Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 18-200mm lens

Default Re: 18-200mm lens

Fukie

Actually, its not just $600 more

Sell both the Kit 18-55 and the 70-300 you have. That'll help towards your final purchase.

hmm... my budget, now manage to save a few hundred bucks... sell both my lenses?

i wondering who would want it man... in addition, i damaged both before, and i gotta repair the 18-55 mount before, the 55-200 has few scratches from a NZ tour. i don't think i can get any buyers even if it were in good conditions.

maybe i just end up getting a portable printer for the trip, so i can at least give some pics to the poor kids there. (i am doing a hike cum community work trip)

if some interested buyer who happened to browse by and is willing to buy both my lenses together, PM me willing to negotiate for a good price (with one hoya 52mm UV filter, can even add in a grobartiq 2.5x teleconverter)

i hope the moderators don't delete this msg or ban me because i am "selling" my stuff here...

Quote Originally Posted by FuKiE View Post
    Haha, first i am gettin the lens for a school overseas trip... so less lens = more flexibility.

2nd I do agree on getttin a VR but its 600 more compared to a 3rd party one... and i am student... so budget might be a problem, worse comes to worse, i might not even get a 18-200mm lens.

3rd, i also do agree with the slow f6.3, but again $$$$

4th, most of the time, an 18-200mm would come handy, especially in snap shots... but by the time i change my lens... the shot probably "flew" away.... even if i were to change at lightning speed.. something is gonna get damaged or scratched...

5th, maybe i will just scrap the idea of getting an 18-2oomm and get a tripod instead... unless someone is willing to sponsor me

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys!
    Well, for me, the 18-55 is a good enough range for most shots, You can also move around. That's the best zoom around.. your legs. Learn to be creative and work within your limits. for my trips, most time, i work within the range, and only use my 70-300mm lense occassionally. Your mind and body is the best tool for photography. Don't think of what you can't do without the new lenses, think of what you can do with your current set-up.

Anyway, if you are really serious about getting the 18-200mm range, get the Nikon 18-200mm VR as it is sharp and has VR. read the reviews. Save up and get that instead.

If however, you are considering to sell your current lenses, put them up in the B&S column instead of here.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

hmm... my budget, now manage to save a few hundred bucks... sell both my lenses?

i wondering who would want it man... in addition, i damaged both before, and i gotta repair the 18-55 mount before, the 55-200 has few scratches from a NZ tour. i don't think i can get any buyers even if it were in good conditions.

maybe i just end up getting a portable printer for the trip, so i can at least give some pics to the poor kids there. (i am doing a hike cum community work trip)

if some interested buyer who happened to browse by and is willing to buy both my lenses together, PM me willing to negotiate for a good price (with one hoya 52mm UV filter, can even add in a grobartiq 2.5x teleconverter)

i hope the moderators don't delete this msg or ban me because i am "selling" my stuff here...
    How could you damaged your lenses? You have gotto learn how t take care of your equipment. If you are so careless, then better don't waste money on new lenses....

I have had my film camera and lenses for more than 5 years, and my d50 for more than a year, and they have all gone to alot of places, including Asia, NZ, Australia, Europe.... Never once did they get damaged at all. Don't even need to send to NSC for servicing at all.

Tamron got this new product 18-250mm lens. U might want to check it out.
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...amron18250.asp

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPoP View Post
    Tamron got this new product 18-250mm lens. U might want to check it out.
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...amron18250.asp
    i feel that the lens range is a bit too wide already...18-200 is already an overkill...

Quote Originally Posted by aaron80 View Post
    Hi if u are on a budget, no point burning your pocket big-time.. I have some friends using the tamron/sigma 18-200mm, taking pics way better than ppl using the Nikon 18-200Vr. We are just into photography, not doing test-charts to see which lens is slightly sharper/contrasty etc.. .
    i second that

also, there is nothing photoshop can't fix!!!

Blog Entries

Haha, first i am gettin the lens for a school overseas trip... so less lens = more flexibility.

2nd I do agree on getttin a VR but its 600 more compared to a 3rd party one... and i am student... so budget might be a problem, worse comes to worse, i might not even get a 18-200mm lens.

3rd, i also do agree with the slow f6.3, but again $$$$

4th, most of the time, an 18-200mm would come handy, especially in snap shots... but by the time i change my lens... the shot probably "flew" away.... even if i were to change at lightning speed.. something is gonna get damaged or scratched...

5th, maybe i will just scrap the idea of getting an 18-2oomm and get a tripod instead... unless someone is willing to sponsor me

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys!
    what you need is to slow down
    think about your shot and compose your shot well

if you want snapshots, then get a P&S camera

since you already have the focal lenght covered in your current lenses
    I'd suggest going for a WA (eg. 12-24) it will let you do different things with your camera.

Sigma has just announced an image stabilized 18-200 lens. Might be worth considering.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...18-200dcos.asp

Quote Originally Posted by HydroPoP View Post
    Sigma has just announced an image stabilized 18-200 lens. Might be worth considering.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06...18-200dcos.asp
    IMO, Tamron should have some IS in their lenses too.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by blive View Post
    How could you damaged your lenses? You have gotto learn how t take care of your equipment. If you are so careless, then better don't waste money on new lenses....
    Haha, i was in New Zealand, and it was quite slippery and rocky in that area. I was approaching a galcier... so i tripped but scrapped the underneath of my 55-200mm lens.
    The 18-55mm lens mount broke off when my camera flew out of my back... (don't ask)... But got it repaired and serviced and its working great!

Anyone knows the prices of the new sigman and tamron lenses? I have a feeling its going to be in the 4 digits range...

How about renting? The prices seems somewaht reasonable but i am probably off getting the 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 lenses with a few hundred bucks more.

Whoa, 6.3 is way too much for me too stand, I understand that you do shoot school concerts. They allow flash all the time? Because mine dosen't and even with a flash I am usually shooting too far away for flash to be effective. On tripod, it won't help much if the lighting's bad with max ISO and a speed of 1/10 due to the horrible motion blur (artistic at times) that you'll get. You'll really want to consider a much lower f-stop unless its specifically only for outdoor concerts? I wouldn't pay for VR unless I had the spare cash cause its costs too much. Usually there would be another photog on duty for school events? For me I shoot tele prime and he shoots wide so covers all.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

Haha, i was in New Zealand, and it was quite slippery and rocky in that area. I was approaching a galcier... so i tripped but scrapped the underneath of my 55-200mm lens.
    The 18-55mm lens mount broke off when my camera flew out of my back... (don't ask)... But got it repaired and serviced and its working great!

Anyone knows the prices of the new sigman and tamron lenses? I have a feeling its going to be in the 4 digits range...

How about renting? The prices seems somewaht reasonable but i am probably off getting the 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 lenses with a few hundred bucks more.
    Like what Otega says, you have got to slow down and think about your shots first.

I was at the fox glacier too, but usually for difficult terrain, I keep my camera in the bag first, and only take it out when I need to take a shot. Its all about learning how to take care of yourself and your gear.

Don't seem like the price of the new lenses are out yet.

Like I said earlier, learn to use your current set-up more first, if you are on a budget.

For me, I would wait for the reviews of the 18-200 Sigma OS lense, but my sight is still keen on the VR, so waiting for the day to purchase, and it's not because I am on budget...

My suggestion is to get the VR.... the killing thing about this hobby is upgrading.... technically once we have the lens to cover most focal length it should be enough... for me 10-22mm, 17-85mm, 70-200mm and a prime 50mm F1.8... but most of us tried a few other lens before upgrading and lose... me too suffer the depreciation...
    Some will advise to get lens from B&S.... but a len like 18-200mm VR used probably not signicifantly cheaper than new....
    unless u can shake off the temptation of upgrading.... if not just save and get the VR....

Happy shooting...

I am currently lookin for an 18-200mm lens...
    Any recommendations? Nikon version seems good especially with the VR but it is too expensive for me (I am just a student). ~$1300!!!!!
    Currently lookin at the Sigma and Tamron version, if i am correct, they don't have VR and have a smaller aperture, 6.3 instead of 5.6, right?
    They are siginificantly cheaper, probably by halve(~ 550-650) , but is quality comprimised? I don't mind not having a VR... Anyway i need to get a tripod soon too...
    How about consider AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12