Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Triggering Infra-Red laser

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default Triggering Infra-Red laser

    I was using my SB24 Nikon Speedlight with my nikon F601 in TTL mode when i realise that when it gets too dark, the flash will assist with a red "laser" marking on the subject.

    Question is, can the laser be triggered in any other way when it is coupled with a Fuji S602 when the SB24 is set to Auto mode?

    Because if that is possible, then the low light AF will be a non issue already...

    Anyone can shed any light (pun un-intended) on this?
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  2. #2

    Default Re: Triggering Infra-Red laser

    Originally posted by Wolfgang
    I was using my SB24 Nikon Speedlight with my nikon F601 in TTL mode when i realise that when it gets too dark, the flash will assist with a red "laser" marking on the subject.

    Question is, can the laser be triggered in any other way when it is coupled with a Fuji S602 when the SB24 is set to Auto mode?

    Because if that is possible, then the low light AF will be a non issue already...

    Anyone can shed any light (pun un-intended) on this?
    Read b4 someone modified the canon speedlights to use manual switches for the AF lamp. Maybe u can try doing the same?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Triggering Infra-Red laser

    You cannot, unless you do a mean modification to both camera and flash. Think about it.

  4. #4

    Default

    An alternative would be to use an "always-on" light source such as an LED torch. But can be very bright and irritating (like the D30 AF assist light!).

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    Furthermore, the focus assist illumination from the SB24 may not work well for digicams, even though it works well for AF SLRs.

    This experiment may be good to try. Under low light conditions which the digicam is unable to focus on the subject, use the SB24+F601 combo, aim at the same subject and trigger the focus assist lamp by half-pressing the shutter release button. Then, see if the digicam can focus on the subject (with the AF assist illumination from the SB24). The digicam and the F601 should be as clse to each other as possible, and you may need the help of another person to conduct this experiment.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: Triggering Infra-Red laser

    Originally posted by Wolfgang
    I was using my SB24 Nikon Speedlight with my nikon F601 in TTL mode when i realise that when it gets too dark, the flash will assist with a red "laser" marking on the subject.

    Question is, can the laser be triggered in any other way when it is coupled with a Fuji S602 when the SB24 is set to Auto mode?

    Because if that is possible, then the low light AF will be a non issue already...

    Anyone can shed any light (pun un-intended) on this?
    Yeah, like YS said, you need to modify both the flash and camera. The IR assist is triggered by one of the pins below by sending a special signal to the flash. Long ago, someone modded a SB22 to have an ext. switch to turn on the IR thing....

    Regards
    CK

  7. #7

    Default Re: Re: Triggering Infra-Red laser

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Yeah, like YS said, you need to modify both the flash and camera. The IR assist is triggered by one of the pins below by sending a special signal to the flash. Long ago, someone modded a SB22 to have an ext. switch to turn on the IR thing....

    Regards
    CK
    Got interested by the idea and went digging for info in dpreview.

    -quote-
    So I found out if you place 1.5 v across the below pins I could get the AF to turn on

    Side Contact (5) <------
    ~
    - +
    ***
    ~ -
    ~
    Back AF Pin (4) <-------


    Upside down View of Flash.

    Front Lens
    ------------
    ~ 1 ~
    ~ 2 ~ <side contact 5
    ~ 3 4 ~
    ------------
    Back

    BTW The flash will stay on as long as current is in place!
    -quote-

    I understand that there are some connectors u place on the hot shoe to use a external flash apart from the camera. Can such a connector be modified with flip switch to toggle a 1.5v current on and off?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Anyone who is good in electronics keen on helping me with this lil project?
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    good idea...if i can do the same for my 550EX, then i no need to get the expensive Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 just for AF assist
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Originally posted by Wai
    good idea...if i can do the same for my 550EX, then i no need to get the expensive Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 just for AF assist
    Hmmmmmmm... anyone? I am really not at all handy with circuits and electronics...
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  11. #11

    Default

    Originally posted by Wai
    good idea...if i can do the same for my 550EX, then i no need to get the expensive Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 just for AF assist
    If I'm not wrong there IS a way to use the 550EX just for AF assist without triggering the flash (but not the 420EX). IIRC you set the 550EX to TTL mode. The AF assist will function, but the flash will not fire.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    South Pole with Penguin
    Posts
    5,270

    Default

    Originally posted by StreetShooter


    If I'm not wrong there IS a way to use the 550EX just for AF assist without triggering the flash (but not the 420EX). IIRC you set the 550EX to TTL mode. The AF assist will function, but the flash will not fire.
    i have not tried that yet....what is IIRC??

    but i know for D60 (or other model except D30) , there is an option under custom function for you to disable the flash...but the AF assist lamp will still funciton
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    IIRC = If I remember correctly?
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    6,405

    Default

    Originally posted by Wolfgang
    Anyone who is good in electronics keen on helping me with this lil project?
    Don't spoil the flash lar. Use the thing on your F601 and enjoy all the features.

    Regards
    CK

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Originally posted by ckiang


    Don't spoil the flash lar. Use the thing on your F601 and enjoy all the features.

    Regards
    CK
    Hmmmmm.. yah hor.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    L2TPYSG
    Posts
    4,057

    Default

    Originally posted by StreetShooter


    If I'm not wrong there IS a way to use the 550EX just for AF assist without triggering the flash (but not the 420EX). IIRC you set the 550EX to TTL mode. The AF assist will function, but the flash will not fire.
    iirc too, u can set that..
    why not refer to the famous canon flasher faq?
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •