couple 'walkabout'..

Light: Tilted Bounce Flash FEV +2/3 (or 0 - 1 1/3, it can be omibounce or bounce card, to me that's petty difference, but important to watch the ceiling.. FEV in some case has to be well control, which probably link with the ambient too.. it's best to act just as fill light on subject but not gonna be always such the case, hard to explain leh.. example if the BG is too dark, there's no ceiling, and FEV is up, then exposure for subject and BG is too much.. wont it be nicer if shoot raw with FEV 0 then brighten up the entire pic in software til subject is correctly expose, this way you brighten the bg also..

Colour: AWB, 4500k - 4800k (ermm at least for all cases i keep it that way and it has been working fine, color richness and saturation will have to depend on different camera and software adjustment..)

Range: 28-35mm (for FF, at this range with f5.6 the DOF should be quite safe for round tables, for other group portraits if you go lower, watch out.. distortion is your worst nightmare..)

Angle: bend yourself, lower your pespective in eye-level of seated down subject, this way the table appear 'smaller' and picture looks more 'even'..

Composition: Probably no room for creativity (For this kinda formal shot, demand is they wants it neat, so just left right balance, as for top bottom, show more of table is better then too much head room)

Before the 'click': Start the countdown (push them to , watch the expressions, esp watch those kids, and lastly watch out for eye-blink... *snap* .. okay one more..

If you are the main photographer for banquet tables, this session could be quite tiring, esp those 35 and above.. squatting half way, doing 'horse step', talking very loudly, .. and yet had to keep an eye on surrounding... pheww.. so to ease my arms alittle, i would rest the camera (with grip) on my left shoulder while looking though my left eye, in fact this way also increase steadyness, which allow me to go as low as 0.3" sharp.. yaa.. oso with the help of IS lar...

good luck with your banquet shot.. again hope it helps...

Quote Originally Posted by DT_
    If you are the main photographer for banquet tables, this session could be quite tiring, esp those 35 and above.. squatting half way, doing 'horse step', talking very loudly, .. and yet had to keep an eye on surrounding... pheww.. so to ease my arms alittle, i would rest the camera (with grip) on my left shoulder while looking though my left eye, in fact this way also increase steadyness, which allow me to go as low as 0.3" sharp.. yaa.. oso with the help of IS lar...
    This might ease a little, Angle Finder.

../azul123

>> DT << very informative, thks

Quote Originally Posted by DT_ View Post

Light: Tilted Bounce Flash FEV +2/3 (or 0 - 1 1/3, it can be omibounce or bounce card, to me that's petty difference, but important to watch the ceiling.. FEV in some case has to be well control, which probably link with the ambient too.. it's best to act just as fill light on subject but not gonna be always such the case, hard to explain leh.. example if the BG is too dark, there's no ceiling, and FEV is up, then exposure for subject and BG is too much.. wont it be nicer if shoot raw with FEV 0 then brighten up the entire pic in software til subject is correctly expose, this way you brighten the bg also..
    Hah I understand what u mean. I am currently also using the same technique. It is a bit unorthodox but u get a very nice background. My developer explain to me before cause he is also a photographer. He showed me how he processed the photo and then I finally understood. A bit unorthodox and it is difficult for pp to see unless show them hands-on. However, there is a risk of underexposure though. Got to control your camera very well.

Oh, wow, I like this thread..

thank you all for your kind comments and guidance, as well as holding my hand up the experience ladder

ok, to sum up,

MINIMUM f stop i should use is 5.6 or 8.
    i have 18-200 and a 17-35f2.8. but i usually bring my walkaround lens which is the 18-200 since i am NOT the official photographer.just kaypo and shoot FOR FUN

shutter speed should be about 1/60, and 1/30 should be the minimum i go.

flashSB800-set to TTL WITHOUT BL.when using bounce, add 0.5+ Exposure compensation on flash.
    i do notice if i shoot direct using the built in wide adaptor, the flash comes out a bit harsh.
    i love bounce but i cant really control it well.
    ok, so for the hongkee gary fong lightsphere clouded, what settings should i dial the flash to?still TTL and exposure compensate?(since it generally underex?)

another question using the LS, if i shoot portrait format, do i point the lighsphere up 90degress, or 45 degrees, or directly at the subject?i usually leave the dome on.

i think i will stick to Aperture priority.for a newbie like me, is it even safe to use manual?
    also, a stupid question...WHY use manual when the such a sophisticated camera can do all the calculations for you?as i said again, stupid question from a newbie.i know experienced users will of course prefer manual.but WHY? you mean if i use A mode and exposure compensate the flash, i wont be able to achieve the same results as manual?
    please enlighten me on this.

hey btw, i'm surprise that clubsnap has been around so long and no one actually posted this 'how to shoot banquet' thread?

or can i assume guys here only like to shoot bikinis, portraits and BDSM?

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    ...flashSB800-set to TTL WITHOUT BL.when using bounce, add 0.5+ Exposure compensation on flash.
    i do notice if i shoot direct using the built in wide adaptor, the flash comes out a bit harsh.
    i love bounce but i cant really control it well.
    ok, so for the hongkee gary fong lightsphere clouded, what settings should i dial the flash to?still TTL and exposure compensate?(since it generally underex?)

another question using the LS, if i shoot portrait format, do i point the lighsphere up 90degress, or 45 degrees, or directly at the subject?i usually leave the dome on.
    You can try DIYing a bounce card. Test it out... you will find that it helps greatly.

As for the LS, if I am not wrong, it comes with a tutorial CD. Not too sure, I don't own one. Maybe any LS owner can verify this.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    ...i think i will stick to Aperture priority.for a newbie like me, is it even safe to use manual?
    also, a stupid question...WHY use manual when the such a sophisticated camera can do all the calculations for you?as i said again, stupid question from a newbie.i know experienced users will of course prefer manual.but WHY? you mean if i use A mode and exposure compensate the flash, i wont be able to achieve the same results as manual?
    please enlighten me on this.
    Actually when you use manual with flash, it is not exactly that manual. The iTTL flash will adjust the flash output too according to the metering. Try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    You can try DIYing a bounce card. Test it out... you will find that it helps greatly.

As for the LS, if I am not wrong, it comes with a tutorial CD. Not too sure, I don't own one. Maybe any LS owner can verify this.

Actually when you use manual with flash, it is not exactly that manual. The iTTL flash will adjust the flash output too according to the metering. Try it out.

yes, the LS comes with the cd but not very helpful.he doesnt tell u what to set or what to compensate.

so if i set my camera to manual, but the flash i leave it to iTTL rite?it will talk to the d200 and fire appropriately?

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast