Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: How to shoot banquet?

Default Re: how to shoot banquet?

jeanie,

when u are using manual, the metering system does not matter.

my table settings are usually the same as most of the advices here,

high ISO 800 for the background

45deg tilt with the flash and depending on the result,+1 or more..

straight on sometimes gives pretty good results.

i actually prefer the warm background tungsten light gives.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    cheese,thanks.

ya..in a public forum, you gets all sorts.you do the filtering. but generally, nice people do exists.(yes...in this forum)

nothing better to do?good.so be my photography sifu can?

ok, so the omnibounce is the rectangular plastic that comes with the sb.i leave that on all the time.cos i hate naked flash.it's simply too hard even if you decrease compensation.

i should have gotten the clear Lightsphere.the clouded one i notice tends to underex my pics, even if i use center weighted metering on the face.

catchlights, btw, your formula, what kind of metering you use?matrix or center?
    Generally Nikon 3D metrix metering II is already quite good enough for most situation.

Quote Originally Posted by kex View Post
    jeanie,

when u are using manual, the metering system does not matter.

my table settings are usually the same as most of the advices here,

high ISO 800 for the background

45deg tilt with the flash and depending on the result,+1 or more..

straight on sometimes gives pretty good results.

i actually prefer the warm background tungsten light gives.
    using Manual mode for DnD is a good way to control yr photos output, but dangerous when situation change... got to take note of yr surroundings happening.

*i'll switch to Manual mode after Aperture mode doesn't give me the mood of the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    using Manual mode for DnD is a good way to control yr photos output, but dangerous when situation change... got to take note of yr surroundings happening.

*i'll switch to Manual mode after Aperture mode doesn't give me the mood of the pics.
    for dinner part, should not have much problem, problems will come during the dancing part. With all the flashing light, when using A-mode with exposure lock, it can be dangerous too

CS roxxxxxxxxx becos of helpful members.

You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

my camera is set to centre weighted metering, cos I more used to this, just personal preference.

shooting wedding dinner, I use M mode on camera most of the time, the time to take noted about shutter speed is during the march in and cake cutting time, have to watch out for spot light that will overexpose your subjects.

when doing compensation, is doing the flash compensition.

==========
    OT, camera is just a tool, a good camera will not guarantee you will have good results, there was once, during a wedding dinner, when I still using D100, a photographer using a newly own D200, shooting the table shots "with" me (I didn't ask him, he just show up like that), using auto mode, no flash, just the 18~200 VR lens.

I'm too nice, should ask him go back to his table and sit down. don't come here to waste my time.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    my camera is set to centre weighted metering, cos I more used to this, just personal preference.

shooting wedding dinner, I use M mode on camera most of the time, the time to take noted about shutter speed is during the march in and cake cutting time, have to watch out for spot light that will overexpose your subjects.

==========
    OT, camera is just a tool, a good camera will not guarantee you will have good results, there was once, during a wedding dinner, when I still using D100, a photographer using a newly own D200, shooting the table shots "with" me (I didn't ask him, he just show up like that), using auto mode, no flash, just the 18~200 VR lens.

I'm too nice, should ask him go back to his table and sit down. don't come here to waste my time.

to all,

i dont yearn for PRO-like kind of photos.i shoot merely for fun.photography is really ONLY my hobby.

creaxion, i have a 17-35mm f2.8 but you know how heavy it is for a petite gal like me.
    hence, i brought my 'walkaround lens'.

i think i understand catchlight's formula.f5.6 for more DOF.so sitted and standing subjects are in focus.1/30s for camera to capture ambient lighting, so the entire picture wont stand out from a black background.am i rite?:embrass:
    please feel free to correct me.

whenever i ask ques, it's always the familiar nicks that gives me good advices.i really appreciate that.
    What is important u must understand how to compensate all the four values within the cam Aperture, Shutter, ISO, Flash. Once get the four values, nothing much can go wrong. I suggest u dun use Flash AWB. May look nice on screen but will be yellowish on photos. Anyone care to verify that cause my D70s and 30D produce such results

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by CreaXion View Post
    What is important u must understand how to compensate all the four values within the cam Aperture, Shutter, ISO, Flash. Once get the four values, nothing much can go wrong. I suggest u dun use Flash AWB. May look nice on screen but will be yellowish on photos. Anyone care to verify that cause my D70s and 30D produce such results
    for D200 AWB is almost very accurate..
    for D70s sometimes flashWB works better than AWB..it realli depends on the ambient lights..but if shooting raw, just put to AWB, adjustments can be easily made..

