Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Earphones, Earbuds and Headphones

Default Re: Earphones, Earbuds and Headphones

i coil my UM1 around my palm and store in the pouch provided
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Ballack View Post
    ya, i do browse on sgheadphones and having met many of them, i get to try out their different rigs and equipment. cool. klose, my apologies for starting you on another expensive hobby, but i guess, it's kinda hard to resist having heard the orpheus :X
    I just record them in 320kbps mp3s

expensive but i still thinking it's cheaper compared to having a shopaholic gf

Quote Originally Posted by Klose View Post
    I just record them in 320kbps mp3s

expensive but i still thinking it's cheaper compared to having a shopaholic gf
    Alamak. Majority of my stuff is burnt at 160 kbps! Unless I re-rip everything to 320 kbps. But that's going to take ages to do. May be near impossible for some songs too.

There's a question I wanted to ask. MP3 is considered a lossy format. Some info is lost during the rip. However, when I recreate a plain music CD (playable in any CD player) out of my MP3 files, the file size balloons back to it's original size (as it was from the original CD). Does that mean that all the sound quality and information is restored once MP3 are burnt into a music CD?

Quote Originally Posted by fWord View Post
    Alamak. Majority of my stuff is burnt at 160 kbps! Unless I re-rip everything to 320 kbps. But that's going to take ages to do. May be near impossible for some songs too.

There's a question I wanted to ask. MP3 is considered a lossy format. Some info is lost during the rip. However, when I recreate a plain music CD (playable in any CD player) out of my MP3 files, the file size balloons back to it's original size (as it was from the original CD). Does that mean that all the sound quality and information is restored once MP3 are burnt into a music CD?
    160 / 192 VBR .. still ok.

Sound quality will not be restored. What's lost is lost during the MP3 encoding/conversion.

For classical pieces with a wide dynamic range... you'll find that some portions have got this "watery" sound for 128kbps.

You have to understand what happens during compression. All compression is based on algorithms. Lossless formats do not discard any of the sampled audio, instead it reduces the file size by looking at what redundant data it can leave out (e.g. instead of storing a new sample in 16 bits, store the difference between 2 adjacent samples in 8 bits). Lossy formats, on the other hand, throw out a lot of information, some of it even before the sampling takes place (e.g. band limiting). Different lossy formats discard different information, based on something called a psycho-acoustic profile. These profiles are based on research into how humans actually hear. A simple example - when there is a loud sound, sounds softer than it by a certain amount may be 'masked' and inaudible, so the softer sounds are discarded.

During playback, decompression of the file takes place before you hear the audio. For lossless formats, since no information was discarded, the player is able to reconstruct the original sampled audio. For lossy formats like MP3 and AAC, the player will use the decoder to 'reconstruct' the audio as best as it can during the decompression. Discarded information is approximated if necessary. Most people can't tell the difference, especially if a high bit-rate is used (less information discarded).

yeah. let's go apple lossless. only 20-30mb per song. so small!

i walk around with an ATH-AD700 with EQ set at Spoken Words.
    strange stares but good sound quality

Sad to say SG Headphones went offline today but there's SG Audio -> CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Klose View Post
    Sad to say SG Headphones went offline today but there's SG Audio -> CLICK HERE
    Went offline as in no longer around or issues with hosting services?

Quote Originally Posted by davsmiths View Post
    Went offline as in no longer around or issues with hosting services?
    now only classifieds up..
    eat. drink. shoot

Yes, it's remarkably expensive stuff. The headphones itself is supposed to be already $12K, so it's anybody's guess how much the system really costs.
    The system was sold with 1 pair of HE-90 'headphones' and the amplifier at US$15k. 300 sets were handbuilt. The HE-90's are not limited editions though. Thus, the extra output on the amplifier for a 2nd pair of HE-90's.

There are 2 sets of Orpheus in Singapore. One's with Senn and the other is with an unknown private buyer.

IMO, buying the HE-90 is a better bet than buying the Orpheus. Senn's electrostatic amps.. Well.. All I can say is that a much better job can be done.. Having heard the Baby O' as well..

The quality of the amp for the Baby O' was abysmal. Inaccurate volume tracking up to mid-volumes.. They serious gotta do something about it man...

Quote Originally Posted by dEthANGeL View Post
    Currently looking around for a pair of earphones as well (my Sony E888 can't be used as its using microplug - unless i can find the darn converter) ... The E888 is great but they're alittle too bright for my liking. I'm not really a fan of "canal" phones ... due to hygiene issues (yes i do dig my ears), but plus point is the noise isolation.
    The MDR-E888LP's are a funny pair..
    Without the foam, they sound bright.. With the foam, they sound veiled.
    But pair them up with a full-fledge headphone amplifier (not those portable units) and the sonic signature changes entirely. IMO, they sound darn good once you have them amped. But it defeats the purpose of buying earbuds during then..

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    There are 2 sets of Orpheus in Singapore. One's with Senn and the other is with an unknown private buyer.
    there's one set at Jaben Network..
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    there's one set at Jaben Network..
    Wilson got to borrow that set off Senn. No one knows who the private buyer is as yet.

i am using the Senn HD215 and 250....

very good i musst say.....

and yeah. mp3 formats very important also. but nevertheless its important to consider the source. issit coming from a cd or dvda....

digital recording has some distortions. so yet again. cant be avoided..

sgheadphones is back. yay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballack View Post
    sgheadphones is back. yay.
    Almost.. The Lizards Lounge is still offline because the brunts are there. I expect some censorship to take place before it returns.

Too lazy to find out what's happening from the Admin and Moderating team either.

anyone can recommend me a good pair of canal earphones ~$50?
    requirements: able to strike a balance between bass and treble cos it'd be used to listen to mostly classical and pop music, sometimes rock bands
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    anyone can recommend me a good pair of canal earphones ~$50?
    requirements: able to strike a balance between bass and treble cos it'd be used to listen to mostly classical and pop music, sometimes rock bands
    Senn.... the one which is was given away as free gift for the new Nano is good... tested it and it was good enough as a Senn earphone..

its around $25.

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    Senn.... the one which is was given away as free gift for the new Nano is good... tested it and it was good enough as a Senn earphone..

its around $25.
    erm..model?
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post

its around $25.
    ??? sennheiser cooperated with apple??? nvr heard of that. To what i know sennheisers partner in asia for headphones had been i river. But i personally feel their mx 400 and 500 are good. Also i LOVE their new sports range superb sound for their type, but their style range, haizz......
    Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 25678912 ... LastLast