Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

    sorry mistake

    focal lenght 40

    but i think it is limited due to the P&S i am using
    Last edited by GilbertGoh; 1st October 2006 at 08:43 PM.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by GilbertGoh View Post
    sorry mistake

    focal lenght 40
    erm... 40?
    still don understand

    do note that 40mm of compact cam is tele for a dSLR/SLR...
    you will have to calculate it in terms of 35mm equiv

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by GilbertGoh View Post
    I have playing with P&S cam for some thing already.
    Canon Ixus 50
    Fugifilm Z2

    i am thinking of upgrading.

    think of geting

    nikon d80
    with
    tamron 17-50/f2.8
    or
    nikon
    18-200VR
    any 12-24

    thinking of getting flash and tripod and flash later.
    if there are better combination plz feel free to share or advice me.

    thanks in advice.
    haha... i was like u ! go for it !

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

    used 40 times at focal lenght 40
    second highest is at 110

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    haha... i was like u ! go for it !
    thanks for the encouragement, but which would you advice?

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by GilbertGoh View Post
    used 40 times at focal lenght 40
    second highest is at 110
    if thats the case, i think all the lens listed should be pretty alright.
    of cos 18-200 got the huge edge in terms of focal length... so now the deciding factor lies with it you need the f2.8 or not...
    Last edited by ExplorerZ; 1st October 2006 at 09:03 PM.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

    could i ask what id F*.* actually for?? i sometime get lost about it.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

    You seem to have a long and expensive list of things to buy for your first ever DSLR. By the way, what exactly is your budget range?

    Quote Originally Posted by GilbertGoh View Post
    i am thinking of upgrading.

    think of geting

    nikon d80
    with
    tamron 17-50/f2.8
    or
    nikon
    18-200VR
    any 12-24

    thinking of getting flash and tripod and flash later.
    "A teacher is never late; he arrives precisely when he means to."

  9. #29

    Default Re: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by GilbertGoh View Post
    could i ask what id F*.* actually for?? i sometime get lost about it.
    This "F" factor determines the size of the aperature opening in your lens.

    The smaller the "F" number (eg. F2.8), the bigger the aperature opening and more light can reach the photosensor in a shorter time (faster shuttle speed) ....

    The larger the "F" number (eg. F22), the smaller the opening and less light can reach the photosensor and thus requiring a longer time (slower shuttle speed) ....

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

    Well, said. Upz to Edward77
    "A teacher is never late; he arrives precisely when he means to."

  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Borneo
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

    Hi! I'm also a newbie like you who got same question like u few weeks away.
    I even pm a few veteran here like westwest1 to get opinion.
    I jz got my D70s yesterday and here's some personal conclusion I get after play with my new toy for whole night-

    Like someone had mentioned, better play with the kit lens frst before buy, so that you know what lens u want. (either like to zoom zoom and zoom like me)

    If you like to take photos indoor, during party or banquet, probably you may wan to consider to buy ur flash first. My D70s seems to be lifeless without SB800.

    Haha, jz a haring of some new experince from a newbie. And one more thing, wow man! There's so much new thing to learn with DSLR!! Totally a different world compared to P&S!!!

  12. #32
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    707

    Default Re: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by rhealk View Post
    Hi! I'm also a newbie like you who got same question like u few weeks away.
    I even pm a few veteran here like westwest1 to get opinion.
    I jz got my D70s yesterday and here's some personal conclusion I get after play with my new toy for whole night-

    Like someone had mentioned, better play with the kit lens frst before buy, so that you know what lens u want. (either like to zoom zoom and zoom like me)

    If you like to take photos indoor, during party or banquet, probably you may wan to consider to buy ur flash first. My D70s seems to be lifeless without SB800.

    Haha, jz a haring of some new experince from a newbie. And one more thing, wow man! There's so much new thing to learn with DSLR!! Totally a different world compared to P&S!!!
    P&S u will NEVER know what's call the trinity lens cos u can't even change out ur lens...

  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

    well, i do not really have a budget. i buy what i think i need. if needed can use credit installment. i think the things i list the 2 combination are around 2-3K. I guess that would be my budget for now.( Cannot let gf know i am going to buy or she will kill me )

    about flash.
    i myself do not like to have the flash in my eyes, so i try not to use on others. i think that there are setting that can over come the need for flash for now.
    please advice.

    btw edward77 thanks for the information bro.

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Borneo
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Yawoo View Post
    P&S u will NEVER know what's call the trinity lens cos u can't even change out ur lens...
    ya ya... wow, now it's a real challenge to take photos with DSLR!
    All the technical term will start to haunt you...

  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Borneo
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by GilbertGoh View Post
    well, i do not really have a budget. i buy what i think i need. if needed can use credit installment. i think the things i list the 2 combination are around 2-3K. I guess that would be my budget for now.( Cannot let gf know i am going to buy or she will kill me )

    about flash.
    i myself do not like to have the flash in my eyes, so i try not to use on others. i think that there are setting that can over come the need for flash for now.
    please advice.

    btw edward77 thanks for the information bro.
    Jz 'killed' by my family last night when show them ny new toy..
    Any as far as I know you can't really avoid flash.. esp indoor and in big hall...

  16. #36

    Default Re: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by GilbertGoh View Post
    well, i do not really have a budget. i buy what i think i need. if needed can use credit installment. i think the things i list the 2 combination are around 2-3K. I guess that would be my budget for now.( Cannot let gf know i am going to buy or she will kill me )

    about flash.
    i myself do not like to have the flash in my eyes, so i try not to use on others. i think that there are setting that can over come the need for flash for now.
    please advice.

    btw edward77 thanks for the information bro.
    No problem at all ... glad to be able to help.
    By the way, I wouldn't encourage credit installment ....
    Save and buy what you can afford .... even if it takes a little longer.
    Meanwhile, read up to gain more knowledge .... patience bro.
    Credit installment may make you lose sight of the amount you already owe.
    Just my opionion ...

  17. #37
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by GilbertGoh View Post
    Cannot let gf know i am going to buy or she will kill me )
    then you better buy now before she becomes your wife

    also since you do not like to use flash, i'd suggest a fast lens with VR

  18. #38
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by Edward77 View Post
    No problem at all ... glad to be able to help.
    By the way, I wouldn't encourage credit installment ....
    Save and buy what you can afford .... even if it takes a little longer.
    Meanwhile, read up to gain more knowledge .... patience bro.
    Credit installment may make you lose sight of the amount you already owe.
    Just my opionion ...
    good point. i will take note of this.

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by rhealk View Post
    Jz 'killed' by my family last night when show them ny new toy..
    Any as far as I know you can't really avoid flash.. esp indoor and in big hall...
    hahahahaha bro i feel your "death".
    i thinking of a way to hide it till a good time

  20. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    AMK, Singapore
    Posts
    527

    Default Re: Think of upgrade to DSLR. Advice Needed

    Quote Originally Posted by GilbertGoh View Post
    could i ask what id F*.* actually for?? i sometime get lost about it.
    Bro, with questions like this..... i wonder if u are ready for a DSLR..

    As some mentioned, u seem to have a long list of expensive items, but yet appear to be a relatively newbie in the technicalities of photography (even though u have used p&s extensively).

    Imho, if u are really serious about getting a DSLR, start with a body and 1 lens first. Learn to use it well and then decide which other lens (if any) would allow you to extend your area of photography interest.

    And if u can't afford to pay cash.. better off not to buy so much first..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •