Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer.

Default Re: Summer.

Quote Originally Posted by khairi View Post
    aiyoyo...what happened here?!

Wisp: i came back because i was having 2nd thoughts abt my first comment.
    Upon a 2nd look...it looked like a portrait of a dog, an environmental portrait mayb.
    but somehow, i still feel that the pict be crop a bit at the top n left side...

ppl misunderstood what student was trying to say... teruk giler!
    Its okay~ stuff happens dude.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetShooter View Post
    The term "dog days of summer" comes to mind when I see this pic with its accompanying title.

So hot that the poor dog is trying to shelter in what little shade there is, but the poor back legs are still baking on the pavement. So hot that everyone has closed shop and gone to the beach and nobody bothers about going shopping. The dark sharp shadows indicate how hot and sunny it is. The prominent word "roaster" in the background is an appropriately sardonic comment on how hot it is. 3 pm is usually the saddest most dreary time of day, and this is the approximate time the shadows indicate. The feeling is "bleah!", somewhat like when you are in the army and getting ready to set off on a long route march.

Or maybe not. Maybe that's not at all what Wisp was trying to portray. But that is what the picture (and its caption) says to me.

But, as student has pointed out - and I agree with him - what the picture cannot show is how Wisp felt when he took this photo. That is the magic of BEING the photographer (as opposed to just looking at a photo taken by someone else). Looking at a photo you've taken yourself (even if it was many years ago) brings you right back to that moment when you snapped that shot. You can remember why you were there, how it felt like, what you did before and after, and even how the air smelled like at that point in time.

So, instead of writing long critiques which may not be appreciated, go out and capture those memories!
    Somewhere along those lines, but I'm not going to quantify that =). Anyway, some critiques are impt as it points out stuff that may never occur to the photographer. So it's not that useless.
    Last edited by Wisp; 28th September 2006 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zhuanjia View Post
    perhaps can enlighten us on why you pick this title?
    Not bad..changed your statement.

Simply because it was so damn hot that day. Nothing else really...I purposely printed it light to show the contrast.

Just a little note, and I'm just being direct, no harsh feelings involved:

Next time if you want to try pick a fight by quoting me or anybody else and trying to make us out to be proud conceited idiots, I suggest letting us refute you first =).
    Last edited by Wisp; 28th September 2006 at 08:10 PM.

first and foremost, congratulations on this post! (for getting people to talk ... you know what i mean )

back to the picture. i really hate this picture, i hate it so much i really like it. look at that poor dog getting the full blast of summer heat while humans hide behind shades, drink coffee and have hotdog ... sheesh ... i said it, and i'll say it again, must you remind us of how inhumane we can be at times? and this i must also say, the amount of honesty your pictures carry, no matter how bad your scanner is, beats 3 quarters of the pictures on CS handsdown anytime.

*shrinks as eikin words bounces off his head*
    major ouch~! I swear it was the seaweed.
    Last edited by Wisp; 28th September 2006 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by benedium View Post
    Wisp has a point here. We really should remember to open our eyes and mind to why people create things a particular way. To expect everyone to produce art or whatever in the usual ways and to achieve the usual objectives is not viable. Art is as much a journey for the viewer as it is for the artist.

Anyway, I can see the summer there. the shadows, the blown highlights. The empty street. Actually, come to think of it, there is really nothing to critique in art.

If I were Wisp, I wouldn't have posted in Critique Corner. Since my objective is not to get critiques. But that's my problem
    lol..thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12