Thread: Surprised Hummingbird

Default Surprised Hummingbird

Please critique.

Thank you.

Default Re: Surprised Hummingbird

Jeff, great shot!

You've got the eye focused on, and the moment captured perfectly.

There's two comments I have:

1) The background, i.e., the field, fluffy clouds, and the nice blue sky, doesn't really blend with the bird. If you told me you superimposed the picture of the bird on a perfect backdrop photo, I'd believe it. I know this is not the case, but somehow the bird doesn't blend in well. It stands out too much. Perhaps if there some blades of grass in the foreground or middleground, that would've made the picture blend better.

2) The colors look a little over the top. Great for poster presentations, but not as a photo as a whole. It looks like a graphic art more so than photo art. Perhaps if you could normalize the colors a little, that'd be great.

Cheers,
    GB

agreed on Gunbucker point especially the one on BG... at first i tot you cut out the bird and paste it...

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    agreed on Gunbucker point especially the one on BG... at first i tot you cut out the bird and paste it...
    How come you're so sure it's not?
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    How come you're so sure it's not?
    i guessed it from the very slight blur around the bird's wings which blend nicely into the background... if im wrong than i must say the TS is good at cut and paste

It is a cooked image. I shot the two photos a few days apart & combined them as a composite.

Thank you for your comments.

Great PS skills!

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    i guessed it from the very slight blur around the bird's wings which blend nicely into the background... if im wrong than i must say the TS is good at cut and paste
    Generally, you can achieve this by feathering. I suspected it was a composite because of the variation in the light. Also a shot with this DOF and shutter speed(f16, 1/1000?) is extremely difficult, if not impossible to achieve. Furthermore, what is a humming bird doing in an environment like this?

Nice idea though, have to give you credit for that. The original hummingbird image would probably have been strong on it's own, I find the background unnecessary.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Quote Originally Posted by Stoned
    Nice idea though, have to give you credit for that. The original hummingbird image would probably have been strong on it's own, I find the background unnecessary.
    My sentiments exactly.

Cut and paste one right?

It feels too artificial. Might be an interesting concept but doesn't work, at least for me.

Can make into poster for some inspiration words on the empty space.

Generally the pics are well taken.

the blending with the size of the humming bird together does not look good to me. too much empty space, the eyes do get distracted.

But then some poster with inspirational thoughts are such..

I would love to see the original photo of the humming bird though...........

Thank you to all who posted comments & critiques. I appreciate your input, both negative & positive.

I will try to post the original unmanipulated images in the next day or two.

I understand that the combination of these two images is a bit over the top and the color a bit oversaturated. However, I have sold a few of these and I must say people do stop to take a long look at it.

I used to be a real purest and would never have considered creating anything manipulated. Since the advent of digital I've enjoyed creating images that people enjoy looking at or better yet purchasing. It is truely amazing the amount of creativity we all can introduce into our images working with pixels over film base emulsions. Fun stuff.

Thanks again,
    BluesDude