Thread: where does technologies bring us to?

Default where does technologies bring us to?

taken off http://www.livingroom.org.au/photolo.../nikon_d80.php

3D Colour Matrix Metering II automatic exposure control ensures ideal exposures in most lighting conditions. It evaluates brightness, colour, contrast, selected focus area and camera-to-subject distance. The system references the data against an expanded onboard database created using data from more than 30,000 actual photographic scenes to instantly and accurately calculate the final exposure value for the shot. Variable centre-weighted metering and spot metering centered on the active focus area are also available.

quite hard to find for other camera. considering d80 already have more than 30k actual photographic scenes database, may guess is pro-level camera bodies (regardless of brand) will have more. some camera now incorpreate face recognition technology also which i think is also link to metering system.

like a fellow (pro-level) cser once told me, he compared exposure he gets from using multi-spot and the evaluative metering mode, difference is often less than 1/2stop.

but using this as example, with current state of the art compact digital and dslr, do we still need spot, multi-spot or light meters?

if we combine this with focusing screen with grid-lines to help you to compose (like d70) to the rule of thumb "rule of the third", can you imagine cameras of the future taking over 90% of the work. all a photog needs to do is to compose such that the subject coincide with the "third" and press fire away.

we have technology to make product safer (as in air-bag, predictive system to know the car is going to be out of control) and easier to use, to what level do we want to go to? a car that drive on it, a camera that takes photo for you?

look at the high tech production lines for cars and cnc machines (precision machines), only less than 10 tech taking care for the whole shop floor over 24hr (10 yrs ago already like that).
    Last edited by denniskee; 25th September 2006 at 01:15 PM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Default Re: where does technologies bring us to?

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    .....if we combine this with focusing screen with grid-lines to help you to compose (like d70) to the rule of thumb "rule of the third", can you imagine cameras of the future taking over 90% of the work. all a photog needs to do is to compose such that the subject coincide with the "third" and press fire away.
    Can it source the props, creatively conceptualise a shot, use a lighting style and finally digitally retouch it to achieve a look and feel?

I need a machine that can help me to do that.

Default Re: where does technologies bring us to?

here i am not talking about creativity, but more of a normal pns, street candid shot, landscape etc.

1) during mechanical camera era, i believe most problem is under-expose and over-expose.
    2) than come centre weighted metering system, problem is less.
    3) than come average, evaluative and spot metering, get problems is reduce once again.
    4) than come the smart camera, problem is even lesser.

speaking for myself, i started from (3) to (4), while using auto-mode, it find the above true. than i ventured into (2), alamak, even worst than (3).

for photography, i think easier to settle the exposure problem than go into creative photography.

for cars, ever since we have auto-transmittion, most fell in love with it, so much so that nowwe have driving licence just for that cat.
    than we have anti-lock brake system. i remember some magazine said most people drive faster (wrong concept since momentum increase, braking distant also increase).
    than come proximity sensor that make parking so much eaiser.
    than we have active suspension system. some starts to become gangho rally driver.
    before car goes out of control, the safety system cuts in.
    heck, if kana accident, we have side impact bars, crumple zone, air bags.

just my opinion, would like to hear others opinion.
    Last edited by denniskee; 25th September 2006 at 02:08 PM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.