Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canon EOS 400D or Nikon D50/D70s?

Default Re: help in buying - d80 or 400D?

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    why wait forever? I said stick to A700 till after NS mah. NS time is not your own time... you'll never know when you are "free" to shoot. So no point keeping in dry-cab whe you kena stuck in camp or training.
    You originally said "The idea is to wait as long as you possibly can before spending on a DSLR, cus something better is juz round the corner."

I interpreted that as "Wait for a better product"!

Sorry I'm not familiar with the workings of the singapore NS!

Cheers
    Sing

Quote Originally Posted by irrelevance View Post
    You originally said "The idea is to wait as long as you possibly can before spending on a DSLR, cus something better is juz round the corner."

I interpreted that as "Wait for a better product"!

Sorry I'm not familiar with the workings of the singapore NS!

Cheers
    Sing

NS = conscript soilders.

about 2 years of all Sg males.
    Last edited by CYRN; 3rd November 2006 at 11:17 PM.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by thw View Post
    The best advice I have ever seen in this forum. Heed it.
    yup....save it....after yr NS...if u save everything you got...next time you will be asking Canon 40D or Nikon D300

but if you must...personally I would go D80....there's a review somewhere....hmmm....ok..here u go..hope this will give u a better idea..

Nikon D80 vs Canon 400D

400d no spot metering..unless your exp compensation feel very gd else u get headache when it comes to a brightly lit backdrop and dark subject....

and if u play with lightings...D80 gives wireless commander mode but flash recycle time is slower than 400D

but when it comes to pic quality wise...canon is better known for its pic sharpness.

now its yr choice go test...if yr hand big..u may not like the feel of 400D

personal view...

see which cam give u a better feel..u are the one holding the cam, so u must feel comfortable taking photos with the camera.

400D is more suitable for ladies as it is small, better grip for them.
    1Dmk3,EF{16-35/24-70/70-200/300IS}F2.8L|100-400IS|TSE24F3.5L|MPE65|180F3.5L|50F1.4|35F1.4L|100 F2.8}

i'm a sucker for smaller cams...so i got the 400d.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

NSman? I suggest you buy a used Canon 350D or Nikon D50/70 to save money. I have seen used Canon 350D going for as cheap as $799 at the 2nd hand shop next to Cathay Photo at Peninsular, you might wanna check it out, great value.

IMO, the d80 is in every way a better cam than the 400D except for the noise control, unless you have very small hands. I do not encounter much dust problem on my 20D sensor so I guess the 400D dust reduction system may not be that crucial.

However, there is more to the equation as you are about to commit to a system, so you need to think ahead. Already some people are opting for the sony alpha and the pentax syatem as they both have the in-camera stabilization control of which the 2 camera giants are reluctant to adopt due to their IS/VR lens. Of course you hope that competition will eventully force them to incorporate similar strategy as they already have the technology in place.

So I guess I did not provide you with any solution but more problem... Anyway, you should try enjoy the thought process also as it is part and puzzle of this hobby.

Have try out 400D too small, D80 feel solid but made in thailand, so finally go for 30D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    Have try out 400D too small, D80 feel solid but made in thailand, so finally go for 30D.
    what's wrong with made in thailand, may i ask? it's the QC which matters, not the originating country of manufacture.

No offend, I did encounter problem with some products that why I don't dare to try it anymore. Sorry if I did offend anyone.

Anyway Some of my friends are using the D60, 70s and the 80 and the picture result is good and so far didn't heard any problem from them.

Nikon D50 u mean... there's no D60...

Canon D30 and D60 have.

wow - that's quite a load of comprehensive replies. thanks so much!

i'm more geared toward getting a d80 because i like the feel. but is it really worth an extra $400 or so more?

or is the price difference largely due to the larger kit lens?

regards
    andrew

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjizeng View Post

i'm more geared toward getting a d80 because i like the feel. but is it really worth an extra $400 or so more?

regards
    andrew
    If you prefer the feel of the Nikon then go for it. Don't worry so much about the features as all entry level DSLR's have around the same amount of features. Both systems are equally good.
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjizeng View Post

regards
    andrew
    no regrets after getting the D80 over 400D, well worth the price !! ^^

what's the rrp for D80?

Quote Originally Posted by biggulp View Post
    what's wrong with made in thailand, may i ask? it's the QC which matters, not the originating country of manufacture.
    Generally it is the working attitude of the workforce in those countries. Japan are known for workers that put career before their family their life!

Anyway, I insist looking into the entire Canon and Nikon system (Lenses/Flash) before buying.
    This would greatly consider options should you intent to upgrade in future.

The d80 kit lens is way better than the 400d kit lens. the 400d kit lens is the same lousy 18-55mm lens as the 350d. You can see how much the lens is worth in the resale market, about $40-50 mebbe?

The d80 kit lens 18-135 has a much better range and image quality. this lens will last you for some time before you buy your second lens. it is a good walk-around lens if you don't need a large aperture. the resale market of the lens is about $300 so you know the quality.

for photographic equipment, its price = quality.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123