Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: F stop in camera and lens

  1. #1

    Default F stop in camera and lens

    Hi,

    I'm a DSLR newbie, and just purchased D80.
    I'm a bit confuse about the f stop in lens and camera. What's the relation ?
    my lens kit is 1/f is 3.5 - 5.6 and the camera can go as low as 1/22.

    when i test a night shot with small appeture and long exposure can see much different when i played with camera f stop.

    thanks for reading and advice

    cheers !

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: F stop in camera and lens

    Quote Originally Posted by zhuqe
    Hi,

    I'm a DSLR newbie, and just purchased D80.
    I'm a bit confuse about the f stop in lens and camera. What's the relation ?
    my lens kit is 1/f is 3.5 - 5.6 and the camera can go as low as 1/22.

    when i test a night shot with small appeture and long exposure can see much different when i played with camera f stop.

    thanks for reading and advice

    cheers !
    ur camera only set the aperture... it does't mean that your camera is able to go as low as f22 (camera doesn't have aperture, it depend on the lens)

    and what do you mean by much different?

  3. #3

    Default Re: F stop in camera and lens

    Dont be surprised but if u do look at ur nikon d80 manual..
    its all stated there.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: F stop in camera and lens

    Quote Originally Posted by XC Pictorial
    Dont be surprised but if u do look at ur nikon d80 manual..
    its all stated there.
    Yeah.

    Wow a beginner and T/S bought the D80? Good choice, but now suggest TS go for a basic photography course first to learn the basics of photography. Also check out the library and online resources. What's the use of a best equipment, if one does not know how to use if effectively?
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  5. #5

    Default Re: F stop in camera and lens

    the f numbers that u see printed on the lens are the maximum apertures for the lens. Remember, big number equals small aperture, so when we say maximum aperture, we mean smallest number. The camera only control the aperture of the lens. It does not limit it. Zoom lenses have f3.5-5.6 or whatever cos the numbers are the maximum apertures at the widest end of the zoom lens and the most telephoto end of the zoom lens. The maximum possible aperture changes as you zoom. Try and see. A 50mm f1.8 gives has only one maximum aperture because it does not zoom. An expensive 'pro' zoom lens has what we call constant maximum aperture cos it has a maximum aperture of f2.8 or whatever from wide to telephoto.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: F stop in camera and lens

    Quote Originally Posted by zhuqe
    Hi,

    I'm a DSLR newbie, and just purchased D80.
    I'm a bit confuse about the f stop in lens and camera. What's the relation ?
    my lens kit is 1/f is 3.5 - 5.6 and the camera can go as low as 1/22.

    when i test a night shot with small appeture and long exposure can see much different when i played with camera f stop.

    thanks for reading and advice

    cheers !
    The lense is 18-135mm right? The f=stop on the lense shows the largest aperture that the lense is capable of opening up to, in this case at 18mm its 3.5, while it slowly goes down to 5.6 at 135mm. Aperture is the size of the opening which allows light to come in. The f-22 is the smallest aperture size. You can choose the range of 3.5/5.6 - 22 when you take a shot. There is also the smallest aperture that the lense is capable of going to. Check your manual?...
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  7. #7

    Default Re: F stop in camera and lens

    Quote Originally Posted by blive
    The lense is 18-135mm right? The f=stop on the lense shows the largest aperture that the lense is capable of opening up to, in this case at 18mm its 3.5, while it slowly goes down to 5.6 at 135mm. Aperture is the size of the opening which allows light to come in. The f-22 is the smallest aperture size. You can choose the range of 3.5/5.6 - 22 when you take a shot. There is also the smallest aperture that the lense is capable of going to. Check your manual?...
    Heheh, I think your explanation is better

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: F stop in camera and lens

    Thanks. your explanation is quite good. I just speaking as a non professional...
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

  9. #9

    Default Re: F stop in camera and lens

    wow, thanks guys. don't expect so many responds.

    i meant i can't see much different.

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    ur camera only set the aperture... it does't mean that your camera is able to go as low as f22 (camera doesn't have aperture, it depend on the lens)

    and what do you mean by much different?

  10. #10

    Default Re: F stop in camera and lens

    Hi, Try to find a photography course for Nikon, so far only can find Canon.
    Any advice ?

    Quote Originally Posted by blive
    Yeah.

    Wow a beginner and T/S bought the D80? Good choice, but now suggest TS go for a basic photography course first to learn the basics of photography. Also check out the library and online resources. What's the use of a best equipment, if one does not know how to use if effectively?

  11. #11

    Default Re: F stop in camera and lens

    hi still a bit confuse.
    are you saying that if i set f/22 in camera and my lens max is f/5.6 then the effective f stop is only 5.6 ?


    Quote Originally Posted by blive
    The lense is 18-135mm right? The f=stop on the lense shows the largest aperture that the lense is capable of opening up to, in this case at 18mm its 3.5, while it slowly goes down to 5.6 at 135mm. Aperture is the size of the opening which allows light to come in. The f-22 is the smallest aperture size. You can choose the range of 3.5/5.6 - 22 when you take a shot. There is also the smallest aperture that the lense is capable of going to. Check your manual?...

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: F stop in camera and lens

    Quote Originally Posted by zhuqe
    hi still a bit confuse.
    are you saying that if i set f/22 in camera and my lens max is f/5.6 then the effective f stop is only 5.6 ?
    no... if you set if @ f22, your lens will be adjusted to f22 as well.. f5.6 is the bigesst you can go and f22 is the smallest.

  13. #13

    Default Re: F stop in camera and lens

    Quote Originally Posted by blive
    Thanks. your explanation is quite good. I just speaking as a non professional...
    This is very basic probably jus enough for a prosumer user
    however to make the best of ur d80 u need to fully understand the concepts behind aperture, shutter, ISO and how all of these work together to create ur exposure, and the by-effects of different settings including DOF, grain etc...


    I dont suggest courses. I have never gone for a single one of them till now, and i dont intend to..

  14. #14

    Default Re: F stop in camera and lens

    Set up a shot at about 18mm or 24mm or 50mm on the lens (do all if you have the time to kill), with a subject at about 2m away from you (like your gf), and lots of background details, like some shops, trees, etc. Focus on that subject, and shot at 3.5, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22. On a bright sunny day, please.

    Download the shots and see the difference. If the day is not sunny, expect some shakes at the 16-22 end.

    You should see the depth-of-field increase from 3.5 to 22. If you don't understand DOF, then read the manual, buy a book, take a course, etc.

    Bro you are a bit far from being able to benefit from forum participation. No offence meant.

  15. #15

    Default Re: F stop in camera and lens

    Hi all, thanks

    I think i got it now
    at 18mm i can adjust aperture from 3.5 - 22
    at 135mm i can adjust aperture from 5.6 - 22

    no wonder lens with small number f-stop is more expensive.

    thanks again.

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    no... if you set if @ f22, your lens will be adjusted to f22 as well.. f5.6 is the bigesst you can go and f22 is the smallest.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •