Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon EOS 400D or Nikon D50/D70s?

Default Re: Canon EOS 400D or Nikon D50/D70s?

there should be a moderator ban on shall i get xyz canon or abc nikon threads ... without the poster having searcehd first...

Quote Originally Posted by jdredd
    there should be a moderator ban on shall i get xyz canon or abc nikon threads ... without the poster having searcehd first...
    I think most who posted such question did their homework, the only problem with them is choosing... I want the best out of my bucks... frankly, if you are truely new to DSLR and do not own any previous accessories.... either one (D50/D70s or 350D,400D) will do for you...
    End of the day, you can even get best DSLR camera in the brand, but if you do know how to use it, it does not make a difference between compact and a DSLR... Likewise, when I first started... "well I did not post here asking what to buy, but I did my own research and see what is best for me, once I got my DSLR, I move on... I look forward to shoot with it and how to improve my framing rather than looking for what body to upgrade, that will come when you reach another level where your current system no longer able to match your capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by devilboy View Post
    I think most who posted such question did their homework, the only problem with them is choosing... I want the best out of my bucks... frankly, if you are truely new to DSLR and do not own any previous accessories.... either one (D50/D70s or 350D,400D) will do for you...
    End of the day, you can even get best DSLR camera in the brand, but if you do know how to use it, it does not make a difference between compact and a DSLR... Likewise, when I first started... "well I did not post here asking what to buy, but I did my own research and see what is best for me, once I got my DSLR, I move on... I look forward to shoot with it and how to improve my framing rather than looking for what body to upgrade, that will come when you reach another level where your current system no longer able to match your capabilities.

Lets not kick people who ask for advise. For beginners, it does get confusing selecting a camera (brand) even after doing a lot of research. Infact more you read about it, more confusing it gets. Hopefully we can give them some unbiased advise to help them take the final step. People do need a reassurance when they are about to spend a lot of money on a DSLR.

I would say image quality wise all cameras are equal for beginners. They are limited by their own skills. They should base their decision on
    - Starting budget (including body and kitlens). Sticking to budget is important. Its very easy to overspend.
    - Feel of the camera. You should feel like picking it up frequently and going out to shoot more.

Reading these forums you might get bogged down by a lot of "interesting" equipment talk. Ignore that for now. Concentrate on images you create. Check out pics others have posted.
    Post your own images for critique. Go to the council libraries to read photography related books.

Enjoy photography.

Quote Originally Posted by rahul View Post

Lets not kick people who ask for advise. For beginners, it does get confusing selecting a camera (brand) even after doing a lot of research. Infact more you read about it, more confusing it gets. Hopefully we can give them some unbiased advise to help them take the final step. People do need a reassurance when they are about to spend a lot of money on a DSLR.

Enjoy photography.
    Especially for newbies like me. This really helps and not those negative remarks ... ban those. IMHO, from a newbie.
    D700|D300|24-70 f2.8|28-300 VRII|20-35 f/2.8|85 f/1.4|18-200VR|Toki 100 f/2.8 Macro|

Quote Originally Posted by devilboy View Post
    thats the point im making. you see, if they did do their homework, they would be able to frame their questions more specifically.

otherwise. its an impossible questionto answer. because which one of us can say honestly that one mount is truly better than the other - and here im referring to all the DSLR's and not just the big 2. because all have advantages and disadvantages. there are so many factors and considerations at play in choosing a mount. that is why im loathe to tell people get canon, or get nikon, unless it appears from their preferences that that is the mount that would suit them. i mean, to me, probably the best entry level DSLR right now is the new pentax... its got everything and weather sealed to boot. but theres of course a limited lens range et etc...

the last thing i want to do, is to just blindly recommend something to someone, then it turns out once they figure out what they want, they realise they made the wrong choice.

thats why i really dont think its helpful for people to frame such open ended questions here.. because the answers are not given from their perspective but from ours.

Blog Entries

no need to think, save a bit more and get the D80
    your eyes will thank you in the long run

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjizeng View Post
    hello hello all,

i'm thinking of getting one of the cameras listed above.
    can somebody tell me which is the best in terms of:

1. value for money
    2. image quality
    3. image processor
    4. add-ons: capabilities & price
    5. overall ease of use

thanks!

regards,
    andrew
    mynameisjizeng,

What kind of photography do you aim to do? I think this would make a difference as both the 350D and 400D have 1.6X Field of View Crop Factor (FOVCF) while the D50, D70, D80 all have 1.5X FOVCF.

If you like taking photos that requires a great depth-of-field like landscape, you should choose one of the Nikon cameras. Or, if you have to stand very far away from the subject in order to get that perfect photograph, you should consider the Canon cameras.

If you're not too sure about this FOVCF thing, you can check this out.

I have also noticed that Canon produces more lenses on the 'telephoto' side, and also, is cheaper, somewhat of good build and image quality, PLUS the ultrasonic motor (USM) which will come in very useful when you want to ensure your subject remains as candid as possible.

Anyway, if you guys think any of my information here is wrong, feel free to correct me. Just like mynameisjizeng here, I'm also looking for a new SLR, so you could say I'm pretty noob at this kind of stuff... hehe..

Well, if it helps, I'm settling on the 400D because of the field of photography that I wish to pursue. But I have to admit, those Nikon bodies are not only cheap, but they're so much more beautiful and ergonomic than the 350D and 400D (the grip on the Nikon vs the roughened grip on the Canon).

If I want that kind of comfort from a Nikon camera, I have to spend like 300 more dollars to invest in the BG-E3 battery grip...

I hope I've helped in your choice, mynameisjizeng!

Meng-yih

Default help in buying - D80 or 400D?

hello hello all,

i know there's probably a similar thread somewhere else, but i cant seem to find it..

i'm a fairly new photographer currently using a canon A700. thinking of getting a basic DSLR to enhance photography and hone the skills involved. can somebody please tell me which camera to get?
    i only go around taking photographs maybe 5-8 times per month due to NS. not in dire need for a camera with high mp.

What's the main difference between the canon 400D and the nikon D80, besides the better handling of the d80? what does the price difference of $400+++ give?

given my rate of usage, would it be better and wiser for me to get a D50 and spend more on better lenses + flash?

thanks!

regards, andrew

Default Re: help in buying - D80 or 400D?

hey! if you dont mind me riding on this thread, but i'm also using for a A700 and looking for a dSLR to start with! Anybody care to enlighten us on this?

Default Re: help in buying - D80 or 400D?

Whatever body you decide to get, you are buying a lens system.

Your D50, D80, 300D, 350D, 400D will all be obsolete and worth 25-40% of what you paid in 3 years time and <20% in 5 years time. A D30 cost over $3000 5 years ago is now worth $400.

However, your lenses will still be worth 70-80% of what you pay now in 2 years time (esp if they are the better lenses). In 5 years time, perhaps still worth 60%. And still give you good images.

If you can afford it, get a mid range body (D80, 400D) and good lenses.

If you don't shoot that much and don't want to spend so much, and don't want too much depreciation, then look for a 1 to 2-year old D70/D70S or 300/350D for under $1000 and get some decent lenses (perhaps even new ones).

Default Help in buying - D80 or 400D?

hello hello all,

i know there's probably a similar thread somewhere else, but i cant seem to find it..

i'm a fairly new photographer currently using a canon A700. thinking of getting a basic DSLR to enhance photography and hone the skills involved. can somebody please tell me which camera to get?
    i only go around taking photographs maybe 5-8 times per month due to NS. not in dire need for a camera with high mp.

What's the main difference between the canon 400D and the nikon D80, besides the better handling of the d80? what does the price difference of $400+++ give?

given my rate of usage, would it be better and wiser for me to get a D50 and spend more on better lenses + flash?

thanks!

regards, andrew

Default help in buying - d80 or 400D?

hello hello all,

thanks!

regards, andrew

Blog Entries

Default Re: help in buying - d80 or 400D?

why not just go down to a shop and try it out yourself?

you're in the canon subforum, so 400D would be the answer to your question
    eat. drink. shoot

I'm recommending you to stick with your A700 till after your NS. The idea is to wait as long as you possibly can before spending on a DSLR, cus something better is juz round the corner.

Since you are fairly new, get your basics right first and A700 is good enough to show you the limitation of a camera.

If you dun understand and work within constraints... 1DsM2 will also not be sufficient.

Another reason is that I've seen example of DSLRs collecting dust when owners are otherwise committed.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    I'm recommending you to stick with your A700 till after your NS. The idea is to wait as long as you possibly can before spending on a DSLR, cus something better is juz round the corner.
    Hee then you'll be waiting forever!

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/1...st/index.shtml

Here's a comparison of 3 dSLRs on the market ATM. I think the conclusion is - it depends. I'm looking for a dSLR that is light and travels well, takes good night shots at high ISO w/ low noise, is compatible with my lens collection, as well as something that can share accessories with my powershot G7 - so I go for the canon. If not i would go for the sony, only downside is the lousy design (IMO)

Cheers
    Sing

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    Since you are fairly new, get your basics right first and A700 is good enough to show you the limitation of a camera. If you dun understand and work within constraints... 1DsM2 will also not be sufficient.
    The best advice I have ever seen in this forum. Heed it.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisjizeng View Post
    i only go around taking photographs maybe 5-8 times per month due to NS.
    As it is, you're shooting more frequently than most of us in the forum

Nikon D80 is your budget is higher. Though then a 30D, 2nd hand would be that price.

30D better noise control, specs-wise is similar to D80, e.g.: spot metering.

Nikon D80 vs Canon 400D. 400D loses a slight bit in terms of technical specifications but makes up for very good noise control. D80 viewfinder is superior over 400D.

Both camera lacks of IS/VR in bodies. Both N & C offers good range of lenses. 3rd party also a plenty.

You can research more on the net and of course try both cameras at the shop.

All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by irrelevance View Post
    Hee then you'll be waiting forever!

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/1...st/index.shtml

Here's a comparison of 3 dSLRs on the market ATM. I think the conclusion is - it depends. I'm looking for a dSLR that is light and travels well, takes good night shots at high ISO w/ low noise, is compatible with my lens collection, as well as something that can share accessories with my powershot G7 - so I go for the canon. If not i would go for the sony, only downside is the lousy design (IMO)

Cheers
    Sing

why wait forever? I said stick to A700 till after NS mah. NS time is not your own time... you'll never know when you are "free" to shoot. So no point keeping in dry-cab whe you kena stuck in camp or training.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast