Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prosumer Long Zoom

Default Re: Prosumer Long Zoom

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare
    Mmm, yes that's true.

Budget is unfortunately, limited to less than a K. =D

I wish I had unlimited budget - don't we all?
    Yeah, that would make life so much easier. Then I can get a porter to carry all the equipment too!

Back to the topic. Have you held the cameras you are interested in? Go to a shop, get a feel of the cameras. Bring along some memory SD/CF/MS etc. Shoot similar shots with the cameras. Go back home, have a look at the shots. In the end, its more of a personal thing. If you do not like the feel of the camera in your hand, how often will you take it out with you?

You might want to have a look here for more info about the S2IS. The S3IS is almost the same camera, most of the stuff here applies to it.

Haha, to tell the truth, I have just been examining on paper.

I just started recently with my A540, I think bought last month already, so I'm just planning ahead first, right now new cameras come out also not much different looking at trend, so just "shop" around and ask here ask there to get a general idea of what I want and should be looking for in order to maximize utility.

But no worries, I think after reading around, and seeing the people's replies, I think I have a clear idea what I should be looking out for when I got to shop proper, will definitely play around at the shop before I make the buy, because a good camera will surely last me a long time and such things must not be rushed! =)

On a side note, you won't believe how many people tell me to get DSLR instead, hehehe.

I know I should, but, I don't know, I just don't think it's an appropriate thing to do, for various reasons I'd mentioned earlier. =)

Thanks once again, cerebus; you've really been a great help.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare

I just started recently with my A540, I think bought last month already, so I'm just planning ahead first, right now new cameras come out also not much different looking at trend, so just "shop" around and ask here ask there to get a general idea of what I want and should be looking for in order to maximize utility.

But no worries, I think after reading around, and seeing the people's replies, I think I have a clear idea what I should be looking out for when I got to shop proper, will definitely play around at the shop before I make the buy, because a good camera will surely last me a long time and such things must not be rushed! =)

On a side note, you won't believe how many people tell me to get DSLR instead, hehehe.

I know I should, but, I don't know, I just don't think it's an appropriate thing to do, for various reasons I'd mentioned earlier. =)

if that the case, you should be looking at it now... technology move fast...

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    if that the case, you should be looking at it now... technology move fast...
    Haha, don't understand what you mean.

Should be looking at what?

DSLR?

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    No worries! Post pictures once you get your new toy. In the end, its not the camera that matters. Its the fun you have with it and the nice pictures that you produce.

Haha, don't understand what you mean.

Should be looking at what?

DSLR?
    oopz sry, i meant should not be looking now... since by the time you really going to buy all this camera might already have been discontinued

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    oopz sry, i meant should not be looking now... since by the time you really going to buy all this camera might already have been discontinued
    Hehe, discontinued still can find mar.. =D

Confirm will still have la, all the choices relatively new!

Agree with cerebus, am having loads of fun with my A540, and it's just a P&S with some manual function; can't wait for the time to get DSLR haha.

Btw, OOT, but should I get the close-up lens for my A540? Very pissifying because cannot do macro shots properly due to rather pathetic minimum focal length.

I wonder if I'm doing anything wrong. =( Also, I remember reading somewhere that to get less DOF must zoom in (ie. longer lens) but when I do that, cannot macro already, the camera refuses to focus.

Btw, OOT, but should I get the close-up lens for my A540? Very pissifying because cannot do macro shots properly due to rather pathetic minimum focal length.

I wonder if I'm doing anything wrong. =( Also, I remember reading somewhere that to get less DOF must zoom in (ie. longer lens) but when I do that, cannot macro already, the camera refuses to focus.
    How macro do you want to go? I am using the Raynox DCR-250 on my S2IS, gives me a +10 diopter.

This pin is about 2cm from wing tip to wing tip. I just did a square crop and resized the image to 500x500 pixels.

For macro, I would prefer a bit more DOF. Its a pain trying to get the eyes of an insect in focus, especially using a LCD or EVF.

Mmm, I think my A540 cannot do that lor.

The figurine in the photo I will be attaching is about 8 cm tall, and I cropped the photo:

And then when I do max zoom, and turn macro mode on, and try to macro, the camera REFUSES to focus. Is it supposed to be that way?

I like to isolate certain details, that's why.

The figurine in the photo I will be attaching is about 8 cm tall, and I cropped the photo:

And then when I do max zoom, and turn macro mode on, and try to macro, the camera REFUSES to focus. Is it supposed to be that way?

I think its because you already exceded the distance it's capabale of focusing at macro mode...

I am using an add on macro lens, basicly functions like a magnifying glass. Most cameras macro mode does not let you get really close.

Interesting figure BTW.

YOu should refer to your cam manual and find out what is the minimun focusing distance required when you are at macro mode and full zoom. Usually a longer distance required (eg. 50cm) compare to macro mode without zoom (eg.1-5cm). This differs from cam to cam.

Yeah, I know la.. Which is why I asked if I should get add-on lens haha.

Btw, S3 IS claims to have 0 cm macro. Really meh? =D

for S2, i believe so...
    i have seen it being able to focus on a note.
    note was resting on a table, and the lens was ON the note....
    table is glass and backlit, so there was light.

so i believe S3 can macro focus at 0 cm too
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Yeah, I know la.. Which is why I asked if I should get add-on lens haha.

Btw, S3 IS claims to have 0 cm macro. Really meh? =D
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafein View Post
    for S2, i believe so...
    i have seen it being able to focus on a note.
    note was resting on a table, and the lens was ON the note....
    table is glass and backlit, so there was light.

so i believe S3 can macro focus at 0 cm too
    Yup, both S2 & S3 IS have 0 cm macro. You can focus on the dust on your lens.

Quote Originally Posted by cerebrus View Post
    Yup, both S2 & S3 IS have 0 cm macro. You can focus on the dust on your lens.
    Yet another reason why it's superior.

If I have the money.. =D

what i think u should do is, just use ur current camera and have fun using it first! the more u think/plan, the more tempted u would be in buying a new one
    Photo Album - Photo Album

my brother in law has the FZ27 which i use sometimes for its zoom. its not a bad camera, but its slow shot to shot. any a little noisy i find past ISO 400.
    i guess cos im used to a DSLR, i also find it incredibly slow. but the same would apply to most any other prosumer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12