Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best lens for potrait shots in studio

Blog Entries

Default Re: Best lens for potrait shots in studio

Quote Originally Posted by adamdam
    Alright thanks alot guys =) this thread was really really helpful

Ill be shooting just 42 heads including myself lol

I have only used a DSLR once before for outdoor shooting. Any tips on using a DSLR in the studio? Most prolly im renting or borrowing a Canon 350D.
    set to manual exposure

shutter speed 1/60s
    ISO slowest
    Aperture depentds on light meter reading

remember the bg, light it if needed
    put subject away from bg
    set your lights and beware reflection from glasses
    remember to notice hair and clothes

have fun and good luck

you need to connect the camera to the studio flash, for 350D, i think you need a hotshoe adaptor if you using sync cord, you may use a IR trigger if the studio has it.

the 350D with kit lens can do the job, if you are not particular about the quality

who is setting the studio light for you?

Is all 42 pax in a group photo?
    how are you gonna arrange it?

without the group photo part, the head shots for 42 can be done in less 30 mins, if experienced.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by wanzw
    well IMO a tripod may not be too good. because the students will have different height. need to adj all the way. rather use a grip and be more flexible
    yea....flexibile until after three hours....your wrist will be as flexible as jelly

IUnless u are shooting Before and after Pix. Then, more distortion is always welcome for the "Before" pix. :P

This is how I would do it:

1. Use 50mm. 85mm is a bit long for indoors. Remember you need to have some space between your subject and the background. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT make them stand right up next to the background. You want the background to be nicely out of focus.

2. Use a flash and a bounce card. Aim the flash head at the ceiling. That way you get nice catchlights in the eyes, as well as nice diffuse lighting, and no shadows behind the subject. Even though you're in a studio, using the studio lights would probably be overkill. Take at least 10 shots of each person. There will be idiots who blink 9 times out of 10.

3. Get a battery grip, not because you'll be running out of juice, but because it's much easier to take portrait oriented shots with a battery grip. Holding the camera without a grip in portrait orientation all the time will tire your wrist out very quickly.

4. After you get the passport shots (within 30 minutes), remember to fool around and take lots of goofy, funny shots and poses. These are the ones which will be remembered long afterwards.
    Last edited by StreetShooter; 17th September 2006 at 11:29 PM.

actually i think 85 is still alright for indoor since TS is taking passport style photos which is sort of 'head-only' but its more of personal thing. some like to work furthur from subject while some like closer

Use cable release as well. Its easier than gripping for 3 hours.

Deregistered

Alright!

This is really really really helpful! THANKS!!

Btw, anyone would be so kind enough to come on down to the studio to give me a hand and show me the ropes? I think I roughly know what to do but not sure untill I operate the cam.

Its so exciting yet nervous. haha.

=)

ill blanja you dinner! hehehe

Adamdam

Alright!

This is really really really helpful! THANKS!!

Btw, anyone would be so kind enough to come on down to the studio to give me a hand and show me the ropes? I think I roughly know what to do but not sure untill I operate the cam.

Its so exciting yet nervous. haha.

=)

ill blanja you dinner! hehehe

Adamdam
    the one lent you the studio can't help you with setting up?

I'm sure many would like to help you.

You may provide more info, like size of the studio? beside the studio, is there a area can let the student hand around? what lights is available? etc....
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I personally use 85 on a 1.3 crop for half body shots to face shots now. Space neede between subject and backdrop is roughly 2-3m, and subject to cam is about 5-6m. I'll definitely be happier if there was more room to spare though. Like catchlights said, the guy who rented you the studio should be able to help you set up a typical headshot lighting. If you are still unsure, can try reading up this.
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Deregistered

Okay,

Ill try ask the studio guy to help me out. Anyway, heres the studio ill be using. Ill be bringing my classmates in in groups so that they don't congest the whole place. haha

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...ghlight=katong

Oh yes, how many shots can be fitted into a 1GB card and what format should I take them in? JPEG or RAW?

Alright thanks alot guys =) this thread was really really helpful

Ill be shooting just 42 heads including myself lol

I have only used a DSLR once before for outdoor shooting. Any tips on using a DSLR in the studio? Most prolly im renting or borrowing a Canon 350D.

Hi, the most important things to remember are as follows;

1st, U have to shoot on manual flash and NOT TTL..if U can plug onto e studio flash would be great..

2nd, NO auto exposure thingie its all Manual, use a flash meter..get you lighting Right..

3rd, U can use lens ranging from 50mm onwards..50mm lens on a 1.6x will give U 80mm..

4th, U Have to be familiar with the Camera u are using..R U??

5th, How are U going to shoot yourself?? I noe lots of ppl know how to but do U??

Finally, Best of luck to you..

sorry, but just my 2cents worth..

Okay,

Ill try ask the studio guy to help me out. Anyway, heres the studio ill be using. Ill be bringing my classmates in in groups so that they don't congest the whole place. haha

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...ghlight=katong

Oh yes, how many shots can be fitted into a 1GB card and what format should I take them in? JPEG or RAW?
    Normally I shoot in RAW, but I dun think that's necessary, just a matter of preference. Doesn't your cam show the estimated number of shots you can take when you put in the card?
    If you understand my works, it's photography. If you don't, it's art.
    SplutterPhotography|flickr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12