View Poll Results: Are you OK by lending you camera gear out? If Yes, how long will you lend?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, my camera gears are my precious, they are not for lending.

39 27.08%
  • Yes, but to very good friends only, and only my lower end gear, my precious are not for lending.

32 22.22%
  • Yes, any of my gears, but to very good friends only.

68 47.22%
  • Yes, any friends of my can borrow my gears.

10 6.94%
  • I donít have problem by lending my gears for more than a few weeks.

7 4.86%
  • I donít have problem by lending my gears for more than a few days.

9 6.25%
  • I feel uneasy by lending my gears for more than a day.

10 6.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How important are your camera gear, will you lend it to your friend?

Default How important are your camera gear, will you lend it to your friend?

Seen another poll regarding camera gears, and some recent incidents make me thinking, how important are our camera gears, will you lend it to your friend for 2-3 days or more than a few weeks? Or friends are more important, and you would lent everything out.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Default Re: How important are your camera gear, will you lend it to your friend?

lend b4... some still with them... if they are gone, so be it, but i won't lend things thats over 1k in value nowadays...

got lend lenses like 28-75 f2.8, 70-300 or the 5600 flash to strangers whom i only met once or twice.

to me, i give trust in everyone, since i believe 人自出,性本善。 but if u take my trust for granted, i just forsake u... simple as that, since i already forsaken quite a few in CS already... haha...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Default Re: How important are your camera gear, will you lend it to your friend?

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    lend b4... some still with them... if they are gone, so be it, but i won't lend things thats over 1k in value nowadays...

got lend lenses like 28-75 f2.8, 70-300 or the 5600 flash to strangers whom i only met once or twice.

to me, i give trust in everyone, since i believe 人自出,性本善。 but if u take my trust for granted, i just forsake u... simple as that, since i already forsaken quite a few in CS already... haha...
    So nice of you, now I know who to borrow from

btw is "人之初,,性本善" Initially all are good, after expose to this complicated & pressurised world, wonder how many are still 善人 .
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

that's why some ppl in this world are labelled 不是人 ...

Peronsally not comfortable lending out my stuff to a stranger or so....
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

But my camera gears are needed everytime I want to take a picture, how to lend out? It's not like I have spares what, only 1 DSLR & a few lenses plus accessories...
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

nid to add another option is lend for a few minutes/hours(with u around the camera) to take a few shots.

Dun really feel comfortable to lend even for a few minutes after an incident. My friend used it to aim at e sun twice...
    But if the friend knows how to deal wif slr, wont mind lending for a few minutes...
    Don't cry because its over,:)Smile because it happened.
    items for sale

Quote Originally Posted by hASHbrown_kopitiam View Post
    nid to add another option is lend for a few minutes/hours(with u around the camera) to take a few shots.

Dun really feel comfortable to lend even for a few minutes after an incident. My friend used it to aim at e sun twice...
    But if the friend knows how to deal wif slr, wont mind lending for a few minutes...
    you should thank your fren for doing sterilization of the lens...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Just in case you've forgotten your 50mm f1.0 is still sitting in my drybox.

But I haven't met you. You lent to a stanger and he lent it to me.

for me, lending it out is big NO NO.

I often lend out gear although I am more protective of my expensive lenses. Saying that, I have just lent my 18-200VR to a friend who is going for a wedding in Oz. However, I know that if anything happened to it she would buy me a new one straight away, without hesitation. Currently I have three SLR cameras and lenses out on loan too. I think it is good to share!

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Just in case you've forgotten your 50mm f1.0 is still sitting in my drybox.

But I haven't met you. You lent to a stanger and he lent it to me.
    thanks, when u free, mail back to me.

I tend to borrow stuff from people but normally the rent comes in the form of a carl jr burger or kopi

I don't lend my stuff. It is like my wife. How to lend your wife out?

must also add a condition to the 'lend to the very good fren' option...

the very good fren must know how to handle and take care of my baby...

if not cannot lend... my baby too precious!
    I go by feel... Never followed the rules.
    www.photosbymarbles.com

Yup... lent my Minolta system to a friend for a month.

QX

i'll only lend to a fren who already has knowledge on how to use a slr/dslr, and I know the person quite well.

If not, only will lend on the spot for fun pics just lend click and pass back to me.

Generally it's ok to lend out, but I always do so under the understanding that the friend will take full responsibility for any damages incurred while the equipment is under his/her care.

I am however most afraid when my friends just pick up my camera and fiddle around with it. I am very anal about making them put the strap around their neck if they want to. It's the thought of any unpleasantness that would occur in the event that they drop it that motivates that paranoia.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Quote Originally Posted by eastwest View Post
    I often lend out gear although I am more protective of my expensive lenses. Saying that, I have just lent my 18-200VR to a friend who is going for a wedding in Oz. However, I know that if anything happened to it she would buy me a new one straight away, without hesitation. Currently I have three SLR cameras and lenses out on loan too. I think it is good to share!
    I'm particularly thankful that you thinks its good to share!
    Last edited by wildstallion; 29th September 2006 at 07:17 PM.

It's tough question to fully answer actually. In my army camp, some of the media resource guys frequently borrow my gear, but I found that they usually don't always take very good care of it. Even then I don't complain about it...to them anyway.

Sometimes it's a moral dilemma...to loan or not to loan? I don't feel nice having to turn people away, especially if I have a certain degree of trust in them. And if I loan it out, what if it returns in worse shape than it originally was?

In these situations (and many others in life) I still end up sacrificing a bit for the sake of a better working relationship. So far it's been more than worth it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast