Thread: Prosumer or DSLR?!

Default Prosumer or DSLR?!

Not realy in to photography (yet?) but am wondering if I should get a Prosumer (like G6,7?) or DSLR camera (D400?) ?

Have been just using a Ixus 400 all this while... but want to take:

1) Better indoor shots - i.e. day or night, but generally lower light. With the Ixus night mode, you definitely need a tripod and/or for the subject to hold still

2) Action shots - not hardcore, but when I go to triathlons etc it would be nice to capture nice shots of friends coming in.

I know the DSLR would be able to do all of the above, but would the Prosumer be able to?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Default Re: Prosumer or DSLR?!

Quote Originally Posted by elty19
    Not realy in to photography (yet?) but am wondering if I should get a Prosumer (like G6,7?) or DSLR camera (D400?) ?

1) Better indoor shots - i.e. day or night, but generally lower light. With the Ixus night mode, you definitely need a tripod and/or for the subject to hold still

2) Action shots - not hardcore, but when I go to triathlons etc it would be nice to capture nice shots of friends coming in.

I know the DSLR would be able to do all of the above, but would the Prosumer be able to?

since you not sure if you will go into photography yet, it is better to get a prosumer for it lower cost.

If budget is low start from a prosumer and slowly pick up from there.

now got 2nd hand D50(s) in B&S ard $800.

Quote Originally Posted by renegade150
    now got 2nd hand D50(s) in B&S ard $800.
    At this price, you might wanna get the D50 instead of a prosumer.

If you decide manual photography is not for you, the D50 still has the auto and preset modes for simple photography. Only thing it lose out to a prosumer is no movie mode.

go with prosumer, dslr low cost is just the start of more $ to spend...if u have no budget to bother then go dlsr.

If budget is not a problem, get a DSLR!

I have a Sony F828 for 2 months before deciding that a DSLR gives me everything I need.

thanks guys! have heard that DSLR is the start of more spending $$$$ ..lenses... flashes.. etc!! So scared that it might become another ex hobby!! Thinking of possibly getting the new Fuji Top end prosumer... 9100 or something! Out in Oct! Anyone have exp with those? Would they be able to take nice indoor relatively low light shots?

thanks guys! have heard that DSLR is the start of more spending $$$$ ..lenses... flashes.. etc!! So scared that it might become another ex hobby!! Thinking of possibly getting the new Fuji Top end prosumer... 9100 or something! Out in Oct! Anyone have exp with those? Would they be able to take nice indoor relatively low light shots?
    you already said out in oct, so who will have experience? unless those that goes the secret path
    but my advise would still be the same as my previous post. if you are ain't sure you will stay in this hobby for long, a prosumer will do. but if you are sure, getting a dSLR straight would be more cost economic than upgrading in future

i meant anyone tried the current fuji prosumer or equivalent? (i.e. can they take nice low light shots? thanks for your advice anyway!! Valuable!

Smile Re: Prosumer or DSLR?!

A good Prosumer camera should do the job, No need to spend unwanted $$ on DSLR where list of things to buy just goes endless!

If you can wait...go for the Canon G7. It has a hotshoes for external flash, very useful when you need nice flash photo.

If you think u'll take a lot of low-light shots, maybe the new fuji compacts may suit u. Think their high ISO noise is pretty well-controlled.

Otherwise, compacts and prosumers are known to be pretty bad with high ISO noise. DSLR will yield much better results even at ISO1600.

Additionally, DSLR can mount hotshoe flashes, which when used properly can give much better results than built-in flashes.

One thing D50 loses out to prosumers though, is the lack of image stablization. To get that feature, u'll have to spend on VR lenses.
    Videographer @ A Merry Moment

If you can't wait... go for S9500. But it doesn't offer external TTL flash so you must also take this into consideration.

Thanks for the great tips guys! This forum rocks! sounds more and more like a Prosumer would meet my needs... looking at the fuji new 9100 Prosumer.. since Fuji is known (or marketted, haha) to be able to take low light/action shots well.. even for lower end consumer cams?

Now just waiting for G7 or 9100 to come out and read the reviews!

If you can get away with using the prosumer you dont need a dslr. Of course the dslr is more capable but also bigger and more expensive. You can stick to a low end dslr and the kit lens and its still better than a prosumer.