Thread: Why cats make great models for photographers

Default Why cats make great models for photographers

Been wondering why people like to take pictures of cats, especially those testing out a new camera. It's not just here on Clubsnap, but also on dpreview and many other forums. Here are a few reasons I've come up with. Feel free to add more.

1. They're good looking.
    2. The whiskers provide great contrast lines for getting autofocus spot-on. You simply can't take an out-of-focus picture of a cat.
    3. They don't move much, so you never worry about motion blur.
    4. They're patient subjects, just sitting or standing there gazing placidly at you.
    5. They're everywhere and you don't need them to sign a model release.

Default Re: Why cats make great models for photographers

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter View Post
    1. They're good looking.
    2. The whiskers provide great contrast lines for getting autofocus spot-on. You simply can't take an out-of-focus picture of a cat.
    4. They're patient subjects, just sitting or standing there gazing placidly at you.
    1. Cant argue with that but I'm still more of a dog person. Just dont know enough friends who keep dogs to let me practice on

2. Well sometimes when my DOF is too think i can get one eye OOF...

3. See my thread on the hot young pussy. That cat dosent keep still

4. Same as above. The only time that cat will stare at you if she is about to pounce.

5.Quite true but somee times i need to owner to sign model release =p

Its always more fun to take pics of dogs for me though..
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Been wondering why people like to take pictures of cats, especially those testing out a new camera. It's not just here on Clubsnap, but also on dpreview and many other forums. Here are a few reasons I've come up with. Feel free to add more.

1. They're good looking.
    Hmm...

1. Hell Yeah!

2. Disagree big time. I hate it when focus is on whiskers and the eyes are blur. Esp when i'm shooting at f/2.8 or f/2 and every mm of DoF counts. Might not count when pple are testing cams at f/8.

3. It depends. My C-AF isn't reliable so sometimes I prefer that they don't move. But when they don't move they scratch themselves alot. Sigh... why is the world like that.

4. Generally yes. But just wait till the auntie with the food comes. Then they dun give a damn about you. Even if you run screaming at them (i've tried) they just look at you and go back to eating.

5. Yup! Never bothered about model releases cos they're strays, though I do buy tuna for them when I can afford it. Always get the water-based ones... the oil-based ones are hell to clean up after that.

6. They look like intelligent beings. Each one has its own personality, likes, dislikes, habits and stuff. No offense to doglovers, but somehow I think the look of a panting dog (mouth open, tongue rolling out, eyes blank) doesn't engender a feeling of intelligence in me. I do love siberian huskies though, they have this "sharp" look about them.

Talking Re: Why cats make great models for photographers

1. They're good looking.
    1. Yes they are indeed good-looking
    2. Not necessarily true as the others have pointed out, depends on how you take the pic
    3. Again not necessarily true for my two cats, sometimes they are on "stoned" mode and at other times they are on "steroid" mode so getting them to stay still can be quite a challenge
    4. As above, but my "mother" cat is generally more cool and non chalant about her surroundings whereas the smaller one is like always ready to swipe at my camera
    5. Yeah I give the approval

OT abit
    That day I watched the channel U report on pple who kill the cats .. Damn #$#^%*%^!$$

cats are very laid back and can lay sleeping or looking out the windows for hours at times. esp when they are staring out of the windows, great for window portraits.

also, their fine fur is great to test lens sharpness. focus at the eye and if you can count the fur around it, that is one sharp lens already. and no focus error cos a cat's face is quite elongated.

lastly, when they sleep, they have all kinds of poses and if they dont, you can flip them here/there they will still continue sleeping.

most of all...it is very easy to get their attention

model for my 70-200vr shot at 1/40 handheld.
    Last edited by surge; 3rd October 2006 at 06:22 PM.