Thread: Question about filter sizes

Default Question about filter sizes

Hi all,

I currently have a 24mm Nikon with 52mm size filter thread, and a 70-210mm with 62mm filter thread. If I want to buy a polarizer filter and a ND grad filter, what size do I buy? Do I get a step down or step up adaptor to fit both lens?

I also intend to get a 18-200 VR sometime in the future. Anyone knows what thread size is that lens?

Default Re: Question about filter sizes

18-200 is using 72mm filters, so for the best deal it is better to get filter of that size and buy step up ring from 52>72 and 62>72

get a 77mm CPL then get the step down ring for ur lens...its better to step down then step up...as step up may cause vignetting...
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

Buy 77mm cir-pl. It will be useful for most (if not all) your lenses. Use several different step-down rings to fit different size of filter thread of the lenses.

Regards,
    Arto.

erm... shouldn't it be step up from the lens filter thread instead of stepping down from the filter size itself?

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ
    erm... shouldn't it be step up from the lens filter thread instead of stepping down from the filter size itself?
    I think the 2 above are just typos.

Since they said buying a bigger 77mm filter, they probably meant using step-up rings and that step-down may cause serious vignetting.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockunder
    I think the 2 above are just typos.

Since they said buying a bigger 77mm filter, they probably meant using step-up rings and that step-down may cause serious vignetting.
    perhaps, just wanna clarify just incase the TS went in to a shop and ask for a 52>77mm step down and the shop owner goes ?_? and gave a 77>52 instead