Thread: Dealing with air-con rooms

Default Dealing with air-con rooms

Hi guys, I have this prob:

Assuming you need to take pictures for a certain place that is very cold, yet come out to a not-so-cold place every now and then too. reason: Cold place is too damn cold to stay for long periods. so this movement/change in temperatures will cause condensation in your cams and lens right? Is there any way to combat this or minimise condensation/ take corrective measures to prevent fungal growth?

Oh, byw, where could i purchase a cheap hygrometer?

Thanks
    Shihan

Default Re: Dealing with air-con rooms

You need to avoid going from a very cold place to a warmer place as that will inevitably cause condensation. I think the best would be a get a jacket so you can stay in cold areas for prolonged periods. However if you cannot avoid this you might want to keep your camera in the bag while you make the transition, giving it a while to warm up before taking it out of the bag to avoid condensation.

i read somewhere that putting the camera in a plastic bag when coming out of the air con room will let the condensation take place on the plastic bag instead of the camera.

i never try it though.

How about leaving the camera inside when you leave the room to get warmth?

Quote Originally Posted by fireframe
    How about leaving the camera inside when you leave the room to get warmth?
    lol I doubt it'll still be there once he comes back for it

Quote Originally Posted by sh_37
    Hygrometer? Is it Humidity Display? If humidity display, you can go to SimLim Tower top level. They are selling Humidity and Temperature display unit around $25-$50, depends on brand and model.

Regards,
    Arto.

Quote Originally Posted by sh_37
    Hi guys, I have this prob:

Assuming you need to take pictures for a certain place that is very cold, yet come out to a not-so-cold place every now and then too. reason: Cold place is too damn cold to stay for long periods. so this movement/change in temperatures will cause condensation in your cams and lens right? Is there any way to combat this or minimise condensation/ take corrective measures to prevent fungal growth?

Thanks
    Shihan
    i would try to keep the camera as warm as possible throughout. Probably by putting it under my jacket or shirt when not shooting, and not putting it down so my hand can continually transfer heat over.

If that doesn not work bcoz it's simply too cold, then i'd try to keep the cam as cold as i can, possibly by leaving it in the bag with cold air trapped inside when i come out to defrost. The idea is to minimize temperature changes so that there is minimal condensation.

How cold is the room anyway?

Erm... snow city cold? hahaha! Yar, like -4 C...

interesting topic.

i face the same problem too (but mine's more travelling) with condensation on lens especially in overseas hotels.

this problem becomes worse when time is of essence like catching the sunrise.

so what i normally do is to leave my camera bag in the toilet with the door shut.