Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Olympus E500 better than Canon 350D? In what ways?

Default Re: Olympus E500 better than Canon 350D? In what ways?

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    BTW, if you want a SUPER wide angle lens wider than the 11-22mm oly lens, it is VERY expensive. That is one of the disadvantage of oly lens system. Canon and nikon have third party lens like the 10-20mm sigma.

The main advantage of olympus I feel is their 14-54mm and 50-200mm lens. Very good quality, not too expensive, and LIGHT easy to carry. With these two lens you can cover from 28-400mm.

Still given a choice I would probably get the 400D if the dust buster in 400D is as good as oly's. One thing to note is that the 400D has the 30D auto-focusing unit which I think is a HUGE plus. Auto focus accuracy for me is one of the most impt factors. No matter how super your lens is, if your focusing is a bit off.... the picture will be soft.
    Agreed ! 14-54 and 50-200 mm are the best lenses I've own so far !

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    Still given a choice I would probably get the 400D if the dust buster in 400D is as good as oly's. One thing to note is that the 400D has the 30D auto-focusing unit which I think is a HUGE plus. Auto focus accuracy for me is one of the most impt factors. No matter how super your lens is, if your focusing is a bit off.... the picture will be soft.
    Actually Oly's AF system is very accurate, if slow (note: only S-AF, C-AF can be quite irritating).

The main problem I feel is that it suffers from hunting quite a bit in low-light, low contrast conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor1
    Very true regarding the auto focusing unit. For those who read my 11-22mm thread before, it seems that my E-500 backfocused in shady(dim light?) conditions. Thus causing my whole picture to look OOF.
    The only time I had this problem with AF was when I tried to use all three AF points. The camera selects one of the side points and due to the composition the center is out of focus. That was the reason to turn off all but the center. Now I lock the focus and compose the picture. The only problem with that is that the center point is not always good, especially for horizontal stripes with low contrast. In that case twisting the camera 45-90 degrees to focus lock ususally helps.

The two AF points on the side catches the focus at once in that situation according to my tests. I don't find low light as a problem. Low contrast is on the other hand a big problem, even in the shades under a tree in bright sunlight outdoors.

Hi pple,

I went shopping at Funan today, and held the E-500 in my hand... STILL a bit small for my liking... but at least i have eliminated the E-330 from my list, due to an uncomfortable hold/grip...

BUT... i didn't realise that the E-500 was made in China, the Zuiko kit lens as well... i thot they were made in Japan? Any quality concerns here?

Got some queries though:

1. Is there a battery grip available for the E-500?

2. I was told by the shop that Manual Focusing can ONLY be used when I select "M" Mode... is that correct?

Thanks,
    Eric
    Last edited by cire07; 18th September 2006 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cire07
    Hi pple,

I went shopping at Funan today, and held the E-500 in my hand... STILL a bit small for my liking... but at least i have eliminated the E-330 from my list, due to an uncomfortable hold/grip...

BUT... i didn't realise that the E-500 was made in China, the Zuiko kit lens as well... i thot they were made in Japan? Any quality concerns here?

Got some queries though:

2. I was told by the shop that Manual Focusing can ONLY be used when I select "M" Mode... is that correct?

Thanks,
    Eric
    1. No battery grip.
    2. Nah.. just change the focusing method to MF or SAF+MF or etc. then u can focus manually.

E500 kit is made in china. but 40-150mm is made in japan. there is no problem with the quality. there are many comparisons on the kit lens vs other makes. Oly kit lens are very highly rated! so no worries there.

... i didn't realise that the E-500 was made in China, the Zuiko kit lens as well... i thot they were made in Japan? Any quality concerns here?
    Depands on what you call "kit lens". The dual zoom kit here in Sweden has two zooms, 14-45mm which is made in China and the 40-150mm which is made in Japan. The more you pay for glass the better it gets. From what I hear, the E-500 kit has better glasses than the 350D has if you stick to the standard Canon lens. If you upgrade the 350D than you should compare with Oly 14-54 and 50-200 which is one step up on the line. I think the overall quality of the kit lenses are very good, especially for that price.

As say123 says, no grip. I did a home made prototype and that improves AF speed many times, so I am planning to make a better one at a later stage if Oly is not going to give us one soon.

Which brand did he/she try to sell you? M mode and MF has nothing to do with each other. You have both in any combination independantly of each other. Don't seem to be much knowledge on Olympus in that shop. Don't return to them unless they have the best price on earth. I personally prefer to pay a bit more in my local shop just to help the guy because knowledge costs money. And I think that is well invested money.

Another thing that the E-500 does not have is the wire remote. I have no idea if the 350D has that or not, but I'd rather have wired remote than the stupid wireless IR that Oly promotes. Even the E-3XX has only through the battery grip. Don't ask me why this stupid decision.

If only Oly have enough complains from users will they add a IR reciever at the back of the cam. How many ppl actually take a picture of themself via the remote? Blu wants the remote to be operatable from the back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blu-By-U
    How many ppl actually take a picture of themself via the remote? Blu wants the remote to be operatable from the back!!!
    During travels, I do that all the time with camera mounted on tripod. The other tourists can't be trusted to take photo of myself and family.

Quote Originally Posted by tao
    During travels, I do that all the time with camera mounted on tripod. The other tourists can't be trusted to take photo of myself and family.
    Aren't you afraid that people might run away with your camera and tripod or knock them over while your whole family is posed in front of it some distance away, leaving it unattended?

