Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to find Teflon or silicone coating lubricant?

Default Where to find Teflon or silicone coating lubricant?

Hello everyone,

May I know where can I find Teflon or silicone coating lubricant? I need it to apply it on my ball head. It is mentioned that NO oil or grease based lubricant products be used as it will attract dirt, which will clog the movements.

TIA for all the replies.

Default Re: Where to find Teflon or silicone coating lubricant?

You can get them from hi-end bicycle shop. There are several brands that use Teflon.

The brand "Elmar" (yes, a popular glue brand in the US) makes Teflon powdered lubricant. Meaning, once it contacts with air, it turns into fine powder. Thus does not attract dirt and can be clean easily.
    Last edited by photobum; 1st October 2006 at 08:13 AM.

Scuba diving centers also carry silicone sprays which are used to protect dive equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    You can get them from hi-end bicycle shop. There are several brands that use Teflon.

The brand "Elmar" (yes, a popular glue brand in the US) makes Teflon powdered lubricant. Meaning, once it contacts with air, it turns into fine powder. Thus does not attract dirt and can be clean easily.
    Thanks for the pointer photobum. By the way, I don't suppose that you know where I can find a hi-end bicycle shop in Tampines?

Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    Scuba diving centers also carry silicone sprays which are used to protect dive equipment.
    Thanks for the info, Terence.

UPDATE: Eventually bought this-

Bought from Tay Cycle in Tampines. ($10) SCH nearby was selling it for $12.50.

Tried it on the ball head already. The lubricant dries up to form a layer. Ball head movement is OK.
    Last edited by Canew; 4th October 2006 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Typo correction.

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    UPDATE: Eventually bought this-

Bought from Tay Cycle in Tampines. ($10) SCH nearby was sellinh it at $12.50.

Tried it on the ball head already. The lubricant dries up to form a layer. Ball head movement is OK.
    I'm also looking for somethin like that... what block is Tay Cycle?
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

If you guys are looking for a very high specification dry lubrication, I recommend MOLY LUBE DRY FILM LUBRICANT by Birchwood Casey.

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html

It's actually designed for firearms and airguns where very high lubrication is needed. It comes in rapid drying cleaning/degreasing carrier and dries very rapidly to form a dry coating of Moly.

Err...not sure about the chemical properties, but i believe that Moly (Molybdenum Dislufide) is one of the slickest elements know to man. It it also commonly used in high performance racing, marine and industrial applications where other lubes fail. I believe it's much higher specified/more effective than teflon or silicon lubes.

You can get this from Chye Watt Seng which is a gun shop on the 2nd floor of Golden Mile Complex for about $12 - $15. Call first to check for availability and operation hours.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    I'm also looking for somethin like that... what block is Tay Cycle?
    Bro CYRN, here is the address of Tay Cycle: Blk 139, Tampines St 11, #01-40.

Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau View Post
    If you guys are looking for a very high specification dry lubrication, I recommend MOLY LUBE DRY FILM LUBRICANT by Birchwood Casey.

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html

It's actually designed for firearms and airguns where very high lubrication is needed. It comes in rapid drying cleaning/degreasing carrier and dries very rapidly to form a dry coating of Moly.

Err...not sure about the chemical properties, but i believe that Moly (Molybdenum Dislufide) is one of the slickest elements know to man. It it also commonly used in high performance racing, marine and industrial applications where other lubes fail. I believe it's much higher specified/more effective than teflon or silicon lubes.

You can get this from Chye Watt Seng which is a gun shop on the 2nd floor of Golden Mile Complex for about $12 - $15. Call first to check for availability and operation hours.

CHEERS!
    Thanks for the information, Feinwerkbau.

You can get silicone lubricants from Homefix. Comes in an aerosol can.

Thanks for the info, Macky.

But looks like I won't be looking for it now since I've got the Teflon Dry lube. But I Bro +evenstar might be interested.

so can apply on any ball head? how is the application like? just pour over? or have to remove the head, spray properly then let it dry and place back?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Hai Chew Hardware Store along Serangoon Ave 1 has all kinds of Teflon and Silicone-based lubricants.

just a thought.
    would the lubricant be so effective till the clamp of the ballhead is unable to clamp the ball firmly?

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    so can apply on any ball head? how is the application like? just pour over? or have to remove the head, spray properly then let it dry and place back?
    That bottle comes with a tip. Just drop 2 or 3 drops onto the ball itself and rotate. That was what I did. Anyway, did not know how to dismantle the ball from the tripod anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    That bottle comes with a tip. Just drop 2 or 3 drops onto the ball itself and rotate. That was what I did. Anyway, did not know how to dismantle the ball from the tripod anyway...
    2-3 drops? hmm y not lend me a few drops too... u can offer a dropping service already...

btw which part of tampines is that? maybe ask somebody buy 4 me
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by GmbH. View Post
    just a thought.
    would the lubricant be so effective till the clamp of the ballhead is unable to clamp the ball firmly?
    The lubricant dries itself upon contact with air. I have tried the tightness of the ball, seems OK. (but have not tried a load of more than 1 kg)
    Last edited by Canew; 6th October 2006 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    2-3 drops? hmm y not lend me a few drops too... u can offer a dropping service already...

btw which part of tampines is that? maybe ask somebody buy 4 me
    Can, you come to Tampines lo DCA. Since you have car ma.
    BTW, Tay Cycle is near SAFRA Tampines.
    Last edited by Canew; 6th October 2006 at 01:37 PM.

Here is a reply from Finish Line:

"Teflon Plus Dry Lube is a 100% Synthetic Oil lube. Synthetic oils are derived from petroleum stock oils that have been highly refined and purified. Teflon Plus Dry Lube is not a silicone based lube."

I was actually thinking of applying it onto my flash light threading. Guess that this product cannot be used where it will come in contact with rubber. Will need to look for a silicone-based lubricant again. Will try Homefix (as mentioned by Macky) and Hai Chew Hardware Store (as mentioned by photobum).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast