Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: The impasse of the tide

  1. #1

    Default The impasse of the tide

    This was the least conventional of all my shots done at the beach yesterday and early this morning, so I decided to post it here instead for some critique and discussion if you will. More interesting to talk about IMO than the landscapes I did at the beach. Those are also available under the landscape subforum should you wish to look at them anyway

    Last edited by Stoned; 22nd September 2006 at 01:02 AM.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Little Red Dot
    Posts
    384

    Default Re: The impasse of the tide

    Hi,
    Think this is pretty interesting, maybe I would compose with more weightage on the sand particles in sea phenomenon rather than the seaweed on the bottom of photo. Just my personal view.

  3. #3

    Default Re: The impasse of the tide

    I actually went on to crop the shot to simplify it(i felt it was a tad busy) but I didn't post it here because I thought no one was interested. Here's the crop for comparison anyway.

    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  4. #4

    Default Re: The impasse of the tide

    Hi Stoned,

    Good timed capture. Any reason why you chose the weeds as the stationary contrast to the moving waves?

    Waves are chaotic, so you normally would want something else that possesses contrasting characteristics, like stones for instance.

    The mess of weeds on the otherhand does not contrast well with the waves. A minor technical observation is that the focus on the weeds were not sharp enough.

    My 2 cents worth.

    Cheers,
    GB

  5. #5

    Default Re: The impasse of the tide

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
    Hi Stoned,

    Good timed capture. Any reason why you chose the weeds as the stationary contrast to the moving waves?

    Waves are chaotic, so you normally would want something else that possesses contrasting characteristics, like stones for instance.

    The mess of weeds on the otherhand does not contrast well with the waves. A minor technical observation is that the focus on the weeds were not sharp enough.

    My 2 cents worth.

    Cheers,
    GB
    The reason why it looks somewhat unsharp was because the water actually washed over the seaweed as well. The choice of seaweed was because it was something different, rather than rocks. I dislike rehashing the same thing over and over again, but perhaps you're right about the contrast. Nevertheless, I'd still like to think of a strong subject other than rocks.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Little Red Dot
    Posts
    384

    Default Re: The impasse of the tide

    Hi, frankly I really like your crop....it reminds me of mist moving slowly over green mountains in the morning....is this taken handheld?
    I was thinking of using small aperture to lengthen the ex and blur everything out.....it should be surreal....

  7. #7

    Default Re: The impasse of the tide

    Quote Originally Posted by betazone View Post
    Hi, frankly I really like your crop....it reminds me of mist moving slowly over green mountains in the morning....is this taken handheld?
    I was thinking of using small aperture to lengthen the ex and blur everything out.....it should be surreal....
    As it is it's already f16, 3.5", ISO 50. Heh. As you can see from the original image it's starting to suffer from bad diffraction, so i tried to avoid f22. It's tripod mounted, definitely.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: The impasse of the tide

    for the scene you want, it probably has to be taken, with a tripod on low light conditions such as early morning/late evening to get that low drag/misty slopes of water. It looks as if you've take the shot in late afternoon with substantial light.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Little Red Dot
    Posts
    384

    Default Re: The impasse of the tide

    Hi, you may want to try ND filter or even a polariser to lengthen the exposure .....or as mentioned take this around 7+pm when sun is setting.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: The impasse of the tide

    although you attempt to shoot something less ordinary, this shot makes me feel like you don't really know what to do with the subject. it's very much an ordinary looking shot of seaweed washed by sea water on the beach. try other angles, or other seaweed. as far as i know, the best place to shoot seaweed in Singapore is Chek Jawa, go have a look and you'll know why.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: The impasse of the tide

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    although you attempt to shoot something less ordinary, this shot makes me feel like you don't really know what to do with the subject. it's very much an ordinary looking shot of seaweed washed by sea water on the beach. try other angles, or other seaweed. as far as i know, the best place to shoot seaweed in Singapore is Chek Jawa, go have a look and you'll know why.
    Enough of sea weeds dude.. I'm already feeling kinda sick already lol.

    I don't think shooting seaweeds go with me unless you're talking giant kelp forest..

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: The impasse of the tide

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
    Enough of sea weeds dude.. I'm already feeling kinda sick already lol.

    I don't think shooting seaweeds go with me unless you're talking giant kelp forest..


    not exactly giant kelp forest, but enough to make a field, here's a newly processed sample from a long time back

  13. #13

    Default Re: The impasse of the tide

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    although you attempt to shoot something less ordinary, this shot makes me feel like you don't really know what to do with the subject. it's very much an ordinary looking shot of seaweed washed by sea water on the beach. try other angles, or other seaweed. as far as i know, the best place to shoot seaweed in Singapore is Chek Jawa, go have a look and you'll know why.

    Bingo. I'll admit I was just passing time After coming home though, I thought it was interesting, so I posted under CC.

    Thanks for the tips guys, but the seaweed doesn't really intrigue me so I doubt I would reshoot. It was done in the late afternoon with substantial light around 6+, so those who guessed that you're spot on.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •