Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Expounding the feeling: Photographic Philosophy.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611

    Default Expounding the feeling: Photographic Philosophy.

    Debate:

    As in the forums, all that had been discussed is basically about techniques and how to utilize equipment. As such, another member Tetrode had discussed about starting another subforum to discuss purely the aesthetics or the non physical responses/advent of creating/viewing the photograph: The feel.

    Some call it the Eye. Some call it Inspiration. Others simply put it away as Pure luck. However, it is pretty difficult to describe something that is not quantifiable, but some people do come quite close (in their own interpretation of course).

    Of course, art is subjective, and perhaps the pressures to inculcate each person's inspiration is simply just as diverse. Some do it via their past sufferings (kouldeka), or artistic identity (Weston, Cartier Bresson). Some do it with the need to spread the word (Capa/Salagado), while others do it as a testament of respect (Ansel Adams).

    So perhaps, and I believe alot of folks here have lots to say, so pen your thoughts:

    (To the mods: Hopefully this thread will give an idea how's the new subforum gonna be..)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Expounding the feeling: Photographic Philosophy.

    we live in a world where values collapsed into a depthless thin surface dictated by jumping digits in the stock markets.

    before consumerism erased humans' ability to feel, there was Art. after Warhol's Diamond Dust Shoes, there is very much only superficial stimulation ... and ART.

    So, where do we go from here? Is there anymore meaning in art? What is art?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Expounding the feeling: Photographic Philosophy.

    Wisp,

    I admire your eagerness in starting this new subforum but me thinks perhaps you are setting the bar a tad too high. While what you have penned down might not be too esoteric for some, it might be for others.

    If we want to encourage participation in these type of discussions, we should start at a layman's level of understanding and not with abstruse discussions. Other approaches are needed otherwise you stand to alienate a lot of people.

    Perhaps backing up what you have said with explanations and examples, a glossary of terms, links to other sites (sites of the people you have written about).

    There will be people here who haven't heard of Koudelka, Weston, Cartier Bresson, Capa, Salagado and yes even HCB.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Expounding the feeling: Photographic Philosophy.

    Sorry man. The first thing that came to my mind on opening this thread were two words:

    "Wah piang..."

    I do (try to) think about what I shoot, but not to the point where it hampers what I've set out to do - take pictures! Yup, I'm a simpleton. I make an image in my head, link it to a feeling I have and try my best to reproduce it as a photograph. I like, I shoot. I don't like, I delete.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  5. #5
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Expounding the feeling: Photographic Philosophy.

    i think debates on the technical aspects of photography is better than this..
    +0 cuz kopitiam no post count
    sigh.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: Expounding the feeling: Photographic Philosophy.

    Ah, an oversight. Thanks alot.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Expounding the feeling: Photographic Philosophy.

    I'm not exactly sure how to describe that form of feeling given my extreme lack of vocabulary.

    But whenever I attend model shoots (a rarity these days since models these days are so cheerful looking), a day or two before, I would think thoroughly what exactly it is I would like my series to portray and how are my feelings for the past couple of days.

    Of cos, my personal mood and feeling sets the centerstage for most of my shoot. If something happens at work or if I'm just in my black (yes, 'black'. 1 grade lower than 'blue') days, there's a chance it would affect the overall compositional mood of my photos as well as how many times I would tell the model to smile.

    Before an event like a wedding, its really hard (since I'm much a blue person), but psyching myself up to the event (serious, fun, etc) would be necessary otherwise it would not only affect my shooting but the overall mood since I will unconsicously filter out scenes.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: Expounding the feeling: Photographic Philosophy.

    Nah don't worry about the vocabulary part. It's just that way I speak/write. Just say what influences you and what you think says most about your photography. Thanks alot anyway!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: Expounding the feeling: Photographic Philosophy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    i think debates on the technical aspects of photography is better than this..
    +0 cuz kopitiam no post count
    Whatever roast your goose..

  10. #10

    Default Re: Expounding the feeling: Photographic Philosophy.

    Well, the thread title is kindda immense. But under this umbrella, I would, if I could (if there was indeed a sub forum): I would start a thread with the title:
    Do your photograph have souls?
    And in the content dialogue box, I would type:

    Exercise 1: Look at all the photographs you have taken. Can you find any photo that seems technically correct or near perfect, but somehow seems flat and forgettable?

    Exercise 2: Look at all the photographs you have taken. Can you find any photo that's just crappy, technically wrong, and you know you'll be die of multiple gunshot wounds and buried without a coffin if you had posted on Clubsnap's "Portraits and Poses" forum, but somehow it reaches a deep part of you?

    Exercise 3: If you're gonna throw away unwanted photographs, please go through Exercise 1 and 2.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Expounding the feeling: Photographic Philosophy.