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat
    Aren't you afraid that people might run away with your camera and tripod or knock them over while your whole family is posed in front of it some distance away, leaving it unattended?
    No. It isn't that far anyway. Certainly depends on which country I am visiting. The last trip was in NZ, where you can only find sheeps to help you take photos!!

Quote Originally Posted by OlyFlyer
    I think the best camera is the one one have. If you are new to SLR all together, I guess both are equally good. One is better in one thing the other is better in something else. If you had Olympus SLR before and you plan to keep your old lenses than E-500 is better because you can reuse all the stuff. If you had a Canon SLR before, I guess than Canon is better for the same reason. I have no idea if Canon has also lens adapter, but my guess is yes. I have an E-500 since April and I am happy with it. I reuse all my old stuff, lenses, extension tubes, flashes and so on. The E-500 has a built in "dust buster" (SSWF) while the 350D has none, so one must be prepared to visit a shop to get the CCD cleaned. You could do it by yourself but risking of scratching the surface.

Those were the some of the reasons for me to go for Oly. If I had to start from scratch, I would have started with Nikon D70 or D200. Another reason was the price. I had a very good deal on the E-500. Now that is actually different here in Sweden, the 350D has dropped the price by about 30% since April, and is actually cheaper than the E-500. The E-500 is about 10% more expensive today than in April. Again, that is valid for where I live here in Sweden.

Oly has a more stable production line, not pushing new cams every sixth month like Canon. I like their way of long term relationship to their stuff and customers. They offer very good customer service (just in case...), including very fast repair service turnaround. I think it is different with Canon.

I don't think there is any way of saying this is better than that. Reading reviews is just more confusing, asking people is even more confusing. Some people just talk about cameras they never had because they like to talk and to pretend to be experts. So it is difficult to know who is telling the truth and who is just a bigtalker. I think you have to make a choise, get a camera and learn that by heart. I guess if you are completely new to SLR, than you'll have a lot to learn but I am 100% sure that whichever camera you'll get you'll be happy with it if you don't listen to all the "negativists" who just want to speak badly about "other" brand than their own.

Good luck!

i'm nt someone getting an olympus..but really feel ure advice is just so informative and from the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by tao
    that is very strange.. my experience with both the E-500 and 350D is that the E-500's AF might be slower, but it is WAY more accurate than that of the 350D's.
    Agreed. My experience with the E1 was that its focusing seems to be more accurate than my 7D. I am not sure if it is because of the focusing on oly system is more accurate or the increased DOF for 4/3 system.

My comments was mainly for 400D vs 350D. One of the things that stopped me from getting the 350D last time was all the talk about the inaccurate focusing for the 350D. 400D on the other hand has the 30D focusing unit which I feel is like day and night difference, I hope.

Hi Eric,

What's wrong with Made In China???

See HERE... (E300 pixs with ZD 14-45mm and ZD 50mm Macro).
    Wish is could shoot like the TS.

Yam Seng...

Quote Originally Posted by lim8395
    i'm nt someone getting an olympus..but really feel ure advice is just so informative and from the heart.
    Thanks! I really miss some of the features other cameras have and if I had another I would miss some of the features Oly has. My experience is based only on E-500. Everything else is just what I read or feel. Actually, even if I had a D70 and a 350D I don't think I could fairly compare the cameras and say which is better because there are still things that one has and the others don't.

Quote Originally Posted by kktan
    Hi Eric,

Yam Seng...
    that guy is really good with his PS! very subtle and indescribably fantastic

Hi Eric,

Yam Seng...
    Agree!!! At such prices these days, its impossible to be made in Japan for almost all makes.

If my memory serves correctly, D70 is made in Thailand.

Having seen some electronic factories in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China and Thailand; I can only conclude they're almost similar .
    Last edited by raycsk; 19th September 2006 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blu-By-U
    If only Oly have enough complains from users will they add a IR reciever at the back of the cam. How many ppl actually take a picture of themself via the remote? Blu wants the remote to be operatable from the back!!!
    I don't think complaining would help, they are never going to take back my E-500 for a mod. Actually, leaving the wire remote out on the E-500 was one of the most stupid decision Oly designers ever made. They thought this camera is not going to be used from a tripod for macro or astro and if it is ever going to be fired from tripod it will be to catch the photographer also. I think there are more people who could use a remote from the back than a remote from the front. Personally I think an IR-eye in the front is OK but I would have more use for a wire remote, one that does not need the battery grip like the E-3xx. So, until my warranty is over, I have to solve that by building my own IR-wire remote to be able to use it as I want to.

Hi Eric,

Yam Seng...
    Hiya,

Nope, nothing against Made in China... dun get me wrong... just a psychological thing i have abt Made in Japan electronics... u know what i mean?

I also know abt Nikon's Made in Thailand etc etc... HEh...

To be honest, having think and thought and ponder... my heart is pretty much set on the E-500... BUT... holding out a bit to check out Pentax's K100D and K10D...

Thanks,
    Eric

Hiya,

Nope, nothing against Made in China... dun get me wrong... just a psychological thing i have abt Made in Japan electronics... u know what i mean?

I also know abt Nikon's Made in Thailand etc etc... HEh...

To be honest, having think and thought and ponder... my heart is pretty much set on the E-500... BUT... holding out a bit to check out Pentax's K100D and K10D...

Thanks,
    Eric
    Hi Eric,

Which ever system you choose, do always remember to enjoy your shoot.

Yam Seng,

Does not matter to what you finally decide. Just shoot and post pictures up for all of us to enjoy. Oh yes, while you are checking, don't forget the samsung GX 1S..comes with a nice lens too. basically it's a pentax but with the german lens.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast