Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: LCD Recommendation

  1. #1

    Default LCD Recommendation

    I went through the old thread on LCD recommendation and most of the recommended LCD is no longer exist in SLS ...

    Looking through the company website and brochure, can't even find out whether these monitors is 24bits or 18 bits.

    Do you guys have any experience on the following:
    1. Viewsonic VG2021m ($449)
    2. Viewsonic VA1912wb ($379)
    3. Viewsonic VE920m ($369)
    4. Samsung 940WB ($399)
    5. Samsung 931BF ($399)
    6. LG L1952T (DVI) ($399) - brochure say 16.7M colours (8bit)??
    7. LG L194WT ($399)
    8. Dell 1907FP ($439) - Promo last day is tomorrow ...

    Any other LCD screen that is 24bit that you can recommend?

    Some criteria that i have are
    1. Budget is <500
    2. Size 19inch (if possible wide).
    3. Use mostly for Photo editing (no video editing nor gaming/watching video)

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Eastcoast
    Posts
    560

    Default Re: LCD Recommendation

    samsung.

  3. #3

    Default Re: LCD Recommendation

    I am happy with my DELL 2007

  4. #4

    Default Re: LCD Recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by pingo View Post
    samsung.
    Samsung above are all 6 bits. Most monitors are 6 bits these days because they need to sacrifice colour for speed.

    LG is supposed to be 8 bits, but I don't like their design... and I dont' quite trust the brand.

    These 2 are 8 bits:
    You can try Viewsonic VX2025wm if you like widescreen.
    My personal favourite is the Philips 190P7EB.

    I have seen the difference between 8 and 6 bits at the shop. I think it's necessary to get 8 bits if you want to edit photos. It gives you finer colours. Else, you just get more contast in place of the colours that are 'missing'. Actually, most older LCDs are 8 bits, so if you have one of those, they will work fine. I have a old Philips 15" that's >40ms, but you don't need it to be fast if you're editing photos. You just need the representation to be good.

  5. #5

    Default Re: LCD Recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    Samsung above are all 6 bits. Most monitors are 6 bits these days because they need to sacrifice colour for speed.

    LG is supposed to be 8 bits, but I don't like their design... and I dont' quite trust the brand.

    These 2 are 8 bits:
    You can try Viewsonic VX2025wm if you like widescreen.
    My personal favourite is the Philips 190P7EB.

    I have seen the difference between 8 and 6 bits at the shop. I think it's necessary to get 8 bits if you want to edit photos. It gives you finer colours. Else, you just get more contast in place of the colours that are 'missing'. Actually, most older LCDs are 8 bits, so if you have one of those, they will work fine. I have a old Philips 15" that's >40ms, but you don't need it to be fast if you're editing photos. You just need the representation to be good.
    Any idea how much is the VX2025wm and Philips 190P7EB? I don't think i saw them in SLS .. Manage to check the LG specs and it is actually 6 bits not 8 bits as they put in the ads. Very misleading

  6. #6

    Default Re: LCD Recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by bangkuangz View Post
    Any idea how much is the VX2025wm and Philips 190P7EB? I don't think i saw them in SLS .. Manage to check the LG specs and it is actually 6 bits not 8 bits as they put in the ads. Very misleading
    The price lists at Hardwarezone says that the VX2025 is $569, while the 190P7EB is $629. I think they should have roughly the same number of pixels because one is wider, and the other is taller. 8 bit panels that runs at 8ms are not cheap... so the prices are higher. They are in SLS. Just need to go to the bigger shops. Not all shops carry them.

    I'm still waiting for the right moment. My old LCD monitor is still serving me fine... but when the price is right, I'll get a bigger one.

  7. #7

    Default Re: LCD Recommendation

    How do you check how many bits is the LCD? I trying to find out for Dell 2007FPW, not listed in their technical specs

  8. #8

    Default Re: LCD Recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    The price lists at Hardwarezone says that the VX2025 is $569, while the 190P7EB is $629. I think they should have roughly the same number of pixels because one is wider, and the other is taller. 8 bit panels that runs at 8ms are not cheap... so the prices are higher. They are in SLS. Just need to go to the bigger shops. Not all shops carry them.