30D not sure because i'm not a Canon user..but my frens usually shoot 1 pic then set the color temperature accordingly..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Under incandescent lighting, AWB on Nikon cameras tend to be on the warmer side. Personally, I like it warm...

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    Under incandescent lighting, AWB on Nikon cameras tend to be on the warmer side. Personally, I like it warm...
    Sometimes, when too warm will affect skin colour. Tak Chantek.

30D fixed with Mertz flash or Nikon SB800 sure use sunlight or AWB. 30D fixed with Canon 580 depends liao.

cheese,no lah.when i have LS on, the omniibouncy thingy goes off

but still under lei!

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post

ok...next ques, when u use manual, do u use the exposure bar in your viewfinder to check if your settings will be over or under?or it doesnt matter since your flash will fire? care to elaborate?

u mean that photographer with D200 just follow u around without using flash?can meh?18mm at f3.5 also i dun think aperture big enough hor?!?unless he use H1.0 iso?=(iso 3200?)
    wat u mean by 'dont come here waste my time?'
    he just kaypo follow u to shoot niah rite?he didnt bother u rite?

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post

thanks for headsup.

so your MANUAL means camera manual or flash manual

my worry is when i shoot manual, then when situations change like you mention, i wont be fast enough to change back to aperture mode...unless i start familiarising with the controls now till the day of my DnD. when i ganjiong i like spider on fire wan.

ok...next ques, when u use manual, do u use the exposure bar in your viewfinder to check if your settings will be over or under?or it doesnt matter since your flash will fire? care to elaborate?

u mean that photographer with D200 just follow u around without using flash?can meh?18mm at f3.5 also i dun think aperture big enough hor?!?unless he use H1.0 iso?=(iso 3200?)
    I am a full manual user and I ignore the exposure bar completely especially when I hit indoor settings. It will be worse if u hit smoke. I usually take one or two shots to test the settings. Anyway after u shoot for a while, u will more or less know your settings.

I am not sure of the rest of the pp whether they use meter though. I only use the exposure bar when I take night or day scenery shots without the flash.

Quote Originally Posted by CreaXion View Post
    I am a full manual user and I ignore the exposure bar completely especially when I hit indoor settings. It will be worse if u hit smoke. I usually take one or two shots to test the settings. Anyway after u shoot for a while, u will more or less know your settings.

I am not sure of the rest of the pp whether they use meter though. I only use the exposure bar when I take night or day scenery shots without the flash.
    I will try it.thanks.
    but got a feeling as a newbie i should be more comfy with A priority.

i should have gotten a clear LS..aiyah

I will try it.thanks.

There is a new flash accessory - FLIP it. Run through this forum and u will see it.

I will try it.thanks.

I have never use A priorty before as I have always been on manual (forced by circumstances last time). According to some of my friends, A priority cannot give u correct readings in indoor settings. Anyone care to verify?

Blog Entries

Aperture priorty will give you the reading of the available light without flash
    in low light situations where the flash is the main source of light, it is better to use experience and M mode, aperture to control exposure of the flash, the shutter speed is to control how much ambient light is recorded.

when shooting banquet, most of the time the flash is your main light, using Manual Mode, you are able to control the brightness of the ambient lights, of course you need to monitor the exposure of ambient light.

Since the shots won't come out, why waste time following me go round almost all the tables (couple's guests tables) to take table shots, only slow down the whole process, beside, it is very rude to shoot side by side to a official photographer when doing a formal group photos, rising another camera during this situation is only causing distraction.

This a group photo taking, not a press conference, photographers please use common sense, don't wait till you get stop from taking photos by the official photographer.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast