Thread: Portrait of a Gentleman

Default Portrait of a Gentleman

Hi folks,

Thanks for all your helpful comments on my post a few days back.

I'm quite new to portrait shots (most of the time having to deal with camera-shy subjects). This is a rare instance where a friendly conversation with a fairly relaxed gentleman resulted in his kind consent to me taking his portrait.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20483169@N00/246640140/

Pls give your comments and suggestions. And as always, all feedback is greatly appreciated

Thanks!
    GB

Default Re: Portrait of a Gentleman

The wrists. I find the pink of the bouganvillea a bid odd of a choice of BG also. Just some thoughts.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

Hi Stoned,

Thanks for the feedback. I had a little dilemma on the crop. The original shot had his full hands exposed. I felt including the hands might make the frame larger than it needed to be. I'll experiment with the crop again.

As for the background, if you look carefully, you'll notice it is a public toilet, LOL! The greeks really have a good sense of aesthetics to garnish a public toilet entrance with flora and fawna.

Those pink flowers were favoured by the locals there where you'll find many a house having their garden walls decorated with them. It's actually not surprising as 95% of the houses there are painted white. So I decided to include them in the shot, something typical of Santorini.

Cheers,
    GB

the background is not bad. but it distracts from the portrait. iw ould have preferred a much closer crop.

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    the background is not bad. but it distracts from the portrait. iw ould have preferred a much closer crop.
    Jdredd, very good point. On hindsight, I would have rather used a larger aperture, somewhere in the tunes of f/5.6 or f/4 with a tighter framing. This way, the foreground subject's placement with the loud background can still be portrayed without the pink flowers distracting too much. Thanks!