Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Signallers

Default Re: signallers

Quote Originally Posted by Koelsch
    anyone knows what does a signaller in stagmont camp along cck there do? and what's the vocation of a signaller like? please enlighten me thanks!
    oh well depend which unit u go to.....if u go to a Bn (e.g. armour, infantry etc), u might become a chionging signaller....running wif ur PC on the field.....

but if lucky, u get posted to HQ or Bde or Div, den life much easier....usually xiong is mount sets on rovers only.....

Quote Originally Posted by match80
    oh man, signallers. the most siong n bz section during ani outfield exercise.
    prep work: collect signal stores, check equipments, setting up vehicle sets, pack man packs.
    outfield: run lines, lay dipole, squeezing into the small space of the truck comms, man comms, no rest nights. walk LONG distance with the 840 or 940.
    post outfield: unpack everyting, clean signal sets, count stores, send signals.

that the life of units signallers. siong leh. this oni unit own exercise. ATEC come laggi siong.

So if posted to Stagmont Camp(HQ Sig, SOS, 1st Sig Bat) or Gombak Camp(2 Sig Bat) 4 2 yrs, rest and releax liao. Oni siong thing, standby during major events in SG (Eg: IMF, National Day, etc.)
    In brigade also not bad onli exercise a bit siong ...... depending who u attached to like S2 or S3 exercise first one to move off!

Signallers are always very Busy ppl. Esp brigade.
    When no exercise oso busy being target board..hahaha...

HQ will always shout signallers fall in .... then they tell u go get ET plate n stick to go weed the garden or sweep the leaves when the wind are still blowing! or go do area cleaning or anyone wants to go attached for this ex or attach out to OCS or other units to Taiwan, Brunei, Thailand, Austrailia......endless....

If no arrow come we are busy with playing RISK, Carrom, Chess, PS, canteen breaks, onli stop when arrow comes or time for meals n book out!

Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11
    oh well depend which unit u go to.....if u go to a Bn (e.g. armour, infantry etc), u might become a chionging signaller....running wif ur PC on the field.....

but if lucky, u get posted to HQ or Bde or Div, den life much easier....usually xiong is mount sets on rovers only.....
    In BN it is still ok if u r in BN HQ, if not then good luck!!!

in the olden days, its flags, smoke signal, lights.

in the old days, its morse code......

in the not so old days, its lay lines, man the comms, mobile switchboards.

in the modern era, its network, telecom switches, man the field mobile phones, computers......(like a mobile Singtel or Starhub or M1)

its great to be there....

Quote Originally Posted by Koelsch
    anyone knows what does a signaller in stagmont camp along cck there do? and what's the vocation of a signaller like? please enlighten me thanks!
    Hi there,

I have been a CO runner before, and the CO used two have 2 signallers with operates hand in hand with me. The 2 signallers would carry my CO's 2 sets of signal set, 940s, if I remember well, quite heavy as if a pack of 5kg rice on your back. There is set of codes that a signaller must remember like the codes of various key appt holders (like number + alphabets is to who), the weapons codes (like M****S is for what...etc), relay some informations thru signal sets... Also needed to do is, after I have indented the rover, they need to set up the CO's signal which, our RSM, me and the 2 signallers often did before exercise...

Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011
    Hi there,

I have been a CO runner before, and the CO used two have 2 signallers with operates hand in hand with me. The 2 signallers would carry my CO's 2 sets of signal set, 940s, if I remember well, quite heavy as if a pack of 5kg rice on your back. There is set of codes that a signaller must remember like the codes of various key appt holders (like number + alphabets is to who), the weapons codes (like M****S is for what...etc), relay some informations thru signal sets... Also needed to do is, after I have indented the rover, they need to set up the CO's signal which, our RSM, me and the 2 signallers often did before exercise...

haa haa hard work...

I was at HQ.....not backpacks but lots of tonner loads of equipment..

Quote Originally Posted by scramblur11

Hi again,

4get to mention, usually in wartime, besides officers, signallers are the most likely targets for enemy snipers...

Watch where the antenna is hanging during thunderstorms...

Hi again,

4get to mention, usually in wartime, besides officers, signallers are the most likely targets for enemy snipers...

remember seeing a comic at SOS.....

the poor signaller with his radiopack, long antenna sticking out, walking alone...
    his mates are all far far away....

Quote Originally Posted by ernest_ted
    haa haa hard work...

I was at HQ.....not backpacks but lots of tonner loads of equipment..
    Before that 2 signallers came, I did what they did as a makeshift signallers so I do remember some of the codes though... I got to do both a runner (do the CO's map swee swee for him, cook and guard him) at day, and as a makeshift signaller at night.

Signallers will directly be under the Battalion Signal Officer's (BSO, not "B" "A**Hole" like we used to joke) command, he is the one who assign signallers and to come up with codes during excerises.

Hi again,

During thunderstorm is self-declared radio silence or signal strength 1, recieve u wif distortion...hahaha... Safty come first! Or use other sub. equip like u know what....

Hi there,

Aiya... no need to memorise codewords lah... if cant remember juz refer to S.O.I if u r given one... normally onli wif signaller if not check wif ur signallers jus remember ur CO can liao...

Remember to make sure the set is still attached to you after bashing through the jungle. There have been cases where the signaller has the headset attached but no more signal set

Quote Originally Posted by Klose
    Remember to make sure the set is still attached to you after bashing through the jungle. There have been cases where the signaller has the headset attached but no more signal set
    Wah...steady man ... like dat sign 12-06 till xiao!

Quote Originally Posted by melvin
    Me just complete ICT yesterday!!!
    U were at Stagmont last week?

I was there too lei.. supporting the OCTs.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin
    Aiya... no need to memorise codewords lah... if cant remember juz refer to S.O.I if u r given one... normally onli wif signaller if not check wif ur signallers jus remember ur CO can liao...
    s***ay

Any stagmont camp veterans here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage
    Any stagmont camp veterans here?
    Just came out from there in June this year. Had quite a good time there, my bunk faces the west and there's always the most glorious sunsets.

Signals currently going through alot of re-org, now they even have CCNA courses for basic signallers.

Koelsch: IC2 is really the most basic level of signallers, learning about radio and line. Stagmont is a nice camp, with Lot 1 close by for your nights out and a MacDonald's just across the street. Enjoy!

yeah me a signaller in 7SIB during my active time...then reservist post to 685 Guards....haaa..
    bde the command post a lot of stuff to set up, projector, computers, and all the different radio sets and line...get to learn a lot of other equipment also..satalite phone lah, pda, laptop..now a lot of stuff sia...hehee

~Speed Through Skill~

Quote Originally Posted by darrelchia
    stagmont camp which unit ? got HQ Sig, school of signals, 2nd signal bn and various training branches ...

i know got line, VHF radio, trunk comms (UHF), sat comms, data comms (network and such) and other stuff that no one there will talk about...
    need help reporting to stagmont camp, how to get there fastest way from east side pasir ris?
    thankss.

Quote Originally Posted by patz
    need help reporting to stagmont camp, how to get there fastest way from east side pasir ris?
    thankss.
    MRT to CCK. There should be a bus svc to the camp but I'm unsure which bus. Anyhow, the camp is 5mins taxi ride from CCK stn.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast