Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast

Thread: The Flip-it!

Default Re: The Flip-it!

All the following were taken with the Nikon D200 with the SB-800 + Demb Flip-It Pro in various configurations.

70-200VR @ 1/60s 200mm f/2.8 ISO400
    I had the front diffusion panel on here with the bounce card at 90deg. Somewhat white and low ceilings with nasty fluorescent lights on them. White balance was set manually with the ExpoDisc by firing the flash with the Flip-It + diffuser on it directly into the ceiling.

70-200VR @ 1/60s 70mm f/2.8 ISO400
    High ceilings here with the reflector tilted slightly back. Same WB tactic as above.

18-200VR @ 1/60s 35mm f/4.2 ISO400
    Medium ceiling here. I only made use of the front diffuser without the reflector for this shot to ensure the background balances well. This was auto WB or Daylight -1.

18-200VR @ 1/60s 18mm f/5 ISO400
    Group shot with the same flash orientation and WB settings as above. Starts to get tricky here as the people in front have their faces overexposed a tad. If there were more space I would have them lined up more in a straight line.

18-200VR @ 1/400s 50mm f/4.8 ISO100
    Diffuser panel on here with the bounce card at 45deg. In this shot I'm fighting the harsh contrast created by direct sunlight. It was bright enough that the flash went off at FP sync instead of X-Sync (The limit on the D200 is 1/250s). Using flash to fill in details. I think I stopped the flash down -1EV or something. Can't seem to retrieve the full EXIF data in Picasa or Adobe Bridge. WB set manually with the ExpoDisc against the direct sunlight.

And in situations where I have much more control over the lighting:

Overall I've very impressed with the Demb flash diffusion system. I've been using the Gary Fong Lightsphere II Cloud for about 8 months prior to this, and it's great when I want to light up the whole room but it doesn't give me enough control over the light. Also logistically the Demb reflector & diffuser fold up very nicely and don't take up a lot of room in my bag. The Lightsphere is also pretty weighty puts a bit too much torque on the flash than I am comfortable with.

Price wise we're also talking about US$30 (Demb Pro) vs US$50 (LS II). Ultimately I would say flash is one of the more challenging aspects of photography and very difficult to get right. I don't get to preview the effect of flash until after the picture is taken. Flash pulse preview doesn't count as it doesn't match the intensity of the actual flash.

I'm still scratching the surface with the Demb Pro and I'll probably experiment with it's directional lighting capabilities next time when I've got something indoors to play with.
    Last edited by RailGun; 20th June 2007 at 04:54 AM.

Nice to see that they are all working well for ya'll!!
    Budget wedding photographer :)

my flip it looks different from others featured on both here and the Demp website.
    how do you adjust it? it seems that the 2 pieces are not riveted properly, like a little out of sync.
    i cant position it to achieve the "wide spread" look cos of the rivets.
    wondering if it will affect the flash dispersion in this case.

on the left is mine, right side is the one as advertised.
    any idea if it is suppose to be like this?
    thanks
    Last edited by codling; 4th July 2007 at 02:50 AM. Reason: updated pic
    too many shots...

Seems to be out of stock on PPCP. Anywhere else selling this?
    My Photoblog
    350D+Kit Lens+17-55mm f2.8IS

vince123123
    Guests

Maybe its better to post a side by side comparison with the official pictuers.

Quote Originally Posted by codling View Post
    my flip it looks different from others featured on both here and the Demp website.
    how do you adjust it? it seems that the 2 pieces are not riveted properly, like a little out of sync.

thanks

I will also like to get a Flip-It! Pro Jumbo but it is still out of stock...

A new shipment of 50 Jumbo's coming in next week Just to let u guys know

Also... the "Pro Standard" is almost the same size as the Jumbo and many ppl are getting it

This is indeed great news Can't wait to get one but will the price for the Pro Jumbo still be $61.90 for the new shipment?

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Maybe its better to post a side by side comparison with the official pictuers.
    taken your suggestion. have edit my post with the comparision pic.
    too many shots...

vince123123
    Guests

The only difference i can see is the factory pic has the two diffusion layers more clearly separated...is this what you are referring to?

taken your suggestion. have edit my post with the comparision pic.

on the left is mine, right side is the one as advertised.
    thanks
    I'm pretty sure it's fine. Mine is the same as yours and the dude who introduced the DFB Pro to me has his looking pretty much the same. The flash diffuses fine in either case, through I prefer bouncing whenever possible for the softest light.
    Last edited by RailGun; 4th July 2007 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    The only difference i can see is the factory pic has the two diffusion layers more clearly separated...is this what you are referring to?
    ya, that is what i meant.
    but since Railgun has mentioned that it is the norm, then i guess its ok.
    too many shots...

vince123123
    Guests

So that means their production unit differs from the marketing unit? That seems to be a rather serious issue.

Hi Vince, the production unit and the marketing unit does not differ. Simply pull the first layer down before sticking it onto the velcro strip

Quote Originally Posted by ParkertR View Post
    Hi Vince, the production unit and the marketing unit does not differ. Simply pull the first layer down before sticking it onto the velcro strip
    but i still cant seem to get it to look like in the pic.
    it is riveted at both corners, i dont know how to "pull" the first layer down and making it stay down.
    too many shots...

but i still cant seem to get it to look like in the pic.
    it is riveted at both corners, i dont know how to "pull" the first layer down and making it stay down.
    Try aligned the inner layer straight up as shown in the advertised.

Will the flip-it fit a hammerhead flash like the Metz 60 CT4?
    Work: PicasaWeb | Play: Animus3 | Mobile: Tumblr

is there a significant difference in the jumbo size and the standard size flip-it?
    seems like the jumbo is only slightly bigger, it will only make a slight difference in power right?
    btw, with flip-it on, any user can give a rough estimation how far the flash can reach (and with which model flashgun)?

thx guys, kinda interested in this
    Photo Album - Photo Album

anyone with flip-it can answer the question above?
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast