Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which memory is better, SD CArd or CF Card?

Default Re: Which memory is better, SD CArd or CF Card?

I like CF better for the compatibility.
    You can take a 8GB CF and stick into almost any memory reader and it will read. If I'm not wrong, old devices with 2GB limit will see up to 2GB but at least you can use it in an emergency.

For SDHC, you may have problems reading it on older readers as it is technically SD Version 2.0. Still, i'm a little surprised SDHC has gotten cheaper than most CF at the same speed too.

On the other hand, I've seen a SD card surviving a 9 floor fall. I doubt a CF landing on its side is able to withstand that..

I go with CF card right now. SD card is suppose to have better performances. However, performance aside, here are my reasons.

My 5D uses CF card, my 20D uses CF card, my G3 uses CF card, my Xt uses SD card, hmmm ... I think decision is obvious.

Actually, my major problem with SD card on a day to day operation is that it is just too small, too easily misplaced, and if I put it in the box, then it's jsut as big as a CF card in a box. Cost is another thing. Even as SD card prices is coming down, CF in the long run should have a price advantage. Having to squeeze xGB of memory in the form factor of a SD card will always be more difficult than into the form factor of a CF card.

CF card will always have an advantage in maximum capacity. I think 12BG and 16GB CF card is scheduled to be delivered this month in the US.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

From my experience, SD card tend to get corrupted and damaged (permanent) more easily. I owned both SD and CF for compact digital. CF survived till today and SD started to show something wrong. One even spoiled. Probably it was I'm more 'bad' luck than other

From its size and weight, SD card is for the future. IMHO, SD card is more durable than CF card.

Regards,
    Arto.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12