Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2710111213 LastLast

Thread: Earphones, Earbuds and Headphones

Default Re: Earphones, Earbuds and Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by fWord View Post
    Wow, this thread is still alive! Recently I started thinking casually about buying an amp. So, can a good one actually be bought for under $100? Do amps really make a big difference to sound? I'm still listing to a simple setup...CK-7 on an iRiver H320.
    anyway, budget ones include LDM (~S$60) and PA2V2 (US$60)..
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by raptor84 View Post
    Haha yea kenna poisoned laio...
    ya lor....luckily i'm intending to stop here for now..
    eat. drink. shoot

+evenstar: Alamak...time to BBB again! The models that you recommended seem quite inexpensive, but I just wonder if they're any good. That said, I'll probably need to have a listen before I can really tell for sure.

Klose: True, true. And in the end I'll probably lust for more anyway. Good news is that listening to music isn't exactly a hobby to me the way photography is. I simply listen to it while commuting on public transport or when walking from point to point. However I do pay attention to the quality of the music that I hear. Sometimes I even opt to plug into my MP3 player at home rather than listen from speakers. Hmm, are those photos of the X-1?

raptor84: Yes, that's a good point. I've found the sound stage of the CK-7 to be rather narrow, even compared to the other 'phones that I listened to at Jaben. At that time the sound didn't seem so 'full', or there was less of a surround effect. The CK-7 is incredible for clarity and balanced out with bass too. It just occured to me that by taking the CK-7 over the UE-3 (which I also liked a lot), I saved myself about $60...which I can now plough into an amp. The CK-7 didn't have the nice bass that the UE-3 had, but I preferred the extra clarity. Nowadays I simply adjust the equalizer of my MP3 player to compromise, but that's just artificial.

Klose: True, true. And in the end I'll probably lust for more anyway. Good news is that listening to music isn't exactly a hobby to me the way photography is. I simply listen to it while commuting on public transport or when walking from point to point. However I do pay attention to the quality of the music that I hear. Sometimes I even opt to plug into my MP3 player at home rather than listen from speakers. Hmm, are those photos of the X-1?
    It's the X-1. Stocks will in on Wed again... Get it while stocks last

+evenstar: Alamak...time to BBB again! The models that you recommended seem quite inexpensive, but I just wonder if they're any good. That said, I'll probably need to have a listen before I can really tell for sure.

raptor84: Yes, that's a good point. I've found the sound stage of the CK-7 to be rather narrow, even compared to the other 'phones that I listened to at Jaben. At that time the sound didn't seem so 'full', or there was less of a surround effect. The CK-7 is incredible for clarity and balanced out with bass too. It just occured to me that by taking the CK-7 over the UE-3 (which I also liked a lot), I saved myself about $60...which I can now plough into an amp. The CK-7 didn't have the nice bass that the UE-3 had, but I preferred the extra clarity. Nowadays I simply adjust the equalizer of my MP3 player to compromise, but that's just artificial.
    if u're interested, i can let go of my PA2V2 to you...
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    if u're interested, i can let go of my PA2V2 to you...
    Heheh...thanks. Any indication as to how much that would go for? Trouble here is that I don't even know what to buy. I've landed in the same situation as when I was shopping for headphones. Now I am clearing out some of my unused photog stuff...might be able to raise enough for an amp. Either that or I'll drop it straight into savings and see when the next gadget comes along.

Audition the govibes or x-1. The govibes are more transparent and neutral than the x-1 which as mentioned before enances the bass a little more than the rest. Both are around the $130+ range.

A plus point for the X-1 is the looong battery life (about 20 hours) and the internal Li-ion batt... You cas see my buy here.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Quote Originally Posted by raptor84 View Post
    Audition the govibes or x-1. The govibes are more transparent and neutral than the x-1 which as mentioned before enances the bass a little more than the rest. Both are around the $130+ range.

A plus point for the X-1 is the looong battery life (about 20 hours) and the internal Li-ion batt... You cas see my buy here.
    Thanks. Hope they allow a choice of colours too. Blue's my favourite colour, but I'll look into others as well...not too important though, since most of the time it might be hidden in a pouch somewhere.

In the end I might need something that enhances bass slightly and maybe also mids...hope this would complement the very 'treble' or analytical nature of the CK-7. A wider soundstage is also nice to have.

I suppose another thing I should mention is the type of music I listen to...this was itself probably crucial in the choice of headphones in the past. Primarily I am a Bossa Nova and Jazz listener, slow stuff, but this music really benefits from the use of phones with great clarity. It then allows me to hear things such as the guitar, piano and vocals with detail. Though I am not into the bass-heavy stuff like techno, trance, house, or even things like metal, rock...I still appreciate a degree of bass. There's always a little in Bossa Nova and Jazz, which gives music a 'presence'.

Before buying over the CK-7 in the past, I actually really appreciated the sound of the Etymotic, but found the bass just a tad recessed. All it needed was a little more bass response and I would have taken it.

just spent $46 changing the sponge for my senn HD590 today...
    eat. drink. shoot

Eh btw, where to get Beyer here? I know the shop used to be at Selegie area where is it located at now. Thinking of either 770, 880 or 990.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Eh btw, where to get Beyer here? I know the shop used to be at Selegie area where is it located at now. Thinking of either 770, 880 or 990.

Jaben.

Hmmphh...called Jaben today and the day before. Looks like the X-1 is still not in.

Anyone using RSA amps?

Just checked that Westone coming out with Westone 3. It'd be quite interesting to see how it competes wotj E500 and SF 10.

I use the HD200 but found the treble quite sharp and metallic. Used to have the expensive HD540 reference back 12 years ago and it sounded even screechy. Wonder if all senn headphones are the same.

I think the HD650 is not that treble oriented.

That's really cheap. Can PM me where u bot the sponge?
    Are they real Senns sponge?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I think the HD650 is not that treble oriented.
    I think the HD580, 600 and 650 are all very similar. I need to listen very carefully to tell the difference, so I got the HD580 (not available in Singapore). Got it at Amazon and shipped it over via VPost.

But these headphones need a good amp. They are very power hungry. Personally, I use the Creative X-Fi Platinum to power my HD580. It's quite adequate for me because my ears are very sensitive.

I listen to mostly classical and jazz... so I need the instruments to sound as they are. People who complain that these lack bass are usually the pop, rock, heavy metal listeners who want the bass artificially cranked up (because there is no natural benchmark for these synthesised sounds).

So, for my type of listening, the Xi-Fi Platinum and the HD580 serve me rather well.

The HD650 is not treble nor base oriented. In fact, they are not oriented in any way. They are natural sounding... which is what I like about these headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by nottipiglet View Post
    That's really cheap. Can PM me where u bot the sponge?
    Are they real Senns sponge?
    1 thing i'm sure, i didn't use a computer program to create the sponge "bots".

So there is a lot of earphones better than Sennheiser CX-300 ??

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2710111213 LastLast