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    Well, the thread title is kindda immense. But under this umbrella, I would, if I could (if there was indeed a sub forum): I would start a thread with the title:
    Do your photograph have souls?
    And in the content dialogue box, I would type:

    Exercise 1: Look at all the photographs you have taken. Can you find any photo that seems technically correct or near perfect, but somehow seems flat and forgettable?

    Exercise 2: Look at all the photographs you have taken. Can you find any photo that's just crappy, technically wrong, and you know you'll be die of multiple gunshot wounds and buried without a coffin if you had posted on Clubsnap's "Portraits and Poses" forum, but somehow it reaches a deep part of you?

    Exercise 3: If you're gonna throw away unwanted photographs, please go through Exercise 1 and 2.
    Well explained!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: Expounding the feeling: Photographic Philosophy.

    Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    Well, the thread title is kindda immense. But under this umbrella, I would, if I could (if there was indeed a sub forum): I would start a thread with the title:
    Do your photograph have souls?
    And in the content dialogue box, I would type:

    Exercise 1: Look at all the photographs you have taken. Can you find any photo that seems technically correct or near perfect, but somehow seems flat and forgettable?

    Exercise 2: Look at all the photographs you have taken. Can you find any photo that's just crappy, technically wrong, and you know you'll be die of multiple gunshot wounds and buried without a coffin if you had posted on Clubsnap's "Portraits and Poses" forum, but somehow it reaches a deep part of you?

    Exercise 3: If you're gonna throw away unwanted photographs, please go through Exercise 1 and 2.
    One word that comes to mind when I read this:

    LOMO!
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  13. #13

    Default Re: Expounding the feeling: Photographic Philosophy.

    well...i have never looked to photography as the means to an end (producing an image). rather, i view it as a process for me to define photography for myself...

    for me, the word photography is dynamic and is constantly taking on new meanings and broader definations....

  14. #14
    Moderator Clown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Expounding the feeling: Photographic Philosophy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
    Whatever roast your goose..
    same to whatever stuffs your chicken
    sigh.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Expounding the feeling: Photographic Philosophy.

    actually my personal experience with creative pursuits (writing, music, painting, photography) is that all this talking/thinking/analysis/criticism takes place rather separately from the creactive act. lots of artists (and "artists") talk about their philosophy, but often we find there's a disconnect with what they've actually produced. what actually happens during the creative act is often something that we're not conscious of.
    Black lens, white Lens, can take picture is a Good lens

  16. #16

    Default Re: Expounding the feeling: Photographic Philosophy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
    ... some call it the Eye. Some call it Inspiration. Others simply put it away as Pure luck. However, it is pretty difficult to describe something that is not quantifiable, but some people do come quite close (in their own interpretation of course).

    Of course, art is subjective....
    Even if there are agreements between 2 photographers, ultimately what they say will be different. Art is a very personal thing. As long as I like it, it's art, and if I hate it, it's trash. This has nothing to do with how famous the artist is, can be a master or an amateur, same rule applies.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  17. #17

    Default Re: Expounding the feeling: Photographic Philosophy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Art is a very personal thing. As long as I like it, it's art, and if I hate it, it's trash.
    curious, is there room for something outside like and hate? i admire the structure and wordplay in joyce's novels, and the elegance of mozart's music. unfortunately, joyce is inaccessible to me, and mozart puts me to sleep. i don't see either as trash though.
    Black lens, white Lens, can take picture is a Good lens

  18. #18

    Default Re: Expounding the feeling: Photographic Philosophy.

    interesting topic...

    my view is that "photographic philosophy" simply means "photographing what moves you".

    be it the yosemite national park, decisive moments along the streets of paris, everyday humdrum objects that people tend to overlook, or heart-rending scenes of war and disaster.

    it's no surprise that the most powerful and moving images are captured in this way, because they are inspired by what moves the photographer's heart and soul.

    so....what moves you to photograph?

    do your photographs move others as well? if so, then you have shared some of your photographic philosophy with them. no words required.
    Last edited by zaren; 30th September 2006 at 10:02 AM.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  19. #19

    Default Re: Expounding the feeling: Photographic Philosophy.

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    interesting topic...

    my view is that "photographic philosophy" simply means "photographing what moves you".

    be it the yosemite national park, decisive moments along the streets of paris, everyday humdrum objects that people tend to overlook, or heart-rending scenes of war and disaster.

    it's no surprise that the most powerful and moving images are captured in this way, because they are inspired by what moves the photographer's heart and soul.

    so....what moves you to photograph?

    do your photographs move others as well? if so, then you have shared some of your photographic philosophy with them. no words required.
    Of course, world is not black and white ... but it's very difficult to define grey ...

    I will let you define it for yourself ...
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •