Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie considering DSLR

Default Re: Newbie considering DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by darrrrrrrrrr
    Hi everyone, my first post here.. I'm considering picking up DSLR photography and I'm doing a bit of shopping right now. Not exactly sure which camera's best for entry-level with possible room for expansion in the future. Going out to test with Timber_Wolf this weekend, and I've read possibly every single review there is online. Just would like to hear some opinions from you all.

Here's what I'm looking at so far:
    Pentax K100D
    Pentax K10D (but it's probably going to take awhile to arrive, at an unknown price, and it may even end up in shortage for quite a while?)
    Sony A100
    Nikon D50/70s/80 (okay D80 is a little out of my budget)
    Canon 400D

Hoping not to spend too close to $2k since I'm just starting out. Advice? Thanks

Darren
    Please take a look at Buy & Sell section, personally, I will recommend Nikon or Canon, there are loads of Nikon and Canon users here, you can easily get some stuff here... since you are starting, not sure of your future path, 2nd hand is a good bet. D50, D70 & 350D are all value for money especially in the 2nd Hand market, for example, for less than $700, you can get a good D50, D70 and 350D body to start off, invest in better lens, external flash. Only then you can play around, should your interest really take off, you can go for better body. A good starter kit for Nikon (In my opinion) is D50/70 + 18-200VR... you have loads of option from this lense.

I'm just a little apprehensive about making such a large initial purchase on a second-hand good. The previous owner may have taken painstaking care in looking after the body, but you never know for sure, and what may go wrong.

Probably just a little paranoia on my part, and buying a brand new camera would give me peace of mind.. maybe next time will consider B&S for lobang.

I'm just a little apprehensive about making such a large initial purchase on a second-hand good. The previous owner may have taken painstaking care in looking after the body, but you never know for sure, and what may go wrong.

Probably just a little paranoia on my part, and buying a brand new camera would give me peace of mind.. maybe next time will consider B&S for lobang.
    Yes, buying from 2nd Market is a huge risk, try getting the body only for your Cam and get a 18-200VR (If getting Nikon)... a little more than $2k, but you will not regret over this lens...

Actually, the cameras listed are all very capable machines. But other than the lenses and features that comes with each system, an important thing to note is the service support for the cameras. In my personal opinion, among the brands, Canon probably has the fastest turn-around time for service and Nikon is not far behind. I'm not so sure about Pentax though, but there's still a number of loyal users around.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Had my heart set on the K100d after trying it out hands-on. Unfortunately the parents have vetoed the decision, so the DSLR purchase will have to wait a few years..

Thanks everyone for the advice. Had my heart set on the K100d after trying it out hands-on. Unfortunately the parents have vetoed the decision, so the DSLR purchase will have to wait a few years..
    Good for you.

Anyway I like the analogy of marriage when purchasing a camera. I bought a Nikon FE2 in 1984 and became more or less stuck with Nikon. Who would change system, or could change system, when you have lenses from 20mm to 400mm with flash, fixed focal and zoom lenses?

Some bias is obvious here, but if you take a look through the B&S section, just take a count of Pentax equipment available there. More people offering Nikons and Canons for sale doesn't mean the equipment are bad, simply more people are playing them. Buy a Pentax you might regret it, as you might not be able to buy anything second hand to play. And you might also not find anyone to buy your ware when you decide to ditch it.

Personally I don't know about Sony and KM products - KM was such a late comer to the DSLR scene and gone burst so quickly. You'll have to see if Sony can be successful (I believe they share the same lens mount).

Bottom line - limit yourself (if you come back this way) to Canon or Nikon. Stay off Pentax unless you are likely to be a one-lens man, one-camera man, for a long long time. If you play with your toys, you can only go with the big 2.

Quote Originally Posted by diediealsomustdive View Post
    Good for you.

Bottom line - limit yourself (if you come back this way) to Canon or Nikon.
    Thanks for that.. just have to wait and see if the market shakes itself up within the next couple of years. Actually I was intending to get one/max two lenses and not get myself into the equipment-buying cycle, but maybe when I'm back considering DSLRs I'll have the ability to factor in buying and selling of equipment hehe.

I must add, out of those that I picked up, the D70S felt the best in my hands.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12