Thread: Recommend cam for Macro

Default Recommend cam for Macro

I'm looking for digital cam <$1k that's good at macro shots (even with auto mode). Some of the key features needed are: very close focal range (<2cm?), able to auto focus even in low light, easy to use macro mode, long batt life, good zoom, big LCD (nice to have), image stabilisation.

Currently I'm eyeing the Canon S3 IS and Sony H5. Can any owners feedback on their macro abilities? Any other recommendations?

Default Re: Recommend cam for Macro

Can both of them take shots 1cm away from the subject? Your requirement right? But compose your shots further away, if can zoom in is fine right?
    From Pentax to 4/3, back to Pentax and then back to M4/3 !?!?

But i won't want to buy a Sony camera & stuck to using Memory Stick Pro Duo. So expensive & not very high speed, not as high as the highest speed SD or CF you can buy.

Cost of Sandisk Memory Stick Pro Duo : 1gb abt $68. 2gb abt $120. 4gb abt $220.

Emm...Canon S3 IS can do macro up to 0 cm.
    Last edited by Moonstone; 20th September 2006 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfox
    I'm looking for digital cam <$1k that's good at macro shots (even with auto mode). Some of the key features needed are: very close focal range (<2cm?), able to auto focus even in low light, easy to use macro mode, long batt life, good zoom, big LCD (nice to have), image stabilisation.

Currently I'm eyeing the Canon S3 IS and Sony H5. Can any owners feedback on their macro abilities? Any other recommendations?
    do note that if you are focusing that close <2cm away from subject, ur flash will not help you since it is covered by the lens. and at that distance most probably ur camera will be covering up the subject making it under shadow, so a ext slave flash would be needed...

personally i would recommand the fz-series because of its sharpness which is really a good characteristic of macro shots. couple with a close up lens like raynox DCR-250 (if not worng thats the model, and is priced around $100 if you get from one of the CS member here) you can basically shoot ants...

Managed to try the S3 at a shop. Can literally stick the lens on the object (0cm range), but not sure if the shot is sharp. The LCD a bit small compared to the H5, but I like the swivel screen. I need something w/o add-ons cos it's for work and to be shared with other users.

Most of the compact digi cams I try seem to have poor auto focusing <10cm away. Currently using the Canon A95. For real closeup, I need to use the manual mode (can be quite troublesome doing all that tweaking) and the pics still look noisy.