    I'm still waiting for the right moment. My old LCD monitor is still serving me fine... but when the price is right, I'll get a bigger one.
    No wonder I did not "see" them .. their price is above my budget and I only focus for those below 500

    Anyway same question with Sonix, how do you guys know which one is 8 bits and which one is 6 bits? I don't think i need 8ms (as I dont intend to do gaming/watching movie) .. any recommendation of "slow" LCD with 8ms??? who knows they are cheaper

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    325

    Default Re: LCD Recommendation

    SAMSUNG 931BF indeed a good choice. You'll like it.

    Cheers

  10. #10

    Default Re: LCD Recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by sonix View Post
    How do you check how many bits is the LCD? I trying to find out for Dell 2007FPW, not listed in their technical specs
    Normally, they only say if it's 16.2m colours or 16.7 million colours. The extra 2 bits per channel will give you an extr 0.5m colours.

    If it's not listed, it's usually 6 bit. That's because 8-bit LCDs are usually more expensive, and they have to let you know what you are paying for.

    I think the Dell 2007FPW is an 8-bit LCD. I saw the information at the US site. However, it is expensive and it's 16ms.

    I have a budget too. But I am not willing to compromise. Which is why I am still waiting for the price to fall.
    Last edited by nottipiglet; 4th October 2006 at 09:33 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: LCD Recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    SAMSUNG 931BF indeed a good choice. You'll like it.

    Cheers
    I almost bought the Samsung 931BF... but unfortunately, I discovered that it is 6-bit. Normally, you won't know what you are missing until you see the monitors side-by-side, calibrated to similar standards. As I mentioned, the 6-bit looked more contrasty to me because of the missing shades. 6-bit does not mean it looks bad. It just means that there's just that little bit missing.

    931BF is great for gaming.

  12. #12
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: LCD Recommendation

    heard the warrenty or support for samsung not that good.

  13. #13

    Default Re: LCD Recommendation

    3 years warranty and first year on-site. What else can you ask for?

    So far I had sent my Samsung LCD back for repair twice. First time they did not remedied the problem correctly but fix it the second time (they had to change the entire circuit board). Plus, they apologised for the inconveniences that caused me. They gave me a limited edition Samsung goodie bag.

    Will I buy a Samsung LCD again? Of course, the colors of their LCD are beautiful.
    Last edited by photobum; 4th October 2006 at 10:09 PM.

  14. #14
    Member/Tangshooter zaxh81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,339

    Default Re: LCD Recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    3 years warranty and first year on-site. What else can you ask for?

    So far I had sent my Samsung LCD back for repair twice. First time they did not remedied the problem correctly but fix it the second time (they had to change the entire circuit board). Plus, they apologised for the inconveniences that caused me. They gave me a limited edition Samsung goodie bag.

    Will I buy a Samsung LCD again? Of course, the colors of their LCD are beautiful.
    Just checked it's first 2 years on site and 3rd year carry in.
    They only change/repair for you if unit has more than 7 dead pixels.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    sing a pore
    Posts
    307

    Default Re: LCD Recommendation

    how about philips 170x6?
    can know how many bits is there?
    it state 16m colors


    by the way what calibration tool u ppl use?
    thnks thnks

  16. #16

    Default Re: LCD Recommendation

    I think the Samsung 205BW is an 8 bit panel. Price is not too bad. About the same as the Viewsonic VX2025WM.

    I use the Spyder2 Express to calibrate my monitors.

    My only problem with Samsung monitors, is the dead pixel warranty. I'd pay a bit more if they can guarantee that there are no dead/white pixels for at least a year. Although dead pixels are rare, it really sucks if it happens to you.

    ... and for the people who ask if this model or that model is 8 bit, you need to check it yourself. Go get the specs. If it says 16.2m colours, it's 6 bits. If it says 16.7m colours, it's 8 bits. If they don't say anything, then it's probably 6 bits.

    ... and I don't agree that Samsung monitors have more beautiful colours than other brands. Calibration plays an important part.

  17. #17

    Default Re: LCD Recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by saraluna View Post
    how about philips 170x6?
    can know how many bits is there?
    it state 16m colors
    16m < 16.2m < 16.7m
    So... I don't know. But it's definitely not 8 bit.

  18. #18

    Default Re: LCD Recommendation

    I will recommend Sharp LCD and Samsung
    Last edited by alwayschampion; 9th October 2006 at 01:18 PM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: LCD Recommendation

    Samsung.

    They are considered almost the best in the screen business. It's a reason their phones sell so well.

  20. #20

    Default Re: LCD Recommendation

    Samsung 940BW is now at $369 and 205BW is $549.

    Some more comes with free SanDisk Ultra II SD Plus 512MB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •