View Poll Results: Full Frame or Cropped Sensor

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full Frame Sensor

    51 64.56%
  • Cropped Sensor

    28 35.44%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

  1. #1

    Default DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

    If price between the 2 is about the same (less than S$1k diff) and spec & performance almost same, which will you go for?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Niccon
    If price between the 2 is about the same (less than S$1k diff) and spec & performance almost same, which will you go for?
    Tough choice, but I enjoy tele work and the way the crop factor seems to 'magnify' subjects and make them appear closer. It's a cheap way to get the reach of the expensive 500mm and 600mm lenses.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Jurong Lake District - West
    Posts
    897

    Default Re: DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

    no choice for no preference ?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

    It depends.... if you are for wide-angle, get full-frame. You can get the wides with no worry that it would not be crop to give you a non-wideangle. If you are for telephoto, get crop sensor. The overall of a crop sensor with a lens will be actually be greater than the stated focal. But if you shoot portraits, lenses like 70-200mm with full-frame is very useful. I love telephoto work so I get the cropped ones.
    Last edited by snapperkid; 17th September 2006 at 09:44 AM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

    I like the shallower DOF possible on the FF cam In fact it is the main reason why I upgreaded from my S3 IS to D80...

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    377

    Default Re: DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

    D80 is full frame?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Town of Queens doing PORT-9YOU
    Posts
    12,716

    Default Re: DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

    I want a FF cam, w/1.5x, 2x, 3x, 4x crop.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

    Quote Originally Posted by AJ23
    I want a FF cam, w/1.5x, 2x, 3x, 4x crop.
    why not? just do a batch post-process crop.

    anyway if im given a choice as to choosing FF or cropped camera (1k diff), i will take the cropped one... since im just a poor student and 1k is ALOT.

  9. #9
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

    Obviously the FF camera will be at an advantage to the cropped camera - assuming price is the same. For those who think that a cropped camera is beter because of the "tele" effect, the same can be gotten on a FF cam, just crop the centre youself and viola, a tele effect from the FF cam.

    AJ's wish for a 1.5x crop 2xcrop etc is much better than using PS to batch crop - first, you get to shoot RAW with a smaller file size (don't have to save the whole FF RAW), ie, more shots per card, second, you dont waste time doing batch. I also second FF with options for crop

  10. #10
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

    Hmm, does DOF change from a FF cam to a Cropped cam? It should remain the same isn't it?

    Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut
    I like the shallower DOF possible on the FF cam In fact it is the main reason why I upgreaded from my S3 IS to D80...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Hmm, does DOF change from a FF cam to a Cropped cam? It should remain the same isn't it?
    erm same, but just that with a FF you got more area around the blurred area which makes it looks like the sharp area occupied a smaller amount of space from a picture

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Hmm, does DOF change from a FF cam to a Cropped cam? It should remain the same isn't it?
    In an extreme scenario, we can compare small, fixed-lens compacts with a FF DSLR. Photos from compacts demonstrate huge DOF at any aperture because the lens itself is very small...focal length is perhaps 5.4mm to 16.7mm, or something like that. Because the 'crop' factor on the compact cam is probably 6X or more, it will still yield the FOV of a 35-105mm lens.

    Compare this to a FF DSLR or film camera when you'll need a 'true' 35-105mm lens. DOF is decreased when focal length is increased. Assuming we stand at the same distance from the subject and get the same subject size, the DOF from a FF will be less.

    Maybe it's confusing because I can't explain things well. But to put things shortly, you will probably get better DOF control on a camera with a bigger sensor because you'll need a longer focal length lens to get the same FOV.

  13. #13
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

    Hmm I get your point of view, I was assuming that the exact same lens was used since the original poster said he changed his camera from a cropped one to a FF to get shallower DOF - again based on the assumption that the same lens was used.

    Quote Originally Posted by fWord
    In an extreme scenario, we can compare small, fixed-lens compacts with a FF DSLR. Photos from compacts demonstrate huge DOF at any aperture because the lens itself is very small...focal length is perhaps 5.4mm to 16.7mm, or something like that. Because the 'crop' factor on the compact cam is probably 6X or more, it will still yield the FOV of a 35-105mm lens.

    Compare this to a FF DSLR or film camera when you'll need a 'true' 35-105mm lens. DOF is decreased when focal length is increased. Assuming we stand at the same distance from the subject and get the same subject size, the DOF from a FF will be less.

    Maybe it's confusing because I can't explain things well. But to put things shortly, you will probably get better DOF control on a camera with a bigger sensor because you'll need a longer focal length lens to get the same FOV.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Hmm I get your point of view, I was assuming that the exact same lens was used since the original poster said he changed his camera from a cropped one to a FF to get shallower DOF - again based on the assumption that the same lens was used.
    den it will be what i said... if the same lens/focal length was used on a FF and cropped.
    the FF will basically have the extra pixel at the edge which is actually cropped by a crop sensor camera(normally blurred due to DOF)

  15. #15
    Senior Member King Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In the heart of SengKang
    Posts
    5,882

    Default Re: DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Niccon
    If price between the 2 is about the same (less than S$1k diff) and spec & performance almost same, which will you go for?
    Full Frame of course, if it is less than $1k diff.

    But doesn't matter to me, of course.
    War is one of the most regrettable human activities.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NTU and Wdls
    Posts
    2,622

    Default Re: DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

    Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut
    I like the shallower DOF possible on the FF cam In fact it is the main reason why I upgreaded from my S3 IS to D80...
    Hmmmm total contradiction ya.. If you upgraded to a canon dSLR it'd make more sense...

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NTU and Wdls
    Posts
    2,622

    Default Re: DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    den it will be what i said... if the same lens/focal length was used on a FF and cropped.
    the FF will basically have the extra pixel at the edge which is actually cropped by a crop sensor camera(normally blurred due to DOF)
    but why would anyone want to compare the DOF of a cropped sensor 28mm (35mm equivilant) lens against a FF 18mm POV? It only make sense to compare against direct equivilants.

    Following the throw of argument, you're comparing DOF of (actual lenses) 18mm vs 28mm, or 50mm vs 75mm, or 100mm vs 150mm.. FF you'll definitely have a shallower DOF.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

    Quote Originally Posted by unseen
    but why would anyone want to compare the DOF of a cropped sensor 28mm (35mm equivilant) lens against a FF 18mm POV? It only make sense to compare against direct equivilants.

    Following the throw of argument, you're comparing DOF of (actual lenses) 18mm vs 28mm, or 50mm vs 75mm, or 100mm vs 150mm.. FF you'll definitely have a shallower DOF.
    eh yup, but this was what he was asking
    Hmm I get your point of view, I was assuming that the exact same lens was used since the original poster said he changed his camera from a cropped one to a FF to get shallower DOF - again based on the assumption that the same lens was used.

  19. #19

    Default Re: DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

    this choice is more to Canon users, Nikonians has no/limited option when it comes to crop & full frame DLSR.
    Last edited by Pinoy_SAP; 17th September 2006 at 03:12 PM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,350

    Default Re: DSLR users, do you prefer FF or Crop Sensor?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy_SAP
    this choice is more to Canon users, Nikonians has no/limited option when it comes to crop & full frame DLSR.
    Hopefully Nikon will soon provide a choice of a FF DSLR. With this thorn in Canon's flesh, and the competition amongst all producers, prices will certainly fall. Unfortunately this also means that things advance rapidly. Regardless of what we buy (with the exception perhaps, of the most expensive models), and when, it'll be outdated within months to a year. It's a scary thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •